PC connection for GPS 90 wanted

Old August 30th 03, 11:49 PM
Jim Weir

Default PC connection for GPS 90 wanted

Send me a self-addressed stamped box (the Post Office small video box is
perfect) and I'll loan you mine for a week or so.

You can also get the Garmin connector (cheap) from pfranc.com. Then buy
yourself a DB connector from Rat Shack and you've got one for yourself. The
whole thing together isn't $10 -- almost as cheap as postage to borrow mine.

If you want to borrow mine...

RST Engineering
13993 Downwind Court
Grass Valley CA 95945

($1 Donations to Jim "One Buck" Weir for Governor gratefully accepted.)

Jim

"Roger Long" om

-Would anyone out there be willing to loan me the PC connection kit for a GPS
-90? Will also consider purchase if the price is right.
-
-I'd like to update to the latest database as a stopgap until we build up the
-bank balance for something fancier.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old September 2nd 03, 07:43 PM
Roger Long

Jim,

Thanks for your kind offer. I assumed when I posted that the PC interface
would include a little dongle with buffers, converters, and whatnot. I didn
't realize it's just a cable. I've homebrewed innumerable computer cables
so I should be able to manage this.

Thanks for the pfranc lead.

I'm a bit confused though about their instructions and the business about
the computer port not being able to power the Garmin. For just a database
upgrade, can I let the batteries run the GPS and just ignore the power
issue? Should I just make up the cable with just the data wires?

I'll probably figure this out when I study the pfranc site some more but any
clarification would be appreciated.

--
Roger Long

Old September 2nd 03, 08:45 PM
Jim Weir

There are four pins on the back of the Garmin. Clock, data, power, and ground.
The ground, clock, and data go to the RS-232 plug. You don't HAVE to have
external power, but since you are making up the cable anyway, why not just bring
out the power and an extra ground wire? That way you can run it from a Rat
Shack 12v power supply if you want.

Can you use the internal batteries? You bet. However, getting in the middle of
an upload and having the batteries go flat isn't going to please you.

Jim

"Roger Long" om

-Jim,
-

Old September 2nd 03, 09:52 PM
Roger Long

Will an upload take longer than a set of batteries last? I understand the
database I have in hand is the last that will be provided so I won't be
updating again. I don't mind dedicating a set of batteries to the project.

I decided to order a ready made cable from the fellow in MD. At the price,
I can't justify the soldering time.

--
Roger Long

Old September 2nd 03, 10:01 PM
Dave Butler

Roger Long wrote:
Will an upload take longer than a set of batteries last?

No, it only takes a few minutes. The only problem might be if the batteries are
near death to start with.

Dave

remove SHIRT to reply directly.