Six seat aircraft?

Old August 29th 03, 12:06 AM
Neal

I've seen this one in person a few months ago. Really makes me wish I
had the money to build one myself, even if it is a high-wing ;-)

Ya'll were building the seats the day I was there. I think the
fuselage and tail structures were all complete, but I don't think the
wings were hung on it yet, and firewall-forward was still completely
missing.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:08:02 -0500, Ross Richardson
wrote:

It's one of those 80% done with 80% to go. No web pictures. We are at
the point of doing all the controls. The aircraft is on wheels. But
there is a lot more to do. This started as a quick build, ha.

Ross

Montblack wrote:

Web pics?

How far along is the project? How far to go ....in years g.

--
Montblack

"Ross Richardson"
I am helping a friend build the Moose and it is 6 seater. He is putting
the radial engine on it. We have been at it since Nov of 2002.

Old August 29th 03, 02:43 PM
Mike Rapoport

They list range as 1160nm.

Mike
MU-2

wrote in message

On 28-Aug-2003, Thomas Borchert wrote:

How about the Extra 400.

Have you checked useful load? Have you checked financial status of the
company? Have you looked at it? ;-)

Seriously, that thing has totally marginal useful load. With full fuel,
even the pilot will only fit in barely.

According to Extra's web site, the EA400 has:

Useful Load: 1,254 lbs
Maximum Cruise Speed: 220 KTAS
Fuel (usable): 107 gals
Cruise Fuel Burn: 23 gal/hr

Payload with full fuel is thus 612 lbs, or 3 adults plus baggage. The
bigger problem with limited useful load is the hefty 23 gph cruise fuel
consumption. That limits endurance to about 3 hrs with IFR reserves, not
nearly enough for a high-flying pressurized plane. A fuel stop would be
needed for a trip longer than about 650 nm. Bigger tanks would help, but
then you WOULD be looking at marginal payload.

-Elliott Drucker

Old August 29th 03, 02:58 PM
Mike Rapoport

Sorta demonstrates that a bigger cabin, two more seats, retractible gear,
preasurization, radar, known ice and two sets of flight instruments all add
weight. Of course they add capability too.

I think that the Extra 400 has a useful weight of 1350lb anyway
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont.../extra400.html

Mike
MU-2

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
According to Extra's web site, the EA400 has:

Useful Load: 1,254 lbs

Pshaw. How the heck can they call that a "6-seater"? My 4-seat

Pathfinder
has a 1400+ pound useful load, for gosh sakes...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 29th 03, 03:36 PM

On 29-Aug-2003, "Mike Rapoport" wrote:

They list range as 1160nm.

Obviously, that no-reserve (and thus meaningless) figure is at maximum range
power setting, where fuel consumption will be far below 23 gph.

-Elliott Drucker
Old August 29th 03, 04:00 PM

On 28-Aug-2003, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Pshaw. How the heck can they call that a "6-seater"? My 4-seat
Pathfinder
has a 1400+ pound useful load, for gosh sakes...

Jay,

Want to feel REALLY good about your plane? Consider this:

Comparing "useful load" on different airplane models is often misleading
because of different fuel economy. A far more useful comparison is maximum
payload when fueled for a given mission. For example, what is the payload
available for your Pathfinder when carrying fuel for a 500 nm trip with 1 hr
reserve? Probably about 1000 lbs, right? Enough for four 200 lb adults AND
200 lbs of luggage. Now THAT number really emphasizes your plane's
impressive load-carrying capabilities!

In an Extra 400 fueled for the same mission, maximum payload would only be
about 800 lbs. So, you either have to leave behind 200 lbs or make a fuel
stop. If you make that fuel stop, and assuming it takes 1.5 hrs, the
effective speed of the Extra is reduced to about the same as your
Pathfinder.

-Elliott Drucker
Old August 29th 03, 04:02 PM
Mike Rapoport

They claim that the 1160nm range is at 55% power and includes (presumably
VFR) reserves.

Mike
MU-2

Old August 29th 03, 05:22 PM
Montblack

TBO Hours: 800 ???

--
Montblack

"Mike Rapoport"

Old August 29th 03, 07:00 PM
Mike Rapoport

I think that is an error. The TBO of the Continental TSIOL 550-C is
2000hrs.

Mike
MU-2

"Montblack" wrote in message