PIREP : Lowrance AirMap 500

Old July 4th 04, 06:52 PM
Ardna

Default PIREP : Lowrance AirMap 500

I know a Google search reveals a lot about the Airmap 500 but I am more
interesting in hearing from people who actually own and use one. I am not
interested in discussions between Lowrance and Garmin and which is better
than the other.

In particular..

1. Battery life is meant to be 12 hours , any personal experiences with
this.
2. The external antenna, anyone had to use it inside the aircraft or is the
unit good by itself on the yoke mount?
3. "high-contrast Film SuperTwist display" is meant to be easier to read in
sunlight, experiences ?
4. "One Free Database Update" : how much are normal database updates
5. Anyone had any warranty issues ?

Ardna

Old July 4th 04, 08:12 PM
Ardna

4. "One Free Database Update" : how much are normal database updates

And how often so you really update the database.

Ardna

Old July 5th 04, 08:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ardna,

we sell them in Germany and used one for testing, too. Some answers from our
experience:

1. Battery life is meant to be 12 hours , any personal experiences with
this.

Depends very much on how much you use backlighting. Between 9 and 12 hours is
realistic.

2. The external antenna, anyone had to use it inside the aircraft or is the
unit good by itself on the yoke mount?

We fly a low wing - didn't have to use the antenna. Might be different in a
high wing. The unit is very sensitive and locks on to the GPS signal very
well.

3. "high-contrast Film SuperTwist display" is meant to be easier to read in
sunlight, experiences ?

No problems to read in sunlight at all

4. "One Free Database Update" : how much are normal database updates

The "one free database" offer is only valid right after you buy the unit. An
update is 35 $ for a one-time which you can download via the internet. Very
convenient! Most people update once or twice per year.

5. Anyone had any warranty issues ?

None of our customers had any, yet.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 5th 04, 06:28 PM
Ardna

Thanks Thomas, escepially with the external antenna question, I have seen
differing reviews on that aspect of the Airmap.

I have found a place that have the Airmap for $429 with free shipping, it is
approx. 5 miles down the road but they only do mail order, that probably
means waiting a week for it to be delivered 5 miles.

Ardna

Old July 9th 04, 09:39 PM
Ardna

Actually found a site where the Airmap 500 was $399. Seem to be nice people
to deal with.

http://www.airplanegear.com/lowrance.htm

Ardna

Old July 10th 04, 02:36 AM

We use a Airmap 1000......

2. The external antenna, anyone had to use it inside the aircraft or is the
unit good by itself on the yoke mount?

We have the external ant on the cowl, velcro'ed behind the hand hold
on a 1974 172, works great, lock is within a few secs of powerup. We
tried it on the internal ant, - same..

3. "high-contrast Film SuperTwist display" is meant to be easier to read in
sunlight, experiences ?

No prob in sunlight, but less sun gets directly to the screen than in
a low wing...

5. Anyone had any warranty issues ?

None at all yet...

LOVE the BIG screen!!!! and the multi use screen layouts...

Dave
Old July 12th 04, 03:34 PM
Captain Wubba

"Ardna" wrote in message news:ZtXFc.9738$151.5316@fed1read02...
I know a Google search reveals a lot about the Airmap 500 but I am more
interesting in hearing from people who actually own and use one. I am not
interested in discussions between Lowrance and Garmin and which is better
than the other.

In particular..

1. Battery life is meant to be 12 hours , any personal experiences with
this.

This has been the case with mine. I took it on several cross-country
flights, and changed out the batteries after about 11 hours, before a
4 hour XC, with a reasonable portion of battery life still showing, so
12 hours seems reasonable.

2. The external antenna, anyone had to use it inside the aircraft or is the
unit good by itself on the yoke mount?

I have just used the yoke-mount, sans the external antenna. It has
worked fine, with basically no loss of signal in several different
types of planes, including Cess 172s, Cessna 206s, and Beech 24s. The
only signal loss I saw was a dropout of altitude for about 2 minutes.

3. "high-contrast Film SuperTwist display" is meant to be easier to read in
sunlight, experiences ?

The screen is great. I have never had any issues with it in light
ranging from direct sun to moderate, low-level sunset light. Contrast
range and backlighting are fine.

4. "One Free Database Update" : how much are normal database updates

Beats me. It's not an IFR unit, and the places I fly into don't change
much. I'm pretty certain that Nashville International will be in
basically the same place in a year or so. The 500 doesn't contain
approaches (I believe the 1000 does), so I'm not overly concerned
about database updates. It's only an 'aid' to flight, after all.

5. Anyone had any warranty issues ?

Not yet. had it about 3 months.

Overall, it's a nice unit. I like the obstructions database, and I
like the extended runway feature (almost like a localizer). The HSI
mode is a nice feature and well implemented, although I wish it had a
panel display like the Garmin 196. The features are nice, and the
menuing system is easy to use with one hand.

The Garmin 196 may be a slightly nicer unit simply due to the size of
the display and the panel display (they are quite close in
capability), but costs more than twice the price (when you factor in
buying the yoke mount, external stuff that comes with the Lowrance,
but not with the garmin). It refreshes fast, locks quickly, is pretty
accurate on altitude (due to WAAS, I assume) and has a pretty
reasonable learning curve. Additionally, the manual is very well done.

I'd buy it again with no hesitation.

Cheers,

Cap
Old July 13th 04, 12:52 PM
Kees Mies

"Ardna" wrote in message news:ZtXFc.9738$151.5316@fed1read02...
I know a Google search reveals a lot about the Airmap 500 but I am more
interesting in hearing from people who actually own and use one. I am not
interested in discussions between Lowrance and Garmin and which is better
than the other.

In particular..

Hi Ardna,

I bought a new Airmap 500 about 4 weeks ago after my old GPS55 short
circuited.
Gave a nice smell and some smoke.
Anyway, to your questions.

1. Battery life is meant to be 12 hours , any personal experiences with
this.

Don't know yet, I switched the batteries after the indicator showed
them half.
I'm going to connected it to the onboard power.

2. The external antenna, anyone had to use it inside the aircraft or is the
unit good by itself on the yoke mount?

I had to buy the Airmap during a holiday, and duct-taped the external
antenna on top of the dash.
Works great.
Drawback is the connection, it is on the back.
When removing the Airmap from the holder don't forget to disconnect.

3. "high-contrast Film SuperTwist display" is meant to be easier to read in
sunlight, experiences ?

Works good in sunlight.
As with all LCD's it is hard to read at angles.
Mine needs some attention about this because it is mounted to the
panel, I don't have a yoke.

4. "One Free Database Update" : how much are normal database updates

Don't know yet.

5. Anyone had any warranty issues ?

Not yet

I like the Airmap for its small size and you can use it right out of
the box without having to buy all kind of extras except some spare
batteries.

-Kees
Old July 13th 04, 02:19 PM
Bob Chilcoat

"Kees Mies" wrote in message
om...
"Ardna" wrote in message

I bought a new Airmap 500 about 4 weeks ago after my old GPS55 short
circuited.
Gave a nice smell and some smoke.

It's a well known fact that it's the smoke inside that makes electronics
gadgets work. If the smoke leaks out, they don't work anymore.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old July 13th 04, 03:04 PM
Morgans

"Captain Wubba" wrote

I like the obstructions database, I'd buy it again with no hesitation.

Cheers,

Cap

Without the data being updated at regular intervals, what good is an
obstructions database? At the rate that new towers are put up, you could
count on running into a new tower, if you were flying an old data set.
--
Jim in NC

---