I really should know the answer - Even or Odd altitude ?

Old March 20th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

Default I really should know the answer - Even or Odd altitude ?

I am heading for Sun 'n Fun from Ohio in April and will file IFR over 3
flight legs.
This will be my first flight heading South under instrument rules..
My heading will change from West of South to East of South several times
during each leg of this flight.
The question is do I file for even or odd altitudes ?
I am thinking that I should file the appropriate altitude relative to the
heading to my first waypoint.

I know I should know the answer to my question, but dang this flying stuff,
you are always learning :-)

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

Old March 20th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 3/20/2007 8:49:46 AM, "Roy N5804F" wrote:

The question is do I file for even or odd altitudes ?
I am thinking that I should file the appropriate altitude relative to the
heading to my first waypoint.

File the correct altitude for the first waypoint. ATC will adjust you from
that point forward (assuming they need to do so - sometimes they will just
leave you at the "incorrect" altitude).

--
Peter
Old March 20th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:49:43 GMT, "Roy N5804F"
wrote:

I am heading for Sun 'n Fun from Ohio in April and will file IFR over 3
flight legs.
This will be my first flight heading South under instrument rules..
My heading will change from West of South to East of South several times
during each leg of this flight.
The question is do I file for even or odd altitudes ?
I am thinking that I should file the appropriate altitude relative to the
heading to my first waypoint.

I know I should know the answer to my question, but dang this flying stuff,
you are always learning :-)

Assuming you will be flying and filing IFR in "controlled" airspace, and
NOT on a VFR-on-top clearance, file whatever altitude you like (at or above
the MEA, of course). The odd/even rules only apply in "uncontrolled"
airspace.

In Florida, where most of the airways go N-S, ATC has their own procedure
for assigning altitudes based on those directions.

§ 91.179 IFR cruising altitude or flight level.

(a)In controlled airspace.Each person operating an aircraft under IFR in
level cruising flight in controlled airspace shall maintain the altitude or
flight level assigned that aircraft by ATC. However, if the ATC clearance
assigns “VFR conditions on-top,” that person shall maintain an altitude or
flight level as prescribed by §91.159.
Old March 20th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 3/20/2007 9:54:34 AM, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

The odd/even rules only apply in "uncontrolled"
airspace.

Perhaps in theory, but in reality (and speaking from primarily a northeast US
experience) ATC does prefer to utilize odd/even IFR altitudes. At least once
every couple of months I hear clearance delivery at my home class C airport
in the northeast US point out to a pilot receiving an IFR clearance that
his/her filed altitude is incorrect for direction of flight. In each case, CD
then suggests a "proper" altitude that is accepted by the pilot.

--
Peter
Old March 20th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke

"Peter R." wrote:

The odd/even rules only apply in "uncontrolled"
airspace.

Perhaps in theory, but in reality (and speaking from primarily a northeast
US
experience) ATC does prefer to utilize odd/even IFR altitudes. At least
once
every couple of months I hear clearance delivery at my home class C airport
in the northeast US point out to a pilot receiving an IFR clearance that
his/her filed altitude is incorrect for direction of flight. In each case,
CD
then suggests a "proper" altitude that is accepted by the pilot.

Yep. FSS has corrected me a couple of times when I've attempted to file
"WAFDOF."

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old March 20th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

ATC has their own rules regarding altitude and they match the FAR for
pilots. If ATC uses a wrong altitude he is required to coordinate it
with the next controller.

Old March 20th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:15:18 -0400, "Peter R." wrote:

On 3/20/2007 9:54:34 AM, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

The odd/even rules only apply in "uncontrolled"
airspace.

Perhaps in theory, but in reality (and speaking from primarily a northeast US
experience) ATC does prefer to utilize odd/even IFR altitudes. At least once
every couple of months I hear clearance delivery at my home class C airport
in the northeast US point out to a pilot receiving an IFR clearance that
his/her filed altitude is incorrect for direction of flight. In each case, CD
then suggests a "proper" altitude that is accepted by the pilot.

Yes, but the question asked had to do with what altitude the OP "should"
file. There is no rule specifying what altitude a pilot "should" file in
controlled airspace.

If you've done much flying in the NE, you've probably had your routing
changed also.

Although the even/odd number rules may be the usual case, in the NE (where
I've done most of my flying) and elsewhere, I've both been assigned by ATC;
and also requested and been granted, by ATC, WAFDOF clearances.

Again, that has nothing to do with what altitude I "should file".

And I am told that in FL, ATC has different rules because of the prevelant
N/S orientation of most airways.
Old March 20th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 3/20/2007 2:56:15 PM, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Yes, but the question asked had to do with what altitude the OP "should"
file. There is no rule specifying what altitude a pilot "should" file in
controlled airspace.

And therein is the root of our difference of opinion. I don't interpret the
word "should" to mean "required," as in what altitude is required. Instead,
the word "should" implies to me a request for what is practical and hence my
advice.

In my example, I should always file the correct altitude for direction of
flight if I don't want clearance delivery to correct me, tie up the
frequency, and delay receiving my clearance. But that is just my experience
in the northeast US.

--
Peter
Old March 20th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

IFR altitudes are whatever you ask for and are assigned in
controlled airspace. Any altitude you're comfortable with
will do.

"Roy N5804F" wrote in
message
link.net...