Spin Recovery Training Before First Solo?

Old September 5th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Spin Recovery Training Before First Solo?

The thread "Any Spins Lately" made me wonder. If an instructor does
not teach spin recovery, is it worthwhile to find someone that teaches
spin recovery and take a few lessons before the first solo. If not,
then when would be a good time to do upset and spin recovery training.
Before my first cross country solo or after I get my certificate.

In my case my instructor is close by, but does not do spin recovery
training. I am quite happy with him and have no plans on switching.
However, there is an aerobatics instructor about 60 miles away that I
could use for spin training.

Old September 5th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:
The thread "Any Spins Lately" made me wonder. If an instructor does
not teach spin recovery, is it worthwhile to find someone that teaches
spin recovery and take a few lessons before the first solo. If not,
then when would be a good time to do upset and spin recovery training.
Before my first cross country solo or after I get my certificate.

In my case my instructor is close by, but does not do spin recovery
training. I am quite happy with him and have no plans on switching.
However, there is an aerobatics instructor about 60 miles away that I
could use for spin training.

To completely understand what's involved in spin recovery it's best that
you understand stall. I always introduced a new student to spin recovery
during the stall phase just before solo. This was done as a simple one
turn entry from an accelerated stall at a time when the student had been
properly prepared before hand on what to expect.
What I would suggest you do if your CFI doesn't do spin recovery is to
go ahead and do your stall phase with your CFI, then when you feel you
have a good handle both theory wise and in the cockpit of your stall
work, make a trip up to the acro school and schedule an hour to do spin
recovery. It's an added step for you in your training but I believe it's
a necessary step.
Personally, I never soloed a student who hadn't had simple spin recovery.
You don't need to do prolonged spins unless you want to. Just a turn or
two and recovery is fine. The idea is to become familiar with spin
recovery, not to become completely proficient in all aspects of spins.
I would suggest however, that after gaining your certificate, you go
back to that school and take a few hours of serious aerobatics. Doing
this will make you a much better pilot, even if you never do acro again
after that.
Good luck. If I can be of any help to you, just holler! :-)
Dudley Henriques

--
Dudley Henriques

Old September 5th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Sep 4, 9:21 pm, wrote:

The thread "Any Spins Lately" made me wonder. If an instructor does
not teach spin recovery, is it worthwhile to find someone that teaches
spin recovery and take a few lessons before the first solo. If not,
then when would be a good time to do upset and spin recovery training.
Before my first cross country solo or after I get my certificate.

In my case my instructor is close by, but does not do spin recovery
training. I am quite happy with him and have no plans on switching.
However, there is an aerobatics instructor about 60 miles away that I
could use for spin training.- Hide quoted text -

Javaguy
Dudley gave you some good advice. Why not discuss it with your
instructor? I certainly wouldn't object if you were my student. Not
that it matters, but I found out about spins on my first solo back in
the 50's when I got sloppy on a power on (departure stall) and ended
up on my back entering a spin. Then I spent the better part of the
hour doing spins over and over before I came back for the obligatory 5
take offs and landings (remember, this was over 50 years ago). when I
got back in, my instructor asked where I'd been and what I'd done.
when I told him I did some spins, he just said "OK" and that was it.
That was in a J-5 Piper. Not a BFD then. It still isn't.
Cheers
Ol S&B

Old September 6th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

that it matters, but I found out about spins on my first solo back in
the 50's when I got sloppy on a power on (departure stall) and ended
up on my back entering a spin. Then I spent the better part of the

Maybe I misunderstood you, but are you saying ended up in a departure
stall and spin on your first solo? Are you sure you are alive?

Old September 6th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer

Personally, I never soloed a student who hadn't had simple spin recovery.
You don't need to do prolonged spins unless you want to. Just a turn or
two and recovery is fine. The idea is to become familiar with spin

Got my first logbook out 2/28/1954 it states----
Stalls-P.Off-Coord.Rolls---- Demo. Spin----Forced Lndings.--- It was my
second lesson 2:15 total time at end of lesson. Signed by A.C. Berry CFI
1081564 What a prince of an instructor. I soloed 2 months later :-)

I find numerous other log entries mentioning spins in this first log, but
nothing later on.

Perhaps I need some refresher training. grin

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old September 6th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Tri-Pacer wrote:
Personally, I never soloed a student who hadn't had simple spin recovery.
You don't need to do prolonged spins unless you want to. Just a turn or
two and recovery is fine. The idea is to become familiar with spin

Got my first logbook out 2/28/1954 it states----
Stalls-P.Off-Coord.Rolls---- Demo. Spin----Forced Lndings.--- It was my
second lesson 2:15 total time at end of lesson. Signed by A.C. Berry CFI
1081564 What a prince of an instructor. I soloed 2 months later :-)

I find numerous other log entries mentioning spins in this first log, but
nothing later on.

Perhaps I need some refresher training. grin

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Don't feel bad Paul. I've been retired for quite a while now. Just
imagine the refresher training I'D have to take :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 6th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There is one whale of a difference between spin entry, or incipient
spin and a developed spin.

Yes, but on a first solo I would say it is a very serious event if you
got into a power on stall/incipient spin situation. A power on stall
on a first solo where you just do touch and goes means that it
probably happened during takeoff close to the ground. Was just
wondering how such a serious situation came about with no
consequences.

Old September 7th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Sep 6, 12:52 pm, wrote:
There is one whale of a difference between spin entry, or incipient
spin and a developed spin.

Yes, but on a first solo I would say it is a very serious event if you
got into a power on stall/incipient spin situation. A power on stall
on a first solo where you just do touch and goes means that it
probably happened during takeoff close to the ground. Was just
wondering how such a serious situation came about with no
consequences.

Girish
Yes you misunderstood what I was saying. On my first solo (in the
50's) my instructor told me to go practice some airwork, then return
for the take offs and landings. While I was practicing stalls is when
I got into my first spin. To that point I had not done any...simply
had read about them and followed the procedures. Then my curiosity got
the best of me and I continued to do a number of spins before I came
back in for my obligatory take off and landings. Seems like the
training was quite a bit different back then? I've continued to teach
stall/spin and highly encourage my students to get spin training no
matter where it is.
I'm heartened by some of the posts by older pilots who trained back
when I did and are still active. I first got my CFI in 1967 and have
been active ever since, and still am at 71 and do 70-80 hours a month
of dual flight instruction in both airplanes and helicopters.
Cheers
Ol S&B

Cirrus spin recovery was tested. Was: Why does airspeed change when I adjust the prop? Jim Logajan Piloting 29 January 25th 07 12:59 AM
Cable break recovery spin entry... as previously discussed [email protected] Soaring 26 July 3rd 05 08:28 AM
SR22 Spin Recovery gwengler Piloting 9 September 24th 04 07:31 AM
inverted spin recovery explanation Alan Wood Aerobatics 18 August 19th 04 03:32 PM
Edelweiss - Spin recovery procedures Uri Saovray Soaring 7 March 15th 04 12:41 AM