Increase competition participation by increasing the fun!

Old September 25th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Giltner[_1_]

Default Increase competition participation by increasing the fun!

Please check out my most recent topic"Increase competition participation
by increasing the fun". Your comments are appreciated.
www.5Ugly.blogspot.com
Old September 25th 08, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lrbj

On Sep 25, 2:07*am, Sam Giltner wrote:
Please check out my most recent topic"Increase competition participation
by increasing the fun". Your comments are appreciated.www.5Ugly.blogspot.com

In Norway we have a fully automatic scoring, giving preliminary
results on our web as soon as the log have been delivered
electronically via email, web or added by comp director. Several days
the first scored flights have been the ones who has outlanded...

Is this unique to Norway????

/LRB
Old September 25th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck

Checking Sam's blog concerning the "fun" issue leaves me confused. He makes
sweeping generalizations about how the scoring system (Winscore) is
depriving us of fun without a single proposal on how Sam intends to change
this. The engineers on the rules committee need more than vague expressions
of discontent if they are expected to make any rational decisions.

I also note Sam's comment that he is getting a great response to his blog,
but I see the number zero on all the comment tallies. Perhaps I'm doing
something wrong with my mouse? At any rate here is one I just sent in case
it doesn't get posted:

"What is the statistical basis for your assertion that "competition is at an
all time low" when it looks to me like the total number of pilots attending
contests in the US is at or near an all time high?"

Karl Striedieck

Old September 25th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 24, 8:07*pm, Sam Giltner wrote:
Please check out my most recent topic"Increase competition participation
by increasing the fun". Your comments are appreciated.www.5Ugly.blogspot.com

I guess Sam and I fly in different kinds of contests.
In 3 out of the 4 contests I have flown this year, scores were
available before dinner. Maybe not so much
fun when my score ruins my appetite. The 4th , with a lees active
scorer , had scores shortly after dinner.
Maybe I can contribute to this discussion Sam has inroduced with an
alternate view of things that seem to me to contribute to "fun" in
competition flying.
1) Great social events that keep the group together. This tends to
increase attendance by wives in particular and reduce "solo pilot
stress". It also seems to increase participation by local contest
workers and supporters. Perry, Mifflin, New Castle, and CCSC are ones
I have flown at that show this trend strongly.
2) A nurturing atmosphere for new pilots coming in and trying our our
sport at this level. Rookie schools, individual mentoring, and
recognition of the best flight each day by a newbie are all easy ways
to do this.
3) An accomodating atmosphere for our senior group so they have some
place to have fun and keep participating. This may mean somewhat
shorter tasking than might otherwise be the case. This is appropriate
for regionals but not consistent with the philosphy of nationals.
4) Conservative tasking with intent to get pretty much everybody home.
Appropriate for regionals, but less so for nationals where the
objectives are a bit more toward the world level. I personally note
that for me regionals are much more fun- less is at stake.
5) As always, great organizers, lots of tugs, and good weather help.

Anybody else got some ideas on this?
UH
Old September 25th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PMSC Member

Anybody else got some ideas on this?

The two regionals (Region 1, Region 4 South) I flew this year were
well organized, well run, well attended and well scored. Tasking was
generally excellent.

The TAT task is a giant leap forward in regional tasking. It's fun,
it's safe, it's interesting. The overall contest atmosphere was great
at both venues. Help was always available for the asking. The
rookies were well taken care of. The rookies that I know personally
had a great time and will be back. Friends that attended contests
that I didn't have similar reports. On the whole, I'd say the
organizers are knocking themselves out to make these events go and
their efforts are well appreciated by most.

The rules changes that have been implemented since I last flew
competitively are good ones, too.

-Evan Ludeman /a/k/a T8

Soaring and Critical Mass of Participation. plasticguy Soaring 30 February 8th 05 09:47 PM
Air Force seeks to increase military participation in 8th annual . Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 June 18th 04 10:53 PM
Motorglider participation in USA contests Eric Greenwell Soaring 0 October 11th 03 02:17 AM
increasing performance D.A.L Soaring 2 September 22nd 03 05:23 PM
Change in TAS with constant Power and increasing altitude. Big John Home Built 6 July 13th 03 03:29 PM