A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 6th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

I measured and modeled all the instruments in 2D - including the holes and the case cross-sections. I managed to arrange them such that they form a near-solid block (many of them touch cases to add stability). I also measured the backside of the panel because there is some curvature and wall thickness to account for, so I created a standoff buffer/border around the edge.

I taught myself to use AutoCAD as part of this exercise, so I did some simple checks to ensure that there was clearance along the length of each instrument. With some additional effort you can create a 3D model of the instrument panel and cavity as well as each instrument. I didn't find this necessary for the -27. A friend who did a panel for his Ventus used SolidWorks to make a full 3D model (Fusion 360 will allow you to do this without spending $4000 on software). It may help for specific situations though generally there isn't a significant constraint unless your instruments are super-deep.

Here's a link to the panel layout I did. You can see each instrument case is modeled in addition to the cutouts - as well as the panel backside offset. I used very tight tolerances for the instrument holes - so much so that I had to do a little bit of sanding on some holes to fit the the instrument. Makes for a very clean installation - much better than you get using a standard hole cutter and suits my perfectionist streak.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YH...VONRIDR67sUJlY

Andy

Sweet! I expected no less from you.

Sorta like I did 27 years ago. In my workshop, I occasionally find one of the cardboard circle templates I used to draw around before I used my saber saw (rough work; e.g., ASI) or coping saw (fine work; e.g., the adjustment tab on my altimeter) to make the cutouts. Like you, I had to do a little sanding, too.

Of course, the next level of sophistication is "future proofing" your panel by building in the ability to accommodate a range of possible/likely instrument changes/upgrades. When I added the proprietary CAI sleeve/RAM mount for the Compaq 1550 handheld 20+ years ago, I'd cleverly left room for another 57mm instrument. So I plopped the CAI mount on the existing hole and moved the clock to the new hole I cut.

Technology marches on.

Chip Bearden