Your opinions, please!

Old December 12th 03, 11:13 PM
Bob Noel

In article OXoCb.322300$Dw6.1094050@attbi_s02, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Our new rec.aviation "Rogue's Gallery" of pictures.

Since our new website is obviously becoming more popular with you folks
every day, I need some advice on how to proceed:

1. Should I include "anonymous" posters?

if you want to, go ahead. Maybe put the "anonymous" ones on
a separate page.

[snip]
3. Should I include email addresses?

absolutely not. well, include the email address ONLY if
the contributer explicitly allows it or want it included.

--
Bob Noel
Old December 12th 03, 11:27 PM
Richard Riley

:
:Since our new website is obviously becoming more popular with you folks
:every day, I need some advice on how to proceed:
:
:1. Should I include "anonymous" posters? I have received pictures from
:several folks who do not wish to use their real names, have their "N"
:numbers visible, or have their home bases publicized. To me this seems
:bizarre, since the whole point of "showing off" your plane is to "show
ff" -- and how can you do *that* anonymously? Still, I've posted a
:couple of them, but I'm not sure of how to proceed. It's YOUR page -- what
:do you folks think?

Why not? Anonymous pictures wouldn't have as much use as
non-anonymous (nominous?) ones do, but it doesn't cost anything to
post them. If they're asking *you* to blurr out their N numbers,
that's different and you should turn them down.
:
:2. The page is slowing waaaay down. I really like the format of the page,
:but as it grows it's getting really slow to open. How's it running for you?
:Too slow? Okay, yet? How slow is too slow?

Runs OK for me on a cable modem. I like the thumbnails.
:
:3. Should I include email addresses? I've not included them, thus far --
:but I thought it might be valuable to have an email "directory" of
articipants?

If you do, make them spambot resistant, like richard atsign riley
period net.

Old December 13th 03, 01:43 AM
Jay Honeck

We all know the problem with our pilot license numbers. The
name and address of a pilot, his SS number and the exact N-number,
serial number, and address of his airplane, a very valuable tangible
asset, might make easy picking for an identity thief. Am I being
overly cautious, yes.

You know, I hear this ALL THE TIME -- yet, I've never met a single person
who has actually suffered from "identity theft".

As you all know, I use my real name, my real address, my real email address
(well, mostly), and the real name of my business -- thus far, with minimal
hassle. Am I being stupid? Dunno -- but I simply can't bring myself to hide
behind a phony name.

I *really* enjoy the new Visa commercials, with the guy's voice-over on the
little old lady -- they're hilarious and really get the point across about
the risks of identity theft. However, they *are* trying to sell a product,
and (as a result) the cynic in me rises to the fore. I just have to wonder
if this whole "identity theft" thing isn't a product of Madison Avenue, once
again trying to fan the flames of our own paranoia, in an effort to sell us
something?

Does anyone know a real person who has suffered this fate?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 13th 03, 01:51 AM
Al Gilson

On 12/12/03 11:47 AM, in article "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Our new rec.aviation "Rogue's Gallery" of pictures.

Since our new website is obviously becoming more popular with you folks
every day, I need some advice on how to proceed:

OK..thanks for asking.

1. Should I include "anonymous" posters? I have received pictures from
several folks who do not wish to use their real names, have their "N"
numbers visible, or have their home bases publicized. To me this seems
bizarre, since the whole point of "showing off" your plane is to "show
off" -- and how can you do *that* anonymously? Still, I've posted a
couple of them, but I'm not sure of how to proceed. It's YOUR page -- what
do you folks think?

I vote no. If they don't want people knowing who, where, and what they are,
why are they sending you photos? Do they really own/fly the plane?

2. The page is slowing waaaay down. I really like the format of the page,
but as it grows it's getting really slow to open. How's it running for you?
Too slow? Okay, yet? How slow is too slow?

OK for me now, but I have cable.

3. Should I include email addresses? I've not included them, thus far --
but I thought it might be valuable to have an email "directory" of
participants?

Normally, I'd repeat my answer to #1 but, with all of the e-mail
harvesting/spamming. I'd say only if people want you too and won't complain
if they get spammed as a result.

Thanks for your help!

You're very welcome. It's a great page!

Al
1964 Skyhawk 3082U
alcessnapilot at comcast.net

Old December 13th 03, 02:10 AM
Ben Sego

Jay Honeck wrote:
Does anyone know a real person who has suffered this fate?

Yes. Over 10 years ago, I received a call from the Secret Service asking
if I would be willing to help prosecute someone who had multiple
credit cards in my name and that of many other people. I, of course,
cooperated.

As it happens, they had caught the guys before much had been purchased
on the credit card numbers, and while the physical cards were still in
their possession.

They (the bad guys) had obtained identifying information by picking the
utterly ineffective lock on postal clusterboxes at various apartment
complexes in Dallas. They were caught, the agent told me, due to an
unusual number of new telephone line installation requests that were
made to an apartment. The complex owner got suspicious, and called the
local cops. The local cops figured it was a numbers operation, and
called in the Feds. The FBI handed it to Treasury after observing an
unsually high volume of what appeared to be credit card statements going
to the same address. Phone record analysis gave them enough along with
every thing else gave them enough to get a search warrant, as I recall.
(Lots of calls from credit card companies calling for verification.
This was apparently necessary because they were asking for cards at an
address for which there was no other sustantiating information; they
claimed a new move. CC company called "employer" to verify. Each phone
represented a different fake employer, for whom they (the bad guys) had
a list of "employees." They gave the CC company the new address in
verification, and the card was issued.)

They had so much evidence that I never had to testify. They (the Secret
Service) also worked directly with the credit card companies to get the
whole mess cleaned up.

So, yes, I know someone. Me.

Ben Sego

Old December 13th 03, 02:32 AM
Dave Hyde

Jay Honeck wrote:

Does anyone know a real person who has suffered this fate?

Yes, and he's been trying to straighten it out for
at least two years now.

Dave 'easy credit' Hyde

Old December 13th 03, 02:48 AM
tony roberts

Hi Jay

1. Should I include "anonymous" posters?

No. To me the main point of interest is that through these groups I know
the people posting. If they are anonymous, then what is the point?
No problem if they don't want their home base publicised though.

2. The page is slowing waaaay down. I really like the format of the page,
but as it grows it's getting really slow to open. How's it running for you?
Too slow? Okay, yet? How slow is too slow?

Runs great for me, although I do have high speed cable access.

3. Should I include email addresses?

Up to the individual. I don't mind, because the email address that I use
in the rec groups is a hotmail one, used especially for the rec groups.
I wouldn't use my primary address as I like to keep it spam free.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 13th 03, 03:50 AM
Doug

Since we all know each other by our posting identities, why not use
those? It is possible that someone might use the info about the plane
and/or pilot for other than honorable purposes. Some posters might
have valid reasons to use a different or incomplete name. Aircraft
theft, avionics theft, identity theft are all things that do occur
from time to time in our society. We can be somewhat selective about
who gets to know us in "real life". But we can't control at all who
views our posts, etc.

Old December 13th 03, 04:26 AM
Dashi

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We all know the problem with our pilot license numbers. The
name and address of a pilot, his SS number and the exact N-number,
serial number, and address of his airplane, a very valuable tangible
asset, might make easy picking for an identity thief. Am I being
overly cautious, yes.

You know, I hear this ALL THE TIME -- yet, I've never met a single person
who has actually suffered from "identity theft".

Well while don't you test it. Start posting your social security number on
this newsgroup and others.

Probably nothing will happen.

As you all know, I use my real name, my real address, my real email

address
(well, mostly), and the real name of my business -- thus far, with minimal
hassle. Am I being stupid? Dunno -- but I simply can't bring myself to

hide
behind a phony name.

You are just being stupid. Yes.

I *really* enjoy the new Visa commercials, with the guy's voice-over on

the
little old lady -- they're hilarious and really get the point across about
the risks of identity theft. However, they *are* trying to sell a

product,
and (as a result) the cynic in me rises to the fore. I just have to

wonder
if this whole "identity theft" thing isn't a product of Madison Avenue,

once
again trying to fan the flames of our own paranoia, in an effort to sell

us
something?

Kind of like you posting your business url on every post, eh?

Does anyone know a real person who has suffered this fate?

Yes.

Do you know anyone that has been murdered?

dashi
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993