A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ventus 3 Performance In Perry SC

Old April 29th 19, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Ventus 3 Performance In Perry SC

On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 11:32:18 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 10:09:31 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
V3's also took the bottom two spots, or two of the bottom five, considering that the only ones below were withdrawn.

15 and 18m Nationals will be interesting this year now that JS-3s are in the country.

Perry is kind of weird with "FAI" classes but no water ballast.

Perry is it's own thing. You have pilots that are current, pilots that are contest current and guys that haven't flown in six months. The weather is whatever it is (highly variable, this year four low blue days, medium hard to really hard).

18s and 15s allow water. Water was not an advantage this year. I gridded dry three days, carried water halfway around one day, was glad to be rid of it when I finally dumped it.

Gliders win nothing, especially with speeds in 40s, 50s and low 60s. This year's winners, Dick, Erik, Jason and Chris are a fine bunch of pilots. 15s was a lot of fun. See you guys next year!

Evan / T8

T8: Nice work in the '20! Second overall and the last day win...
Old April 29th 19, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

V3's also took the bottom two spots, or two of the bottom five, considering that the only ones below were withdrawn.

15 and 18m Nationals will be interesting this year now that JS-3s are in the country.

Perry is it's own thing. You have pilots that are current, pilots that are contest current and guys that haven't flown in six months. The weather is whatever it is (highly variable, this year four low blue days, medium hard to really hard).

18s and 15s allow water. Water was not an advantage this year. I gridded dry three days, carried water halfway around one day, was glad to be rid of it when I finally dumped it.

Gliders win nothing, especially with speeds in 40s, 50s and low 60s. This year's winners, Dick, Erik, Jason and Chris are a fine bunch of pilots. 15s was a lot of fun. See you guys next year!

Evan / T8

65 gliders, low weak, blue, and sometimes windy, and not a scratch on a glider.
UH/SST
Old April 29th 19, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Monday, 29 April 2019 12:00:45 UTC-6, Dan Daly wrote:

Evan / T8

T8 would have won if he did not get the 250 UO (unsafe operation) penalty on Wednesday. OUCH
Old April 29th 19, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 2:18:12 PM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:

Evan / T8

T8 would have won if he did not get the 250 UO (unsafe operation) penalty on Wednesday. OUCH

Yep. I made a mistake / owned it / apologized to the CD even before I knew I'd got the penalty. Crummy pattern for a relight. Didn't scratch anything, but margins were too thin / not up to my usual standard. If that's a national record for a UO penalty, I promise to be humble about it.

-T8
Old April 29th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Why not just live in the Reno/Carson City area?Â* Or Moriarty, for that
matter.

On 4/29/2019 11:34 AM, Ramy wrote:
I realize I am hijacking the thread but if you want to always be ready and live in an area where soaring season never ends and you can fly cross country in thermals or wave every month of the year without having to drive more than 3-4 hours then central California (Bay Area) is your place. Just check OLC...

Ramy

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 29th 19, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Except for Club Class...plenty of room left on the entry list for Sunday flower 2019!
Old April 29th 19, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 2:34:59 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 2:18:12 PM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:

Gliders win nothing, especially with speeds in 40s, 50s and low 60s.. This year's winners, Dick, Erik, Jason and Chris are a fine bunch of pilots. 15s was a lot of fun. See you guys next year!

Evan / T8

Yep. I made a mistake / owned it / apologized to the CD even before I knew I'd got the penalty. Crummy pattern for a relight. Didn't scratch anything, but margins were too thin / not up to my usual standard. If that's a national record for a UO penalty, I promise to be humble about it.

-T8

Not even close to the record. Record is lose all your points and ejection.
UH
Old April 29th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

(Continuing hijacking the thread)
Many folks move to Reno/Carson area to retire and enjoy fantastic soaring for 4-5 month per year, the rest of the year the glider seats in the trailer (except a small handful of pilots who can fly the Sierra wave in class A).
Living in the Bay Area or Central Valley gives you access to great soaring year around.

Ramy
Old April 29th 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ill plug AZ too we fly most weekends, if we had a fbo and not a club I would post a xc flight at least every other week all winter long at Prescott
Old April 30th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Haha Ramy - please let us know what the average cost is of a nice 4,000’ home in SF or the Central Valley?

Warm hugs (and let’s fly together again soon),
Bruno - B4