Short Wings Gliders

Old January 31st 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Default Short Wings Gliders

Pretty amazing. $45 per hour.

Not so amazing considering that virtually all my tows are aerotows, that
all our gliders are equipped with LX5000, an EDS oxygen system and good
instruments, that the LS4 is our low end glider etc. Not to mention a
couple fo TMG hours.

I certainly couldn't even think of flying a comparable glider if I had
to own it.
Old January 31st 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

You call $2000 "down"? Gosh.

It has been our decision to operate a fleet of high end gliders, and
somehow it must be paid. Of course if we operated a fleet of ASK13 and
K8 with basic instrumentation and our thermal situation would allow to
go cross country from the winch...
Old January 31st 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 30, 2:46*pm, John Smith wrote:
I don't know a single glider pilot who doesn't think that power flying
is just plain dull. Certainly useful, but nevertheless dull.

Well it's true that you don't know me, but if you did I'd raise the
count from zero to one. I've instructed, towed, flown jumpers, flown
sea planes, and tail wheel, done some aerobatics, dodged weather to
deliver blood and even flew one of them whirly things (Bell 47) once.
In fact all sorts of flying of powered aircraft ranging in size from a
J3 to an MD-11. Some parts were routine, some part of it were
exciting, but I don't remember thinking that any of it was dull.

Dull is sitting in glider and staying within gliding range of the
launch point while your friends race.

Andy
Old January 31st 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

friends race.

Andy

define race?

Brad

Old January 31st 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Silent[_2_]

At 22:57 30 January 2009, Andreas Maurer wrote:

Pretty amazing. $45 per hour.
Just for comparison:
In Germany a glider is regarded as "expensive" if it costs 10 Euro per
hour. Usually the fee per hour for a standard class glider is about 5
Euro per hour, 8 to 10 Euro being a Duo Discus.

US$45 per hour. VERY GOOD DEAL FOR 100 H

typical in Canada:
CA$120 per hour rent a C150
CA$160 per hour rent a C172 with 5000.00 in advance
CA$180 per hour rent a Sinus Motorglider
CA$100 per hour club plastic glider double seater
CA$100 per short joy glider ride
CA$100 per hour as ballast on a Duo

(sometime the cad is at par with the usd)

But up here we complain more about ****ty weather
then high prices....................

By the way, to stay on the topic, any short wing glider made in
Germany???

Old January 31st 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Jan 30, 4:41*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jan 30, 1:25*pm, toad wrote:

Bob,

I've been following the HP-24 pages for a while. *I can't see creating
a HP-24 in a "modest" amount of time, but send me the brochure ! * I
would be very excited.

Most of the time we've spent on the project has been dedicated to
making tooling and developing prototypes. I figure the actual build
time for the finalized kit will be down around 350 hours.

The only thing we have in the way of a brochure is he

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/web_24_3view7.pdf

Thanks, Bob K.

It that 350 for you or for me :-)

Just kidding, I'll figure in the standard safety factor for kit built
aircraft. But seriously, will it require a builder to do the
gelcoat finishing ? That sounds like a huge amount of work just
there.

Todd

PS nice Yosemite pics, makes me want to go see the place again. A
long time ago I visited summers to climb there.
Old January 31st 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Silent[_2_]

At 23:45 30 January 2009, Andy wrote:

Dull is sitting in glider and staying within gliding range of the
launch point while your friends race.

Andy

THIS DULL IS FINE FOR ME, Mr Beenthere Donethat!
Particularly on a SWG (Short Wing Glider)
Or flying a magnificent 30:1 ASK21, sometime unable to get to
the next thermal, but having FUN!

Old January 31st 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jan 30, 4:25 pm, toad wrote:
...But seriously, will it require a builder to do the
gelcoat finishing ? That sounds like a huge amount of work just
there.

I don't know yet. So far gelcoat has been a big pain for us.

If we do supply shells without gelcoat, it doesn't necessarily mean
that the builder will have to mess with gelcoat themselves. It just
means that the builder will apply primer and then topcoat, which can
be relatively straightforward with the water-borne composite finishing
systems available these days.

PS nice Yosemite pics, makes me want to go see the place again. A
long time ago I visited summers to climb there.

Well, come on back if you can. If you get here early some morning
we'll cruise the Royal Arches or something easy like it.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old January 31st 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 00:23:08 +0100, John Smith
wrote:

You call $2000 "down"? Gosh.

It has been our decision to operate a fleet of high end gliders, and
somehow it must be paid. Of course if we operated a fleet of ASK13 and
K8 with basic instrumentation and our thermal situation would allow to
go cross country from the winch...

Which aircraft do you have, and what do you charge for an aerotow?

Old January 31st 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On 31 Jan 2009 00:15:02 GMT, Dan Silent wrote:

By the way, to stay on the topic, any short wing glider made in
Germany???

Sure - the Lo-100 and Mü-28 unlimited aerobatic gliders... vbg

Seriously there have been at least a dozen gliders with less than 15
meters... but they all were only prototypes made by akafliegs. Less
than 15 meters never sparked any interest of customers.

And, of course, the Ka-6 started with 14.40 meters.