Garmin 430 simulator

Old October 25th 05, 01:23 AM
John Doe

Default Garmin 430 simulator

Has anyone had a problem installing the Garmin 430 simulator (from their
website) onto their computer?

Mine is running Win XP and it won't install it; gives some error about
16-bit code and then just shuts down during install.

Has anyone gotten this program running on an XP machine?

Thanks.

Old October 25th 05, 01:55 PM
Joe Morris

"John Doe" writes:

Has anyone had a problem installing the Garmin 430 simulator (from their
website) onto their computer?

Mine is running Win XP and it won't install it; gives some error about
16-bit code and then just shuts down during install.

Has anyone gotten this program running on an XP machine?

I've had no problems with it...at least when I downloaded it several
years ago.

There are some spyware programs that will deliberately damage the 16-bit
interface in XP that is used by some applications. A couple of things
to check, either of which can cause 16-bit subsystem problems:

* Look in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32 for the files "autoexec.nt", "config.nt",
and "command.com". All should be present; if any of them is missing
the fastest fix is to copy them from another XP system at the same SP
level. After restoring them, reboot the system: if they disappear again
you've got a spyware problem. See MSKB article 324767 for more info.

* Using REGEDIT, navigate to the key:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDevic eDrivers

and under that key look in the right pane for the data item "VDD".
If the item type for VDD is anything other than "REG_MULTI_SZ"
delete the key, then recreate it as REG_MULTI_SZ. See MSKB
article 254914, even though it doesn't document applicability
to XP.

Oh yes...if you don't have a good anti-spyware (or two, or three)
you need to get one. Unlike antivirus or firewall programs, it's
generally considered a good idea to at least consider running several
anti-spyware programs since none of them seems to be able to catch
all of the nasty stuff that's running around the Internet.

SECURITY NOTE: I don't know you, and you don't know me. The above
procedures are appropriate responses to the symptoms you describe,
but you have no particular reason to trust such instructions from
someone who you don't have affirmative reason to trust. If you
don't feel comfortable with your ability to analyze the recommendations,
find a friend who you trust to give you good advice about them.

Joe Morris
Old October 25th 05, 06:33 PM
John Doe

"Joe Morris" wrote in message
"John Doe" writes:

[...]

Yea, it seems I'm missing autoexec.nt and that is the error that comes up
during install.

Thanks,

I'll get it replaced.

Old October 25th 05, 09:09 PM