IFR with a VFR GPS

Old November 10th 05, 01:57 AM
Jonathan Goodish

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:
Assuming the pilot is continually tuning his traditional navigation radios,
then including those in his instrument scan. And what if he does not?

You asked what the risks of flying IFR with a VFR GPS are. There's one.

Why wouldn't you use all available information? I never rely on any one
source if I have supplementary sources of information available, GPS or
no GPS.

JKG
Old November 10th 05, 02:06 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Yes I did. Just because your newsgroup pride won't let you recognize it
doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Are you seriously going to maintain that the risk in flying IFR with a VFR
GPS is that it will cause the pilot to leave his required nav radios off and
he will then not recognize if he has drifted off the assigned airway in a
nonradar environment?

Old November 10th 05, 02:08 AM
Peter R.

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Why wouldn't you use all available information? I never rely on any one
source if I have supplementary sources of information available, GPS or
no GPS.

I was merely identifying one risk of using a VFR GPS, not stating that
everyone who flies with a VFR GPS does not use all available information.

Recall that the NTSB accident database has at least one recent C172 fatal
accident where the NTSB concluded that the pilot was flying a GPS approach
with nothing but a VFR GPS.

--
Peter

Old November 10th 05, 02:08 AM
Peter R.

Ron Lee wrote:

You should note that if you lose lock (too few satellites) then your
display will start flashing (or portions of it). That is not RAIM
which determines if you have a signal error.

Just to clarify, are you saying that a *VFR* GPS's screen flashes when the
GPS loses the required number of satellites for position calculation and
that error is not a result of built-in RAIM?

--
Peter

Old November 10th 05, 02:10 AM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Are you seriously going to maintain that the risk in flying IFR with a VFR
GPS is that it will cause the pilot to leave his required nav radios off and
he will then not recognize if he has drifted off the assigned airway in a
nonradar environment?

Yes, I am going to maintain that premise because even more unthinkable,
someone was actually killed flying a GPS approach with nothing but a VFR
GPS. If someone was crazy enough to do that, then I certainly do not have
a problem believing that someone might attempt navigation on an assigned
airway with nothing but a VFR GPS.

--
Peter

Old November 10th 05, 02:14 AM
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

Yes, I am going to maintain that premise because even more unthinkable,
someone was actually killed flying a GPS approach with nothing but a VFR
GPS.

Here's the accident report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...23X05372&key=1

--
Peter

Old November 10th 05, 02:18 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Yes,

Then you have identified yourself as an idiot.

Old November 10th 05, 02:19 AM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Then you have identified yourself as an idiot.

A personal attack in place of a logical response to my evidence presented.

I expected more of you.

--
Peter

Old November 10th 05, 03:04 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Peter R. wrote:
A personal attack in place of a logical response to my evidence presented.
I expected more of you.

Peter, that was where you went wrong.

Gerald
Old November 10th 05, 03:08 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

A personal attack in place of a logical response to my evidence presented.

I expected more of you.

That's not a personal attack. You took an idiotic position. I even asked
you to confirm your position, and you did. Idiotic positions are taken by
idiots.