IFR with a VFR GPS

Old November 11th 05, 02:59 PM
Ron Lee

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

Peter wrote:

As a pilot based in the UK, where virulent anti-GPS attitude still
remains among large sections of the GA community (not to mention the
entire GA section of the CAA, apparently) I read this thread with some
amusement!

Peter, why are people there anti-GPS?

Ron Lee
Old November 11th 05, 03:07 PM
Peter R.

Ron Lee wrote:

Peter, why are people there anti-GPS?

Most likely because in its current form, GPS availability is controlled by
the US Gov't. If the roles were reversed, I might also share this
sentiment.

--
Peter

Old November 11th 05, 03:13 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Most likely because in its current form, GPS availability is controlled by
the US Gov't. If the roles were reversed, I might also share this
sentiment.

So an extremely accurate navigational system is available and paid for
completely by another nation. What's not to like about that?

Old November 11th 05, 03:30 PM
Thomas Borchert

Steven,

So an extremely accurate navigational system is available and paid for
completely by another nation. What's not to like about that?

Uhm, the somewhat unpredictable boss, George Bush. While I would think it
unconceivable to switch GPS off because of the economic consequences,
with this guy, you never know what god will tell him to do next or some
such nonsense.

I still don't think that's the reason for an anti-GPS sentiment in the UK
- if it exists.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 11th 05, 03:30 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

where virulent anti-GPS attitude still
remains among large sections of the GA community

Hmm. Data? Or at least some indications?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 11th 05, 03:30 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

Most likely because in its current form, GPS availability is controlled by
the US Gov't.

That would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it? Because that control has no
practical consequences. In reality, money controls GPS. And the economic
impact of GPS has become WAY too high for it to ever be switched off.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 11th 05, 03:31 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Peter wrote:
When my hand held Garmin loses enough sats for position calculation, I
receive an alarm on the unit (both visual and audible).

Right, but some of the old units (the 10 year old but still widely
used Garmin 195 being one case that keeps popping up anecdotally)
don't implement this properly.

I used to own a 195, and I'm pretty sure that it alerted me when it lost
position, but I no longer own it, so I can't verify if or how this
functionality existed. It's easy enough to implemented I can't imagine
any hand held manufacturer excluding it.

JKG
Old November 11th 05, 03:45 PM
Peter R.

wrote:

That accident was the result of the pilot's failure to fly the correct
altitude. It had nothing to do with the type of GPS being used.

Perhaps, but the reason for my reference to the accident in this thread was
to support my point that the possibility exists for instrument-rated pilots
to use a VFR GPS as the only means of navigation. It is unquestionable
that this accident pilot did.

--
Peter

Old November 11th 05, 03:47 PM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

So an extremely accurate navigational system is available and paid for
completely by another nation. What's not to like about that?

Perception is based in emotion, not necessarily reality. Emotions are not
logical.

--
Peter

Old November 11th 05, 03:47 PM
Tauno Voipio

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Peter R." wrote in message

Most likely because in its current form, GPS availability is controlled by
the US Gov't. If the roles were reversed, I might also share this
sentiment.

So an extremely accurate navigational system is available and paid for
completely by another nation. What's not to like about that?

There is one fundamental difference to other means
of IFR navigation: It is impossible to test and
approve the GPS signal. For the other NAVAIDs the
station can be measured on ground and fly the measuring
flights and compare the results with the specs in
ICAO Annex 10, and that's it.

Been there - done that.

--

Tauno Voipio