Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

Old April 16th 19, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 4:28:36 PM UTC-4, Peter Deane wrote:
JJ - as explained to me by Uys, the idea of the spoiler detent is so that
you can secure spoilers open on the landing roll so you dont have to let
spoilers close while changing to negative flaps with the same hand and
potentially ballooning.

Grrr... as I explained above...
Trust me JJ, it is a really helpful feature.
Old April 16th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

That explains why you asked me to hold the spoilers extended after landing as we rolled out when I flew with you in your Arcus.

Paul A.
Old April 16th 19, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Ive been lucky enough to make four JS-3 flights now.

On my last flight I found after crossing the finish line and entering downwind to land that my right elbow had bumped the water dump valve and it had sprung closed. Having the airbrakes detent was darn convenient to hold the brakes in place momentarily so I could re-open the dump valve, all while keeping my right hand on the stick.

The flight manual suggested a medium flap setting on downwind and going to landing flap on final. Being able to hold the airbrakes in place while switching between airbrakes and flap control is nice.

I will also note that so far I have come no where close to using full airbrake on this glider. The airbrakes are quite powerful.

As a side note - so far I have only flown in 15 meter configuration
Old April 17th 19, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sounds like what we really need is Auto Flaps, or Auto Spoiler that reads the VASI,s and adjusts the spoilers as required, then deploys up-flaps as soon the squat switch says your down. That way the pilot is free to pick lint balls out of his naval during approach!
:) JJ
Old April 17th 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

The duckhawk had that.
Old April 17th 19, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 4:16:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Sounds like what we really need is Auto Flaps, or Auto Spoiler that reads the VASI,s and adjusts the spoilers as required, then deploys up-flaps as soon the squat switch says your down. That way the pilot is free to pick lint balls out of his naval during approach!
:) JJ

Why not spoilers designed so that they just stay where you put them? I've only flown one glider that did that reliably, my PIK 20D. The spoilers did not snatch on opening, there was no friction or drag in the system, and they simply stayed where ever you left them. Is that a lost art? The PIK 20 isn't new tech, certainly. The only place where they wouldn't stay is full on, if you took your hand away they would drop to about 2/3.
Old April 17th 19, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 6:37:51 PM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
That explains why you asked me to hold the spoilers extended after landing
as we rolled out when I flew with you in your Arcus.

Yup.
Old April 17th 19, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I was lectured by an instructor years ago that accidents are more likely if you combine unusual activities, such as flying an unfamiliar glider at a field you’re also not familiar with. I very nearly had a similar landing to Steve’s a year ago - in an unfamiliar glider at a new field, although it was rotor that nearly got me rather than open brakes.

I also wonder if many of us use lower pattern altitudes than we should. Certainly for US pilots, likely trained on Gollywompers with their useless spoilers, low patterns seem the norm. I was trained (by Germans) to be at least 500 feet on base leg and there are those who advocate even more - say 700 feet. I know at our club that we’ve had more gliders hit the fence or bushes at the threshold than have ever overrun the other end.

Lately, I’ve been playing with the high approach - 700 feet followed by a descent at 70+ knots with full spoilers. This approach works well in most modern ships and gives you more height and energy to cope with problems in the pattern.

Anyway, hopefully Steve now has the right glider to crack that elusive Arizona 1000 km flight!

Mike
Old April 17th 19, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

For disabled pilots our club Grob has hand controls for the rudder and detents on the spoilers to keep them where wanted while the two available hands look after stick and rudder.

The detents remain even when the rudder hand control is removed.