New twist "on pre-flight inspections."

Old August 5th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default New twist "on pre-flight inspections."

Reading the "On pre-flight inspections" thread got me thinking about a
new twist on the subject.

You did a pre-flight but experienced a problem in flight. The problem
would not have (or probably wouldn't have) surfaced if you woulda,
shoulda, coulda done a bit more thorough of a pre-flight.

Me?
I did an overnight visit to Gilmer, TX. and did not tie the school's
172 down for lack of sufficient tie-down provisions. At my brother's
home that night watching the news, the weather showed a line of mighty
Texas thunderstorms headed our way. Not wanting to pick up pieces of
the Cessna in the morning, I headed back out to the little Gilmer
(4F4?) airport to try & tie her down.
I found a tie-down cable in the grass (nothing on the tarmac) and
since I was by myself I fired her up & taxied off the apron onto the
turf to utilize the cable. I couldn't have pushed the 172 alone across
grass & dirt anyway. As soon as the nosewheel left the pavement I
heard a loud "ping." Hurrying to get back home before the deluge, I
didn't investigate the noise, I was definately a greenhorn private
pilot at the time.
In the morning I was in a rush to get the fully-scheduled 172 back to
the school so my pre-flight was...well...quick, and not very thorough.
I had all but forgotten about the "ping" until I gave her full power
to takeoff and suddenly we were vibrating, rattling, and generally
causing a situation that would've caused most pilots to cut power,
taxi off & investigate. Not me; I had get-home-itis and would've been
in trouble for getting the plane back beyond my scheduled block of
time.
I was concerned, but the vibration almost went away when I reduced
power for cruise.
Back in Corsicana, TX. at Navarro College's flight school, the line
man was refueling & called out to me; "Ricky, WHAT did you DO to this
airplane's propeller?!?" Walking over I discovered a large 1"-2" chunk
missing from the prop blades, which, of course, caused the vibration.
I had hit the tie-down cable with the prop when the nosewheel left the
asphalt & went down slightly into the grass. I suppose this could have
been way more trouble than it was because the engine may have been
able to vibrate itself right off the engine mounts...then I wouldn't
be typing this post right now.
ALWAYS do a thorough pre-flight...I have ever since then.

Ricky
Old August 6th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Aug 5, 2:51*pm, Ricky wrote:

Walking over I discovered a large 1"-2" chunk
missing from the prop blades,

Blade or blades?

I could see the oversight sitting INSIDE the plane if it was the blade
on the downside that you couldn't see this missing chunk, but if it
was both blades, I can't imagine you missing it looking out the
windscreen???
Old August 6th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Aug 5, 5:21*pm, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Aug 5, 2:51*pm, Ricky wrote:

Walking over I discovered a large 1"-2" chunk
missing from the prop blades,

Blade or blades?

I could see the oversight sitting INSIDE the plane if it was the blade
on the downside that you couldn't see this missing chunk, but if it
was both blades, I can't imagine you missing it looking out the
windscreen???

Actually, only one blade had been damaged, which has always perplexed
me.
When I tied to the cable (which I only assumed I hit) there was no
obvious
problem with it. It seems had the cable been cut then I would've
noticed
when I tied to it.
The school mechanic made short work of determining acceptable damage
limits and filing out the missing chunk from the other blade.
It seems as though both blades should've had damage.
So, I meant to write "blade," not "blades.

Ricky