Mistral-C vs DG-100

Old August 27th 19, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Mistral-C vs DG-100

Training for nose hook and then transitionin to C.G. hook? You make it sound like stepping up from Cessna 150 to B-29. Most of us wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever no matter where you put the hook. This has to be most overblown issue on r.a.s, ever.

Troll; There is a difference in nose to C.G. hook tows.
Pitch and yaw sensitivity on initial roll out and tow are higher.
Plenty of documented incidents of C.G. hook tows with very high pitch ups on take off leading to pulling the tow plan tail up and potentially planting the prop.
P.S. if your arrogant A$$ does not like a post shut up. Others may find it useful.
Old August 27th 19, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 11:02:22 AM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:
And one other thing;for the most part taking off with a CG hook poses no problem unless if one gets out of wheck say 10/15 degrees off center line as in a crosswind -things could quickly escalate leading to a ground loop, much more so than gliders equipped with a nose hook.
Just my 5 C worth on that....

The Pegase manual doesn't say where to set the trim for a CG launch but it does say if 20 degrees or more off towing axis release immediately. My Peg has only the CG and I'm still thinking about adding a forward release. That said, its never been a problem. You just have to pay attention. You go where you're pointing.
Old August 27th 19, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op dinsdag 27 augustus 2019 19:22:16 UTC+2 schreef Mike N.:
Training for nose hook and then transitionin to C.G. hook? You make it sound like stepping up from Cessna 150 to B-29. Most of us wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever no matter where you put the hook. This has to be most overblown issue on r.a.s, ever.

Troll; There is a difference in nose to C.G. hook tows.
Pitch and yaw sensitivity on initial roll out and tow are higher.
Plenty of documented incidents of C.G. hook tows with very high pitch ups on take off leading to pulling the tow plan tail up and potentially planting the prop.
P.S. if your arrogant A$$ does not like a post shut up. Others may find it useful.

Maybe a bit off topic here, but what would be an average cost to adding a nose hook to a glider? Part + installation.
Old August 27th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

If you can't control a take off with a cg hook, you probably shouldn't be in a glider in the first place.
Old August 28th 19, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 2:43:57 PM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
If you can't control a take off with a cg hook, you probably shouldn't be in a glider in the first place.

That's a pretty arrogant and insulting comment. Maybe not everybody has your incredible genetically engineered skills and your interplanetary sourced perfect glider, and doesn't get to fly in your exalted unicorn-populated airfield conditions.

And perhaps, some of us learned with nose hooks and are just now transitioning to CG hooks. Be grateful that your parents conceived you while performing CG related activity, although ineptly.

I have flown with nose, chin and CG hooks. In a crosswind with a partial load of water and a lazy wingrunner, the release option is at the forefront of my mind for the entire takeoff roll, especially with the CG hook.

I am glad that your amazing abilities are so amazing. I hope I never have to meet you, as I would probably have to shoot myself. But I wouldn't be the first casualty.

Old August 28th 19, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_2_]

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:55:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

May I quote your posting to my student pilots?

For generations they have flown their aerotows with only a CG hook...
without any incidence. I am sure they are happy to hear that
apparently they belong to the species "super human".

Old August 28th 19, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Simon France[_2_]

At 02:11 28 August 2019, Andreas Maurer wrote:
[...]

My advice would be, only listen to DG100 0wners. Everyone else is making

comparisons based on having experience of all flying tail planes in other
types, and they all behave differently.

Split canopies are not a problem, after a flight or two, you wont even
notice it.

Old August 28th 19, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op woensdag 28 augustus 2019 09:45:05 UTC+2 schreef Simon France:
[...]

DG-101 owner (long canopy, all flying tailplane):
Using my CG hook, I only have issues on tow when the towplane exceeds 130 km/h, when flying through a thermal and he leaves and I'm still in, I have some trouble putting the nose down. Up to 120 km/h I have absolutely no problems.

I prefer a slower tow, at 110-120 km/h, as I don't weigh much, I'm flying at minimum cockpit weight.

MISTRAL -C manuals SP[_3_] Soaring 0 January 17th 14 11:47 PM
MAE : mistral jmp Aviation Photos 0 March 20th 08 09:44 PM
MAE : mistral jmp Aviation Photos 0 March 20th 08 09:30 PM
MAE : mistral jmp Aviation Photos 0 March 20th 08 09:28 PM
Mistral C [email protected] Soaring 1 October 23rd 07 08:30 PM