Secondary roads?

Old December 12th 03, 08:24 PM
D Grunloh

Default Secondary roads?

Sorry for this newbie question, I have not
seen a flight sim program since the mid 90's.

Is there any program which includes all secondary
roads in the scenery detail? Not just around the
airports but throughout the entire USA. It doesn't
have to be as detailed as in TOPO USA.

My interest is for low level VFR practice. Thanks.

--Dan Grunloh
Old December 13th 03, 05:22 AM
Randy L.

"D Grunloh" wrote in message
om...
Sorry for this newbie question, I have not
seen a flight sim program since the mid 90's.

Is there any program which includes all secondary
roads in the scenery detail? Not just around the
airports but throughout the entire USA. It doesn't
have to be as detailed as in TOPO USA.

My interest is for low level VFR practice. Thanks.

--Dan Grunloh

Dan,
We were all newbies at one time. I've been flying flight sims, both
civilian & military, since the 80's, and I still consider myself a newbie.
For what it's worth, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century Of Flight
would be my recommendation. It not only has interstate highways, but smaller
secondary state roads & highways too. I use it all of the time for VFR
flight, as I am a real-life VFR pilot and I like to practice when I'm not
flying real aircraft. It pretty accurately places roads, terrain, lakes,
cities, towns (even small towns). I have found that it doesn't do a good job
placing rivers though, and many of the large bridges in the larger cities
seem to be missing. Still, for the price, I think this is an absolutely
amazing flight simulator. If you haven't seen this product since the 90's,
then you will be amazed at how it looks now. For me it is the closest thing
to flying a real airplane. Keep asking questions. Hope this helps...

Randy L.

--

Those who expect life to be "fair" are doomed to a life of disappointment.

Old December 16th 03, 02:04 PM
D. Grunloh

"Randy L." wrote:

"D Grunloh" wrote in message
om...
Sorry for this newbie question, I have not
seen a flight sim program since the mid 90's.

Is there any program which includes all secondary
roads in the scenery detail? Not just around the
airports but throughout the entire USA. It doesn't
have to be as detailed as in TOPO USA.

My interest is for low level VFR practice. Thanks.

--Dan Grunloh

Dan,
We were all newbies at one time. I've been flying flight sims, both
civilian & military, since the 80's, and I still consider myself a newbie.
For what it's worth, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century Of Flight
would be my recommendation. It not only has interstate highways, but smaller
secondary state roads & highways too. I use it all of the time for VFR
flight, as I am a real-life VFR pilot and I like to practice when I'm not
flying real aircraft.

Thanks a lot Randy. I'm also a VFR pilot but am new to simulators and
this group. I've found that prolonged use of GPS for navigation has
diminished my map reading (and following) skills. When presented
with new and unfamiliar terrain it isn't so easy. I would like to "fly the
computer" with my charts on my lap, using ground features, compass,
and clock, and then later check a record of my track to see how
well I was doing.

--dan grunloh