Ghost Ship

Old March 30th 05, 09:57 PM
Eduardo K.

In article PhA2e.119272$Ze3.17266@attbi_s51,
Jay Honeck wrote:

It's been sitting there for three days, as I write this.

And once again reading your stories almost makes me cry.

You should REALLY get on to writing a regular column somewhere.

--
Eduardo K. | Some say it's forgive and forget.
http://e.nn.cl | And get the hell out of town.
Old March 30th 05, 11:05 PM
kontiki

I just today read about that accident... very sad to hear. I hope
the Stearman finds a good home.

My airplane is 45 years old... when I fly it I have thought about
all those that have flown her before me and how she brought us all
safely to our destinations. I don't take it for granted and I take
good care of her.

Well written Jay.

Old March 30th 05, 11:49 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:

Many of us fly ghost ships nowadays.

A somewhat-related thread ran on the Stearman Restorer's Forum a few
months ago. There were many stories told that helped remind us all of
the responsibility we carry and the debt we owe to those that flew 'em
before us....

"We pulled up to the pumps at a quiet little airport after my very
first check-out flight, and people just started appearing from no place
(and they weren't looking at me, that's for sure). An elderly
gentleman asked a few questions about the airplane, then admitted that
he'd learned to fly in a Stearman in 1943. He couldn't believe it when
I offered to let him sit in the airplane, but we found a step-stool and
helped him to get up onto the wing. After that, he slithered into the
seat like he'd been doing it every day for the last 60 years, he pulled
on my leather helmet ("It's exactly like the ones we used to wear!"),
then he proceeded to sit, and smile, and talk, and remember... and
shamelessly shed a few tears.

That experience honestly changed me, and it changed the way that I look
at the Stearman. The paperwork might claim that I own that airplane,
but there are thousands of people out there that own a piece of it just
as surely as I do. The airplane always seems to draw a crowd wherever
it goes, and I feel extraordinarily lucky to be able to share a little
of it with them."

-Dave Russell
N2S-3

Old March 31st 05, 12:21 AM
Blueskies

"George Patterson" wrote in message newsCC2e.35242$ed6.21957@trndny06...
Jay Honeck wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm left to wonder how long that beautiful Stearman, that ghost ship, will sit, waiting, grating on my
soul...

Sounds like the only thing for you to do is buy it, Jay. Call it an extension of your Stearman suite.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.

Just don't put it up on a pole...

Old March 31st 05, 01:29 AM
Robert A. Barker

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The silver plane sits lightly on the tarmac, gazing skyward at that cocky
angle that makes taxiing a Stearman such a chore. It is clearly ready for
flight.

It's been sitting there for three days, as I write this.

Great story snipped

Meanwhile, I'm left to wonder how long that beautiful Stearman, that ghost
ship, will sit, waiting, grating on my soul...
--
Jay Honeck

Jay:

How come you are not writing for some publication?
Perhaps you are,if so I would like to know which one so
I can be sure to catch your writings.

Bob Barker N8749S

Old March 31st 05, 03:17 PM
John Gaquin

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Many of us fly ghost ships nowadays....

Well done, Jay. Had many similar musings years ago flying DC-3s.

Old March 31st 05, 04:27 PM
Jay Honeck

How come you are not writing for some publication?
Perhaps you are,if so I would like to know which one so
I can be sure to catch your writings.

Thanks, Bob, but I can only do one crazy, money-losing venture at a time!
The hotel takes all my waking hours (well, most of them) for now...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 31st 05, 08:27 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jay Honeck wrote:

Thanks, Bob, but I can only do one crazy, money-losing venture at a time!
The hotel takes all my waking hours (well, most of them) for now...

If you think of the prose production as a form of advertising, then it make
the idea less crazy.

- Andrew

Old March 31st 05, 09:39 PM
Jay Honeck

Thanks, Bob, but I can only do one crazy, money-losing venture at a time!

If you think of the prose production as a form of advertising, then it
make
the idea less crazy.

For some strange reason, Mary doesn't regard my sitting at my desk for
hours, gazing thoughtfully into space as "work."

Especially when there is wallpaper to be hung, gutters to be cleaned, the
pool to be painted and filled, a leaky hot tub...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 31st 05, 09:59 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:39:59 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

For some strange reason, Mary doesn't regard my sitting at my desk for
hours, gazing thoughtfully into space as "work."

Heh heh, she'll change her mind when you pick up the royalty check for
your millionth copy of your best seller "Ghost ship", memories from
the Good War...

Corky Scott