Interesting ELT fact

Old April 5th 05, 03:54 AM
Ben Jackson

Default Interesting ELT fact

I just discovered that my ELT (Pointer Model 3000-10) has a microphone
jack on it. Of course, in any accident where I would be able to take
advantage of that I probably would have checked the ELT for proper
operation and discovered it. Still, it's a good thing to be aware of.
I'm surprised I'd never heard of that feature before.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 5th 05, 03:57 PM
Len

That is good info-

I also found out something like that on the Piper Seminole I fly.

The Seminole's ELT can be physically removed from the tail, and it
contains its own aerial. After disconnecting it from the Aircraft
aerial, you can take the unit with you and use the internal aerial.

I remember there was an accident in the mountains not to long ago where
two survivors hiked out (one with a broken back). If they knew about
this, they may have been able to get help much earlier.

I've also heard about the new personal GPS/ELT units that transmit
coordinates as well as the ELT signal. I think there is an outfit called
Aerofix that makes them.

Old April 5th 05, 08:47 PM
John Galban

Len wrote:

The Seminole's ELT can be physically removed from the tail, and it
contains its own aerial. After disconnecting it from the Aircraft
aerial, you can take the unit with you and use the internal aerial.

My ELT sits right next to my shoulder. It has a lanyard attached,
so in the event of an accident I can just give it a pull and take it
with me. The antenna is attached. I also keep the most recently
replaced ELT battery in my survival kit, just in case the need for
extra transmitting time comes up. Replaced batteries still have a
significant amount of power left in them and it amazes me that most
people just throw the old ones out.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 5th 05, 09:02 PM
John Galban

Ben Jackson wrote:
I just discovered that my ELT (Pointer Model 3000-10) has a

microphone
jack on it. Of course, in any accident where I would be able to take
advantage of that I probably would have checked the ELT for proper
operation and discovered it. Still, it's a good thing to be aware

of.
I'm surprised I'd never heard of that feature before.

It's good that you know it now. In an accident, it's not unheard of
to bang your head on something and to be quite loopy for awhile. I
wouldn't assume that one would necessarily discover the jack after an
accident (been there, done that). After crashing my Cessna, I wasn't
thinking clearly for the better part of a day.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 6th 05, 03:19 AM
Newps

Len wrote:

I remember there was an accident in the mountains not to long ago where
two survivors hiked out (one with a broken back).

Yes, here in Montana.

If they knew about
this, they may have been able to get help much earlier.

Ah no. The airplane burned to the ground shortly after the crash.
Nothing left but ashes.

I've also heard about the new personal GPS/ELT units that transmit
coordinates as well as the ELT signal. I think there is an outfit called
Aerofix that makes them.

Some ELT's have a feature where you turn off the rescue signal and use
the ELT like a handheld radio.

Old April 6th 05, 08:47 AM
Scott D.

On 5 Apr 2005 12:47:32 -0700, "John Galban"
wrote:

Len wrote:}
Replaced batteries still have a
significant amount of power left in them and it amazes me that most
people just throw the old ones out.

Agreed, We had a power failure today because of the 40+mph winds and
snow for over 7 hours here at the house. I had only one good times
radio that operated on batteries, but wouldn't ya know it. The ones in
the radio were dead. I have a few old ELT batteries hanging around
the garage so I hooked 2 wires to it, opened the back of the radio,
attached the leads and we listened to the radio for the entire 7 hours
without it going dead. There are a lot of uses for those batteries.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher