Falling with the Falcon

Old April 5th 05, 07:00 PM
Michael 182

Default Falling with the Falcon

There is an article in the Feb/March Air and Space called Falling with the
Falcon by Tom Harpole. Unfortunatly, it is not available on the web, or at
least I could not find it.

This is an amazing story about Ken Franklin and his Peregrine Falcon,
Frightful. Ken is a 17,000 hour pilot who has trained Frightful to skydive
with him - they have reached 242 mph together in freefall. The article
references a National Geographic Movie called Terminal Velocity. Anyone see
it?

If you can get the Air and Space issue it is definitely worth the effort.

Michael

Old April 5th 05, 11:42 PM
Gene Seibel

I had heard of this guy, but I'm not sure where. Here are a few web
articles:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv...exp072102.html

http://www.raes.org.uk/raes/division...sid=&branch=58

http://www.sanjuanislander.com/featu...es/birds.shtml

--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old April 6th 05, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the info and links. I monitor several Peregrine Falcon nest
sites in N.E. Ohio, and am always in awe when I get to witness the
amazing Peregrine stoop. I had always estimated the top speed to be
somewhere around or above 200mph, so the 242mph figure sounds quite
believable to me. I will be anxiously awaiting the film when it is
released!

-Pat

ps - I live just outside Cleveland, and have 6 active Peregrine nesting
pairs within about a 10-15 mile radius of my home. This is a testament
to the success of the Peregrine restoration efforts over the past 20
years!

Old April 9th 05, 09:40 AM
Brad Salai

You might enjoy this:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...equestid=11636

If the link doesn't work, just try Kodak birdcam in google, or whatever to
get to the site.

Brad

"Michael 182" wrote in message
There is an article in the Feb/March Air and Space called Falling with the
Falcon by Tom Harpole. Unfortunatly, it is not available on the web, or at
least I could not find it.

This is an amazing story about Ken Franklin and his Peregrine Falcon,
Frightful. Ken is a 17,000 hour pilot who has trained Frightful to skydive
with him - they have reached 242 mph together in freefall. The article
references a National Geographic Movie called Terminal Velocity. Anyone

see
it?

If you can get the Air and Space issue it is definitely worth the effort.

Michael

Falcon Instruments Louis Gallego Home Built 2 October 22nd 03 11:54 PM
ASC Falcon 15/18m Terry Cleary Soaring 1 August 19th 03 05:05 PM
Tango One Open House at KFFZ (Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ) Tango One Aviation KFFZ Owning 0 August 1st 03 10:51 PM
Tango One Open House at KFFZ (Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ) Tango One Aviation KFFZ General Aviation 0 August 1st 03 10:42 PM
Is Falcon 5.0 in development? Radeon350 Simulators 7 July 21st 03 03:21 AM