Harley engine special

Old May 13th 04, 07:37 PM
Jim-Ed Browne

The LyCon flat air cooled engines belong in museums and restored
MM-era bug smashers, nowhere else. I saw a composite biplane built to
very detailed skin perfection in one of the crappy "popular science"
magazines-it was built by some guy who works for Rutan- and I actually
started laughing out loud when I saw that stupid 1920's era
construction overgrown lawnmower engine under the cowling.

The Harley engine is obsolete and overpriced, but nowhere nearly as
much as anything nominally out of Williamsport. (I say nominally
because they don't even make anything anymore-they outsource
everything, often to the same companies that make aftermarket H-D and
Chevy parts.)
Old May 13th 04, 08:38 PM
Rich S.

"Jim-Ed Browne" wrote in message
om...
The LyCon flat air cooled engines belong in museums and restored
MM-era bug smashers, nowhere else. I saw a composite biplane built to
very detailed skin perfection in one of the crappy "popular science"
magazines-it was built by some guy who works for Rutan- and I actually
started laughing out loud when I saw that stupid 1920's era
construction overgrown lawnmower engine under the cowling.

The Harley engine is obsolete and overpriced, but nowhere nearly as
much as anything nominally out of Williamsport. (I say nominally
because they don't even make anything anymore-they outsource
everything, often to the same companies that make aftermarket H-D and
Chevy parts.)

I missed the part where you gave us the link for the engine that is so much
better, that you've designed, built, and tested is being sold.

Rich "Inquiring mind" S.

Old May 13th 04, 09:41 PM
jls

"Jim-Ed Browne" wrote in message
om...
The LyCon flat air cooled engines belong in museums and restored
MM-era bug smashers, nowhere else. I saw a composite biplane built to
very detailed skin perfection in one of the crappy "popular science"
magazines-it was built by some guy who works for Rutan- and I actually
started laughing out loud when I saw that stupid 1920's era
construction overgrown lawnmower engine under the cowling.

The Harley engine is obsolete and overpriced, but nowhere nearly as
much as anything nominally out of Williamsport. (I say nominally
because they don't even make anything anymore-they outsource
everything, often to the same companies that make aftermarket H-D and
Chevy parts.)

All of which reminds me. I just installed 6 beautiful Millenium cylinders
by Superior in an O-300 and the pistons were made in Brazil. They were so
stamped in blue letters on their tops. The valves were made in Italy.
I'll let you know how they perform. We're getting ready to fly. I
noticed the exhaust valve guides are completely encased in the aluminum
castings, which Superior says will make them run cooler.

Now don't you go defaming Lycoming and Continental. They don't put you in
the trees like the airsoobs, vw's, gm's and fords do, except that little 65
HP Lycoming, which is better suited as a boat anchor. My own personal
experiences, of course. But I guess I'd fly behind an A-Model engine in a
low and slow Pietenpol. I have a little Continental I rebuilt in a
Taylorcraft and when I bring her in from flying she don't even drip oil.
That engine was tricked to believe it was space age, with special valves,
guides and seats but the stock 6.3 to 1 compression ratio.

I would fly behind one of those Suzuki Sprint 3-cylinders. That's a gem of
an engine in my book. It would need a good redrive, nacherly.

I had a vw nearly put me in a lake. I bounced it on the beach and had 10'
of runway behind us when we stopped, deadsticked all the way to Shiflet
Field and seized up.

Old May 13th 04, 10:07 PM
jls

"Richie-Pooh S." wrote in message
[...]
I missed the part where you [WHO?] gave us the link for the engine that is

so much
better, that you've designed, built, and tested is being sold.

Rich "Inquiring mind" S.

Try this: http://www.hog-air.com/motor-pics.htm

Lordy, lordy, I don't care for that nosegear strut. It don't seem right
not to be a taildragger.

Old May 13th 04, 10:39 PM
Richard Lamb

Jim-Ed Browne wrote:

The LyCon flat air cooled engines belong in museums and restored
MM-era bug smashers, nowhere else. I saw a composite biplane built to
very detailed skin perfection in one of the crappy "popular science"
magazines-it was built by some guy who works for Rutan- and I actually
started laughing out loud when I saw that stupid 1920's era
construction overgrown lawnmower engine under the cowling.

Sorry JimBob,

Claiming that engines that evolved to turn propellers are obsolete
is clearly incorrect, and will be as long as they are the predominant
engines flying.
Old May 14th 04, 12:59 AM
Dave Hyde

Jim-Ed Browne wrote:

The LyCon flat air cooled engines belong in museums and restored
MM-era bug smashers...

Better yet, pack 'em up and send 'em to me.

I actually started laughing out loud when I saw that
stupid 1920's era construction overgrown lawnmower
engine under the cowling.

I saw the same article. What do you have under the
cowl of the airplane *you* designed, built, and flew?

Dave 'a mile in my shoes' Hyde

Old May 14th 04, 04:58 PM
Barnyard BOb -

Richard Lamb wrote:

Jim-Ed Browne wrote:

The LyCon flat air cooled engines belong in museums and restored
MM-era bug smashers, nowhere else. I saw a composite biplane built to
very detailed skin perfection in one of the crappy "popular science"
magazines-it was built by some guy who works for Rutan- and I actually
started laughing out loud when I saw that stupid 1920's era
construction overgrown lawnmower engine under the cowling.

Sorry JimBob,

Claiming that engines that evolved to turn propellers are obsolete
is clearly incorrect, and will be as long as they are the predominant
engines flying.

JimBob is a troll...
and not a very bright one.

Barnyard BOb -

Old May 14th 04, 09:04 PM
Jim-Ed Browne

These stupid comments were exactly what the old boat guys said when
the slow turning purpose built boat engines were replaced by
automotive engines and inboard/outdrive rather than big huge prop
shafts coming out the bottom of the hull through lignum vitae blocks.
The modern pleasure boating industry would not be in existence if they
still had huge slow turning engines and vulnerable huge bronze screws.
Kiekhaefer and OMC put the 'ancien regime' out to the salvage pier in
short order.

Enough volume does not exist to build a piston engine today
specifically for general aviation use and even if there were it still
would be silly. A good "aircraft" engine would also be a good "boat"
engine...etc.

In the long run it's academic-real airplanes have turbine engines-but
"Lycoming for Life" is such a crock of s*** it makes me want to puke.
The fact is there is a Lycoming religion out there and if I built a
power package and had a hundred of 'em flying for ten years, the
Lyc-kissers would say they'd look at when I had two hundred flying for
twenty years...then, three hundred and thirty, etc. There's no winning
-it's like defending Luther to the College of Cardinals. Lycomings
have suffered inflight catastrophic failure, so have Continental, P&W,
you name it. Either you get confident you can deadstick the damn thing
or stick to transport category multi. Elsewise, you're playing
Williamsport Roulette every time the throttle comes forward on takeoff
no matter whose engine is forward of the firewall.

Just my worthless opinion...;-)
Old May 15th 04, 04:34 AM
Brett

This motor is the new counter balanced Twin Cam so it is smooth
running. It's not like the old Harleys. I wouldn't even try to use one
of those. There is a lot of new tech design in this motor. I also
thought air cooled would be great for aircraft.

I also realize that some people would climb to the top of a mountain
to say something bad about someone. But wouldn't sit down to say
something good. That doesn't bother me. I know they are just upset
because they couldn't do it themselves.

So I guess only time will tell. If it doesn't work THEN... say I told
you so. If it does work well then it works and I don't have to say
anything. And so far every thing is great.

Some of you might need to read some of these.
http://www.hog-air.com/Quotes.htm

What ever happened to the EAA as in experimental. I thought that was
half the fun, doing something different or new. I guess for some of
you it should be the CCA or (Cookie cutter aircraft) and what ever you
do don't get off the dotted line.

To some of you out there if you don't like it that's fine. But instead
of just cutting it down so you can look down on it. Build something
better so you can honestly raise yourself above it.

Some of you might need to read some of these.
http://www.hog-air.com/Quotes.htm

Sorry to be so long.

Brett Ray
Old May 16th 04, 02:39 PM
Barnyard BOb -

(Jim-Ed Browne) wrote:

In the long run it's academic-real airplanes have turbine engines-but
"Lycoming for Life" is such a crock of s*** it makes me want to puke.
The fact is there is a Lycoming religion out there and if I built a
power package and had a hundred of 'em flying for ten years, the
Lyc-kissers would say they'd look at when I had two hundred flying for
twenty years...then, three hundred and thirty, etc.

Just my worthless opinion...;-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Be not so hard on yourself.
Your opinion is far from worthless.

Your perspective demonstrates and personifies what
many before you have bellowed before vanishing
from sight. Your rant serves as a fine model and
example of what kind of perspective the typical
aviation greenhorn spouts to other newbies in a
freewheeling newsgroup like this.

Should you choose to shut your mouth and open
your mind and ears to the wisdom of those that have
gone before you... you may see why things are as they
are, and where they are going. In the meantime, it is
expected that you will continue to foam at the mouth, beat
your breast and gums until you render yourself senseless....
and disappear back in to digital darkness from whence you came.

Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight