Where to find textual pireps?

Old March 30th 04, 04:57 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Where to find textual pireps?

I've been looking at aviationweather.gov. There's a nice picture of PIREPs,
but I'd like to see the text reports too. Anyone know where these can be
found on the 'net (or this site)?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old March 30th 04, 05:07 PM
Peter R.

Andrew Gideon ) wrote:

I've been looking at aviationweather.gov. There's a nice picture of PIREPs,
but I'd like to see the text reports too. Anyone know where these can be
found on the 'net (or this site)?

For US PIREPS, Try the PIREPS Java tool at Aviation Digital Data (ADDS):

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/pireps/java/

Place your mouse over the PIREP symbol on the map to see the text, or click
on the symbol to open a new window with the text.

Of course, there is also DUATS.

--
Peter

Old March 30th 04, 06:32 PM
David Brooks

Personally, if I get a briefing with no intention of actually flying (e.g.
I'm idly curious about today's PIREPs or the exact forecast in Olympia
before I drive there or whether TCM is *still* OTS), I feel a pang of guilt
at using public resources. Maybe it's something to do with the specificity
of the planned non-flight that's needed to make the system cough up a
response - I feel like a big liar. I have a hard time imagining anyone cares
though, or that the Feds will come to my door at 2am. Prehaps I should say
out loud "this is a valuable training exercise" while I'm doing it.

I'm the only person who does it, of course.

-- David Brooks

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
What's wrong with www.duats.com ?

online.com...

Old March 30th 04, 06:51 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter R. wrote:

For US PIREPS, Try the PIREPS Java tool at Aviation Digital Data (ADDS):

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/pireps/java/

Place your mouse over the PIREP symbol on the map to see the text, or
click on the symbol to open a new window with the text.

Ah. I didn't realize that.

But I'm still hoping for something more "bulky". That is, a list of all
PIREPs w/in a block of time and space, or some such, in text form.

Of course, there is also DUATS.

Yes, but I need to make up a flight plan to get the PIREPs for a given area.
Cumbersome if I'm just "looking around".

Plus: this morning, I saw a lot of icing PIREPs in my neighborhood on the
graphical display at ADDS. DUATS gave me one.

- Andrew

Old March 30th 04, 07:18 PM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Yes, but I need to make up a flight plan to get the PIREPs for a given

area.
Cumbersome if I'm just "looking around".

No you don't. Just get an "area" briefing.

Plus: this morning, I saw a lot of icing PIREPs in my neighborhood on the
graphical display at ADDS. DUATS gave me one.

What were the times on the ADDS PIREPs? PIREPs expire from the official
briefing system relatively quickly, but I suppose ADDS could hang on to them
for a longer period. Of course, that puts the onus on you to look at the
time of the PIREP and determine whether it's relevant to the period of time
you're interested in.

Or possibly your DUAT briefing did not include as distant information as the
ADDS search you did. I doubt DUAT is hiding valid, recent PIREPs from you.

Pete

Old March 30th 04, 07:36 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Duniho wrote:

Or possibly your DUAT briefing did not include as distant information as
the
ADDS search you did. I doubt DUAT is hiding valid, recent PIREPs from
you.

I'm sure it's either the time or space issue. It *always* turns out to be
time or space (or money) at issue grin.

I'm interested, though, in seeing what it was that made the difference.

When I expand the java tool as far into time at it'll go, I see numerous
PIREPS well south of my flight plan's course. Those might be what I saw
this morning.

- Andrew

Old March 30th 04, 08:17 PM
Peter R.

Andrew Gideon ) wrote:

I'm interested, though, in seeing what it was that made the difference.

When I expand the java tool as far into time at it'll go, I see numerous
PIREPS well south of my flight plan's course. Those might be what I saw
this morning.

I use the ADDs' PIREP java tool all the time. I, too, would speculate that
you were seeing historical PIREPS mixed in with current ones.

--
Peter

Old March 30th 04, 08:26 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter R. wrote:

I use the ADDs' PIREP java tool all the time. I, too, would speculate
that you were seeing historical PIREPS mixed in with current ones.

What I saw this morning was on the basic graphic; not the java tool. I
didn't think to use that until later.

What I saw at the time wasn't historical at the time. However, most of the
PIREPS were well south of the course I planned in DUATS, which is likely
why DUATS didn't list them for me.

At least, this is my guess.

- Andrew

Old March 30th 04, 09:38 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Andrew Gideon wrote in message gonline.com...
I've been looking at aviationweather.gov. There's a nice picture of PIREPs,
but I'd like to see the text reports too. Anyone know where these can be
found on the 'net (or this site)?

Thanks...

Andrew

Click on the PIREP java tool in aviationweather.gov. It will bring up
a map. If you move your mouse over the PIREP, it will show the textual
description. Alternately, you can get the PIREP from DUATS.
Old March 30th 04, 11:43 PM
Malcolm Teas

Andrew Gideon wrote in message gonline.com...
I've been looking at aviationweather.gov. There's a nice picture of PIREPs,
but I'd like to see the text reports too. Anyone know where these can be
found on the 'net (or this site)?

The ADDS website (http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/) can show the
textual PIREPS with it's interactive Java tool. You move your mouse
over the symbols on the map and the PIREP text is shown. But first
you have to click the link to start the Java tool. I don't like the
interface, it's a little awkward for my taste. However, this is the
only place I know outside of DUATS I think.

-Malcolm Teas