Canada to the US Customs

Old June 16th 05, 11:29 PM
Doug

Default Canada to the US Customs

I'm going up Colorado, Roberval Quebec, and back to Colorado. I have
the phone number for a central Canadian Customs, but don't have a
central US Customs phone number. Does anyone know what it is? I realize
I call Canadian Flight Service and file a Canadian Flight plan into a
US airport that has Customs. But do I need the phone number of each
specific US Customs Office? Surely there must be a central number?
Thanks,
Doug

Old June 17th 05, 12:17 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Doug" said:
US airport that has Customs. But do I need the phone number of each
specific US Customs Office? Surely there must be a central number?

Let me put it this way: If US Customs set up a central number, they'd
make it a 800 number that you couldn't dial from outside the country.

I remember the first time coming back from Canada calling the numbers
listed for my home airport (Rochester NY) in the AOPA airport directory,
and all of them were either unanswered on the weekend or, in the case of
800 numbers, uncallable from Canada. That was a fun hour trying to find a
number that worked and was answered and where the person who answered
could tell me who I was really supposed to call. (Turns out that you're
supposed to call the Peace Bridge customs station in Buffalo NY).

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
'Usenet "belongs" to those who administer the hosts of which it is comprised'
Old June 17th 05, 02:29 PM
gwengler

Good luck with that one...

Try this one: http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/GPF/GPFapttc.html

There is a central number (800)621-3136; however, that's not much of a
help since you are strongly advised to call the officer of the port of
entry where you're planning to land. Here's another central number
that has worked for me in the past to get a local customs number
(407)975-1740. Every time I go to the US I have to go to five or so
numbers until I finally get one that works. Often a good idea is to
call the FBO on the field and ask them for the customs number. Call
ahead at least one workday (9-5) ahead to make sure that the number
works.

Gerd

Old June 17th 05, 04:41 PM
Icebound

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Doug" said:
US airport that has Customs. But do I need the phone number of each
specific US Customs Office? Surely there must be a central number?

Let me put it this way: If US Customs set up a central number, they'd
make it a 800 number that you couldn't dial from outside the country.

Many forward-looking American organizations/companies actually *do* realize
that we exist, and that Canada-US traffic/trade/whatever is quite extensive,
and they *do* set up 1-800 numbers that work from both countries.

It is peculiar that the Government of the USA would not be one of them.

Old June 17th 05, 05:05 PM
john smith

It was either last year of the year before at AirVenture that I spoke
with the person responsible for posting the telephone numbers to the cbp
website. I explained how difficult was to find the contact telephone
numbers on the previous US Customs website.
It is now easier to find and hopefully kept up-to-date.
I would like to see it as a complete pdf file for download, although the
copy and paste text is easier to compile and format to each individuals
tastes.

Old June 18th 05, 05:32 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Icebound wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Doug" said:
US airport that has Customs. But do I need the phone number of each
specific US Customs Office? Surely there must be a central number?

Let me put it this way: If US Customs set up a central number, they'd
make it a 800 number that you couldn't dial from outside the country.

Many forward-looking American organizations/companies actually *do* realize
that we exist, and that Canada-US traffic/trade/whatever is quite extensive,
and they *do* set up 1-800 numbers that work from both countries.

It is peculiar that the Government of the USA would not be one of them.

Before we get all haughty, consider that Canada Custom's CANPASS number (a
1-800-#) does not work from celphones in the US.

It works fine from celphones in Canada, and from landlines in either
country, but not from a Canadian celphone on ROAM in the US.

Now, this is probably a celphone thing rather than a Canada Customs thing,
but still it's damned irritating.

But trying to hunt down US Customs phone numbers is even more
irritating...
Old June 18th 05, 12:14 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Brian Burger said:
Before we get all haughty, consider that Canada Custom's CANPASS number (a
1-800-#) does not work from celphones in the US.

Maybe if you dialed the right number, you'd be able to get through. (It's
1-888-CANPASS, not 1-800-CANPASS).

It works fine from celphones in Canada, and from landlines in either
country, but not from a Canadian celphone on ROAM in the US.

It also works fine from US cellphones in the US and Canada.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Quando omni flunkus moritati (when all else fails play dead)
Old June 18th 05, 03:40 PM
Andrew Sarangan

It worked fine for me from cellphones, both ROAM as well as network.

Brian Burger wrote in
ia.tc.ca:

Old June 19th 05, 11:18 PM
Brian Burger

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

It worked fine for me from cellphones, both ROAM as well as network.

Interesting; I know it's not just my cellphone, so the trouble might be
with whoever runs the cel networks in the northern Washington/Puget Sound
area, and/or one of the Canadian cel companies.

It might also have been fixed; the last time I tried Canpass from a cel
(and it didn't work) was over a year ago. These days I just track down a
landline.

And Paul, I do know it's 1-888-etc, I just posted it as 800 because that's
still the generic term for all the toll-free codes...

Brian.

Flying into Canada from the US ain't that hard after all! Peter R. Piloting 9 November 22nd 04 08:51 PM
Trip Report - Canada (long) Andrew Sarangan Piloting 8 August 26th 04 03:34 AM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
French block airlift of British troops to Basra Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 202 October 24th 03 06:48 PM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM