ultralight helicopters

Old July 26th 03, 12:45 AM
Paul J. lewis

Default ultralight helicopters

HI Group
I am new here, so I would like to ask what do
you think of the ultralight helicopters? Is any one tried
these?
Paul J.

Old July 26th 03, 03:53 AM

They really do exist. Most of them are kits or plans. I seem to
recall one that was sold fully assembled, but I can't recall the name.

I'm currently building an AW95 from a set of plans. The AW95 is
actually a fat ultralight, but I believe that I can trim the 15 pounds
necessary to make it a true ultralight. I like the AW95 because its a
proven design and there are a lot of people who have built one and
flown it.

Most of the other plans and kits are working designs too - some better
than others. However, there are a few phony designs. One in
particular is the G-1 ultralight. Unless God rewrites the laws of
physics, the G-1 will never fly without major design modifications.

Dennis.

"Paul J. lewis" wrote:

HI Group
I am new here, so I would like to ask what do
you think of the ultralight helicopters? Is any one tried
these?

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A Recession is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A Depression is when YOU are out of work.
A Recovery is when all the H1-B's are out of work."
(An H-1B is someone who is brought into the USA to replace
American workers at a fraction of the wage.)
Old August 3rd 03, 01:28 PM
Steve Waltner

In article ,
wrote:
They really do exist. Most of them are kits or plans. I seem to
recall one that was sold fully assembled, but I can't recall the name.

I'm currently building an AW95 from a set of plans. The AW95 is
actually a fat ultralight, but I believe that I can trim the 15 pounds
necessary to make it a true ultralight. I like the AW95 because its a
proven design and there are a lot of people who have built one and
flown it.

Most of the other plans and kits are working designs too - some better
than others. However, there are a few phony designs. One in
particular is the G-1 ultralight. Unless God rewrites the laws of
physics, the G-1 will never fly without major design modifications.

I just got back from Oshkosh, and as normal, the rotorcraft contingent
was very small. I did see a short flight demo of the Mosquito
http://www.innovatortech.ca/ helicopter, which is a true ultralight
helicopter. It looked like it had full collective control on the rotor
since I don't remember hearing the RPM change when he climbed and
descended in a hover. It appeared to fly very nicely it the time that I
saw it flying around. He even took it around the patch a few times,
which means the pilot was (I hope) confident in the autorotating
characteristics on the heliocpter.

Steve
Old August 3rd 03, 02:32 PM

Steve Waltner wrote:

I just got back from Oshkosh, and as normal, the rotorcraft contingent
was very small. I did see a short flight demo of the Mosquito
http://www.innovatortech.ca/ helicopter, which is a true ultralight
helicopter.

I went to that web site. I was expecting to see a stripped down
helicopter, however, it looks like they have a stripped down pilot as
well. Perhaps they should give the guy some pants or a blanket or
something. Its kind of disgusting.

It looks like a nicely designed helicopter. However, the AW95 is much
cheaper. I think that the secret to getting the AW95 under the 254
pound limit is to use a titanium rotor shaft. The AW95 has a much
more substantial frame that weighs more.

In either case, I suspect that any lightweight helicopter is going to
be a bear to fly. I say this because of my limited experience in
Robinson R22s. When they are heavy, they are nicely cooperative.
When they are light, they misbehave.

Dennis H.