Sport Pilot and DUI/DWI

Old August 18th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Sport Pilot and DUI/DWI

As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?
Old August 18th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"john smith" wrote in message
As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

Good question. If you DUI enough to get your DL suspended or revoked you are
grounded.

Old August 18th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Well, there's 61.15 but that's an "after the fact" self reporting
responsibility. I don't know of anything requiring a SP to report prior
convictions. Anybody?
Jim

Old August 18th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

john smith wrote:
As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

Not withstanding the MEDICAL, you're required to report DUI enforcemtn
actions to the FAA security office:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...airmen_duidwi/

Old August 18th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
er, and the FAA scans the National Driver Register which will show
convictions.
Jim

I thought that was only when applying for a medical.
Old August 18th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

er, and the FAA scans the National Driver Register which will show
convictions.

Maybe. According to the FAQ...

Will FAA discover that I have an alcohol-related MVA if I don't report
it?
Yes, FAA Form 8500-8 "Application for Airmen Medical" contains an
express consent provision which authorizes the National Driver Register
(NDR) to release information about your driving record to FAA.
Information on the NDR record will contain pointers to states that keep
a driving history on you. FAA will get these records to determine if you
have a reportable alcohol-related MVA.
Old August 18th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

State laws will suspend the DL, thus no DL, no sport pilot
operation. The FAA can compare their database with the
state reports on DUI.

Old August 19th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

but John... if you are a Sport Pilot and never apply for a medical..
they don't have your consent on a form you never filed..

BT

Old August 19th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

BTIZ wrote:
but John... if you are a Sport Pilot and never apply for a medical..
they don't have your consent on a form you never filed..

Well, they would if you ever applied for a medical before...

BT