Identify this video, please...

Old January 15th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Identify this video, please...

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...6-merlins.mpeg

Can anyone give me some information on this remarkable video? It's
wonderfully clear footage of Merlin-powered Spitfires and Mosquitos,
but it looks too new to be original World War II footage.

It almost looks like Hollywood-quality stuff, but the guy who sent it
in didn't know its origin.

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 15th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sorry can't help, but MAN! Would I love to fly one. :^)

The Monk

Old January 15th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...6-merlins.mpeg

Can anyone give me some information on this remarkable video? It's
wonderfully clear footage of Merlin-powered Spitfires and Mosquitos,
but it looks too new to be original World War II footage.

It almost looks like Hollywood-quality stuff, but the guy who sent it
in didn't know its origin.

It doesn't look like Hollywood-quality stuff to me, it looks too accurate
for Hollywood. You're right that it looks too new to be WWII vintage, far
too new. The airplanes also look real, they don't look like models or
computer generated imagery. But vintage aircraft flown today typically
sport a modern antenna or two, I don't see any of those. I did a quick
check on the squadron codes. HE was used by 263 Squadron, which didn't fly
Mosquitoes, and JE was used by 195 Squadron, which didn't fly Spitfires. Go
figure.

Old January 15th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote...
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...6-merlins.mpeg

Can anyone give me some information on this remarkable video? It's
wonderfully clear footage of Merlin-powered Spitfires and Mosquitos,
but it looks too new to be original World War II footage.

It almost looks like Hollywood-quality stuff, but the guy who sent it
in didn't know its origin.

Thanks!

Jay,

While I don't know the background of the video, I do believe it's 100% CGI
(maybe some of the backgrounds are real). Below is the website it's off of
originally. Check out some of his other videos - some are obviously CG, but
some clips could easily pass for the real thing. I love that mosquito video
though!

http://www.angel.ne.jp/~tochy/

-Tony Goetz

Old January 15th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...6-merlins.mpeg

Can anyone give me some information on this remarkable video? It's
wonderfully clear footage of Merlin-powered Spitfires and Mosquitos,
but it looks too new to be original World War II footage.

It almost looks like Hollywood-quality stuff, but the guy who sent it
in didn't know its origin.

Cannot help either but in my view the Mossie was the best aircraft of all in
WW2.

That video represents heaven

Old January 15th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I would give my right arm for a trip in a Spitfire!

Old January 15th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Tony Goetz" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote...
[...]

I completely disagree. Even the best CG stuff is pretty obvious if you know
what you're looking at. The stuff in The Aviator, Independance Day, etc. is
obviously fake. This footage is the real thing.

KB

Old January 15th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Tony Goetz" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote...
[...]

On the other hand, the fact that the props are all in sync (e.g. all the
Spit's prop's are rotating at the same speed and have the same orientation,
same thing for the Mossies) can't be real...

KB

Old January 15th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in
:

"Tony Goetz" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote...
[...]

I'm no expert at it, but I dabble with CGI, both raytracing and
rendering. I've gotten pretty good at recognizing CGI stuff from
looking at others artwork.

This video is CGI. I see the rendering "mistakes" all over the place
when I check it frame by frame. It's hard to describe, but as good
as this CGI is (and it is very good), there are some things computers
just can't do as good as mother nature - motion blur, surface
reflections, lights.

The clearest example is towards the end of the video. Look at the
light on the tail of the plane as it lands. Pause the video. It's
obviously not a real light.

Even the terrain looks CGI to me.

Kudo's to whoever did this. There was obviously a dedicated effort
to make this look as real as possible. I'd have to say most people
who are not familiar with how CGI is done will be fooled by it.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old January 15th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The clearest example is towards the end of the video. Look at the
light on the tail of the plane as it lands. Pause the video. It's
obviously not a real light.

Even the terrain looks CGI to me.

By GOD, that's amazing. I can't believe that's not real.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA