Tom Cruise's P-51 Mustang

Old July 27th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
Paul Varga

Default Tom Cruise's P-51 Mustang

Military P-51's had an 85 gallon gas tank behind the pilot's seat. Since it
makes the CG kind of screwy for the average joy rider most if not all have
been taken out along with the ww 2 issue boat anchor radios. So actually
most of your civilian Mustangs probably have a jump seat of some sort. TF's
are actually dual control with a second cockpit & panel and longer canopy.
I am not a big fan of his pontification, but at least he keeps the
airplanes in fine fettle.

The guy who played Worf in Star Trek, I believe his name is Dorn, used to
have an F-86 Sabre. Apparently Clint Eastwood flies his own chopper and Gene
Hackman, Patrick Swayze & HArrison Ford are all celeb pilots of note.
Gary Numan (80's techno rocker, "In Cars" was his hit) in England and one of
the guys in Pink Floyd are rock stars who own warbirds in the UK.

Paul Varga
Catskill, NY

"Bob Matthews" wrote in message
The Frozen Canuck wrote:

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

I saw his interview with Diane Sawyer last night. They showed video of
him flying his sweet P-51. It's a really nice one. It has "Kiss Me
Kate" painted on the nose. He had Diane Sawyer in the back seat. He
also had two other warbirds escorting and filming him. One of them was
a british warbird, I think a Sea Fury, and the other might have been
another p-51. I definitely like his taste in planes better than John
Travolta's.

To bad they let insane people fly planes. I guess if you got enough
money............

What do you mean? Scientology? It's beyond me how anyone can belive in
that.

Millions believe in neoconservativism. Which is crazier?

Cheers

==bob

Old February 28th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
tby

Just a few Spitfires are dual seat - Ordered I believe by
the Irish airforce as trainers (?)

Tynes

====================================
"miket6065" wrote in message
news
Yep, I have seen that. In fact the CAF had one.

Normally there is a large
fuel tank there but if you tank it out this just enough

room for a man.

Old February 28th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
®i©ardo

"miket6065" wrote in message
news
Yep, I have seen that. In fact the CAF had one.

Normally there is a large
fuel tank there but if you tank it out this just enough

room for a man.

Delivery of the Spitfire Mk VIII began in April 1943, of which a small
number were converted to two seat trainer aircraft. This was a private
venture by Supermarine and was never accepted by the Royal Air Force,
however the Irish Air Corps were to later purchase the aircraft.

--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old February 28th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
guy

"miket6065" wrote in message
news
Yep, I have seen that. In fact the CAF had one.

Normally there is a large
fuel tank there but if you tank it out this just enough

room for a man.

Delivery of the Spitfire Mk VIII began in April 1943, of which a small
number were converted to two seat trainer aircraft. This was a private
venture by Supermarine and was never accepted by the Royal Air Force,
however the Irish Air Corps were to later purchase the aircraft.

--
Moving things in still pictures!- Hide quoted text -

One (an ex MkIX) was restored by the late Nick Grace and is on the UK
airshow circuit, it has been tweaked though, with the rear cockpit
lowered, looks much better.

guy

Old February 28th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
tby

Yes - Does his wife not fly it now, and with great ability?

Tynes
=======================================
"guy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
Robert Sveinson

"guy" wrote in message
oups.com...

"miket6065" wrote in message
news
Yep, I have seen that. In fact the CAF had one.

Normally there is a large
fuel tank there but if you tank it out this just enough

room for a man.

Delivery of the Spitfire Mk VIII began in April 1943, of which a small
number were converted to two seat trainer aircraft. This was a private
venture by Supermarine and was never accepted by the Royal Air Force,
however the Irish Air Corps were to later purchase the aircraft.

--
Moving things in still pictures!- Hide quoted text -

One (an ex MkIX) was restored by the late Nick Grace and is on the UK
airshow circuit, it has been tweaked though, with the rear cockpit
lowered, looks much better.
http://www.ml407.co.uk/

guy

Old February 28th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
Bill Shatzer

tby wrote:

Just a few Spitfires are dual seat - Ordered I believe by
the Irish airforce as trainers (?)

Postwar conversions of Mk.IXs repurchased by Supermarine from the RAF.

I believe some served with the Argentine and Indian Air Forces as well
as with the Irish.

The Supermarine designation was Type 509.

There are also some cryptic references to some similar conversions being
done in the soviet union.

Cheers,