Komet Trailer Gas Springs

Old March 11th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P. Corbett

Default Komet Trailer Gas Springs

The main gas springs on my Komet trailer seem to be getting weaker,
making opening the trailer difficult. Can anyone suggest a US source for
these? I have emailed the Komet factory but so far, no response.

Paul

Old March 11th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 11, 9:21 am, "P. Corbett " wrote:
The main gas springs on my Komet trailer seem to be getting weaker,
making opening the trailer difficult. Can anyone suggest a US source for
these? I have emailed the Komet factory but so far, no response.

Paul

I can relate. Replace them NOW. Mine went suddenly a few years ago
while I was off flying and I can tell you it takes 2-3 people and a
couple of 2x4's to hold the trailer open while you load the
sailplane. I purchased the new ones (1300 newtons for my 1988 Komet)
from U.S. ENTEC (see add in Soaring Magazine). They were official
replacements but not cheap, so I would recommend checking Mr. Daniels
source -- International Gas Springs. I purchased the gas spring for
my front hatch from IGS.

Mike J.

Old March 11th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 11, 3:56 pm, Bullwinkle wrote:
On 3/11/07 11:58 AM, in article
om,

" wrote:
On Mar 11, 9:21 am, "P. Corbett " wrote:
The main gas springs on my Komet trailer seem to be getting weaker,
making opening the trailer difficult. Can anyone suggest a US source for
these? I have emailed the Komet factory but so far, no response.

Paul

I can relate. Replace them NOW. Mine went suddenly a few years ago
while I was off flying and I can tell you it takes 2-3 people and a
couple of 2x4's to hold the trailer open while you load the
sailplane. I purchased the new ones (1300 newtons for my 1988 Komet)
from U.S. ENTEC (see add in Soaring Magazine). They were official
replacements but not cheap, so I would recommend checking Mr. Daniels
source -- International Gas Springs. I purchased the gas spring for
my front hatch from IGS.

Mike J.

While we're on the topic, my front hatch gas spring is getting very weak. In
getting a new one, is the force in newtons usually noted on the old one
somewhere, or is there a standard value for front hatches? Just trying to be
informed (and avoid mistakes) before I order one from either IGS or
McMaster-Carr.

Thanks in advance,
Bullwinkle- Hide quoted text -

The force, in newtons or pounds, is normally noted on the existing gas
spring. It is either printed or stamped (if it is a metallic label).
There cannot be a standard value since the weight of the hatches
varies depending on size and construction material. Bottom line: Take
all the measurements you can -- extendend length, compressed length,
width of cylinder, width of rod, etc. Note the type of end connectors/
bolts and whether they are standard or metric. Then talk to a
technical person from IGS, McMaster-Carr, or whomever. Fun facts to
know -- ONE NEWTON = 0.22481 pounds

Cracking welds on older Komet trailers Bill Daniels Soaring 2 June 1st 06 03:09 AM
Komet Trailer Rims Tim Hanke Soaring 6 February 28th 06 04:56 PM
KOMET Trailer Cradle [email protected] Soaring 3 September 27th 04 04:33 AM
Komet trailer strut John Shelton Soaring 5 November 15th 03 05:04 PM
Nimbus 2C gas springs Bill Daniels Soaring 1 October 3rd 03 12:44 AM