Aircraft as mobile homes

Old March 29th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Aircraft as mobile homes

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

There was also a TV show back in the early 70's called "The
Magician." Bill Bixby played the title roll and used his skills to
help people. He had what I think was a jet (might have been a 727)
that was not only where he lived but was also the garage for his
Corvette.

Then there was Johnny Quest, who had an aircraft the size of a B-52
that could hold only four people and a dog.

You really realy need to adjust your dosage..

Bertie
Old March 29th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
qansett

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
I was thinking today, first about independent truck drivers, then about
those
people who sell (almost) all they own and buy a huge RV. In the case of
truck
drivers, they often have expensive, fancy rigs complete with bed,
television,
and other amenities that make their trucks a kind of home away from
home--or
perhaps even their primary domicile, if they really enjoy driving around
the
country. In the case of the RV owners, they give up a fixed residence and
live directly in the comfort of their RVs, as they roll around the nation,
constantly visiting new places.

Then I thought to myself: Why can't an airplane be used the same way?
Suppose
you sold your house and various other goods, and bought yourself a really
nice
aircraft. Suppose you outfitted it with RV-style amenities (as space
permits), such as a bed, TV, tiny stove or microwave, refrigerator, PC,
and so
on. In theory, with the right kind of aircraft (obviously something
larger
than a Piper Cub, but it need not necessarily be a Boeing Business Jet),
you
could live out of it, flying periodically from place to place and visiting
the
country from above (rather than from the highway). You could sleep over
at an
airport right in your aircraft, then start out the next day for a new
destination.

Has anyone done this? Is it a practical project, or are there things that
make it impractical or impossible to use an aircraft as a camper or RV?

I know that if you have a really large aircraft, such as your own 737 or
747,
you obviously can live out of it, if you want, but I wonder if this would
also
be true for smaller aircraft--the kind many people might be able to afford
if
they were committed to using an aircraft as their domicile.

why dont you ask Johnny Travolta???

Old March 29th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

qansett writes:

why dont you ask Johnny Travolta???

He doesn't live in his aging 707, as far as I know. He does park it outside
the house, though.

Old March 29th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

qansett writes:

why dont you ask Johnny Travolta???

He doesn't live in his aging 707, as far as I know. He does park it
outside the house, though.

All airplanes are aging, you idiot.

Bertie
Old March 29th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

All airplanes are aging, you idiot.

The 707 has been doing it longer than most. John Travolta's was built in
1964.

Old March 29th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Ken Finney

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

All airplanes are aging, you idiot.

The 707 has been doing it longer than most. John Travolta's was built in
1964.

And the AWACS 707s are going to be in service post 2037.

Old March 29th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

All airplanes are aging, you idiot.

The 707 has been doing it longer than most. John Travolta's was built

in
1964.

Flow older, lots older.

And so what?

Fjukktard

Bertie
Old March 30th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Ken Finney" wrote in
:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

All airplanes are aging, you idiot.

The 707 has been doing it longer than most. John Travolta's was
built in 1964.

And the AWACS 707s are going to be in service post 2037.

They'r enot actually 707's. They look a bit like them, but they're
substantially different airplanes.. Boeing's own designation for them
was 717, in fact.

Bertie
Old March 30th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.religion.asatru,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.130...
"Ken Finney" wrote in
:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

All airplanes are aging, you idiot.

The 707 has been doing it longer than most. John Travolta's was
built in 1964.

And the AWACS 707s are going to be in service post 2037.

They'r enot actually 707's. They look a bit like them, but they're
substantially different airplanes.. Boeing's own designation for them
was 717, in fact.

The predecessor of the 707 was the KC-135, the 717. The AWACS 707s are
indeed militarized commercial 707s.

Old March 30th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Ken Finney" wrote in news:JFq444.Lr6
@news.boeing.com:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

All airplanes are aging, you idiot.

The 707 has been doing it longer than most. John Travolta's was
built in 1964.

And the AWACS 707s are going to be in service post 2037.

They'r enot actually 707's. They look a bit like them, but they're
substantially different airplanes.. Boeing's own designation for them
was 717, in fact.

The predecessor of the 707 was the KC-135, the 717. The AWACS 707s

are
indeed militarized commercial 707s.

Oops, you're dead right!

Bertie