$3 digital voltmeters

Old January 7th 04, 06:11 PM
Jim Weir

Default $3 digital voltmeters

For those of you who want a cheap knockaround digital voltmeter (multimeter,
actually) Harbor Freight has them for $2.99 apiece (part #30756).

Shipping is $6 PER ORDER minimum, so I'd probably get together with the chapter
and order a couple of dozen to spread the shipping costs around.

The downside is that they do work from a relatively expensive 9-volt "transistor
radio" battery, but the upside is that even after a couple of years, I haven't
had to replace a battery yet. The battery, even at K-mart, is more than the
cost of the voltmeter.

I'm just now going to order a couple of dozen...twenty for the class and another
few just to have around the shack.

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 7th 04, 08:59 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Jim Weir wrote:
For those of you who want a cheap knockaround digital voltmeter (multimeter,
actually) Harbor Freight has them for $2.99 apiece (part #30756).

I have something suspiciously similar to that in black, only identifying
mark is "DT810B". Leads across the bottom and transistor tester on the
right but the knob, display and leads are identical. And I opened it
to see if it used the expensive battery and it does. And for the ultimate
in cheap: The fuse is soldered down. There's a place in the world where
it's cheaper to have a human solder in a fuse than to include a fuse
holder... I think I got it from BG Micro, in case HF runs dry.

Shipping is $6 PER ORDER minimum, so I'd probably get together with the chapter
and order a couple of dozen to spread the shipping costs around.

Free if you go over $50. I always meant to buy their $49.95 anvil and
a breath mint just for that reason.

Also, see if they have a store in your area. You can walk in in Portland.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 7th 04, 09:23 PM
Jim Weir

I've never gotten free shipping from Harbor Freight EXCEPT once every other year
they send me a catalog that has a "free shipping" coupon. This time the coupon
is for a free rucksack plus $5 off for orders over $30.

Shipping for orders up to $15 is $6, up to $35 is $8, and over $35 is $10.
That's been the way it has been for quite a few years now, but they DID knock
off the "$5 per order below $50 handling" crap last year.

Jim

(Ben Jackson)

-
Old January 7th 04, 09:35 PM
Rich S.

"Jim Weir" wrote in message

I've never gotten free shipping from Harbor Freight EXCEPT once every

other year
they send me a catalog that has a "free shipping" coupon. This time the

coupon
is for a free rucksack plus $5 off for orders over $30.

Shipping for orders up to $15 is $6, up to $35 is $8, and over $35 is $10.
That's been the way it has been for quite a few years now, but they DID

knock
off the "$5 per order below $50 handling" crap last year.

Jim...........

Ben is correct on the "Free Shipping on orders over $50" offer.

Rich S.

Old January 8th 04, 01:37 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Weir wrote:

For those of you who want a cheap knockaround digital voltmeter (multimeter,
actually) Harbor Freight has them for $2.99 apiece (part #30756).

Thanks man! There's some other stuff I need from them.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 8th 04, 01:48 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Weir wrote:

I've never gotten free shipping from Harbor Freight EXCEPT once every other year
they send me a catalog that has a "free shipping" coupon. This time the coupon
is for a free rucksack plus $5 off for orders over $30.

Well, I happen to have one of those free shipping catalogs. The shipping is free
on any order of $39.99 or more. The coupon code for the free shipping is 940-475-479.
From experience, I can tell you that you have to call in the order to use the coupon;
you can't use the web site. Also. Harbor Freight uses an alphabetic appendage on the
item number to identify the catalog from which it was ordered. The item number for
this meter is 30756-4JKA in this catalog. Hope this saves you some money, Jim.

Old January 8th 04, 01:47 PM
sidk

Jim, the "free shipping" for orders over $50 has been a standard
Harbor Freight offer for years. But as you correctly note, they often
have offers for free shipping for orders of $29.95 and $39.95.
This is an especially good deal if one is ordering truly heavy stuff
like shop machinery where otherwise one would pay hefty motor-freight
charges.

This is a great little meter. I have bought many over the years from
them (at prices from about $6 to $12) and have one in every vehicle
(aircraft included), and given them as gifts to family and friends. I
have never had to replace a battery except in one that I forgot to
turn off after use.
73
Sid Knox
Velocity N199RS