430W/When does the glideslope register

Old September 23rd 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
scott moore

Default 430W/When does the glideslope register

Keep in mind I tried out my new 430W install for
the first time today.

I tried a few sample approaches, really outstanding.
The 430W makes you want to try full (not vectored)
approaches because it essentially automates everything.
It will hold on the approach hold, start the approach
on its own when you tell it, and fly the missed to
hold also on its own.

After trying the published approach a couple of times,
I then tried using it in a standard pattern. I wanted
to see if I could use it like a standard ILS, where the
GS becomes active on the approach. This didn't work
unless I maneuvered back behind the FAF. Attempting to
forward the approach past the FAF to the runway or
to a fix between it and the FAF worked, but announced
"approach not active", and no GS was seen.

I guess it makes sense that the GS does not go active
unless you at least fly through the FAF. Has this
been your experience with the 430W? Or is there another
way to get it to show the GS on most/all approaches,
including VFR patterns?

Thanks.
Old September 23rd 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B[_2_]

The FAA learned early-on that there are issues with having an RNAV hold
at the FAF. So, that is why they are at the IF.

With an ILS where the hold is at the FAF the presumption is that you
will be using the ILS G/S, not the WAAAS G/S.

You might try changing to VTF rolling out inbound on your last hold.

Old September 25th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 9/23/2007 2:31:29 AM, scott moore wrote:

After trying the published approach a couple of times,
I then tried using it in a standard pattern. I wanted
to see if I could use it like a standard ILS, where the
GS becomes active on the approach.

I have flown behind my GNS430W approximately six times since my unit was
upgraded and in each case I requested the GPS approach, which is an LPV
approach to 275 foot minimums, upon returning to my home class C airport. For
each of these three approaches I requested vectors to final and also
requested to be vectored onto the final approach course at least three miles
outside the FAF so that I could observe the glideslope indicator.

IIRC the G/S came alive approximately two miles outside the FAF and for the
most part the entire approach acted like an ILS.

--
Peter
Old September 26th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

On Sep 24, 5:58 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
On 9/23/2007 2:31:29 AM, scott moore wrote:

After trying the published approach a couple of times,
I then tried using it in a standard pattern. I wanted
to see if I could use it like a standard ILS, where the
GS becomes active on the approach.

The glideslope appears when the final approach becomes the active fix.

If you are in "Vectors to Final" mode, that will be quite a way out...
the length
of the magenta line or thereabouts. Handy when trying to meet the
requirements for glideslope coupling on autopilots.

Bill Hale BPPP instructor

Old September 26th 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B[_2_]

Bill wrote:
On Sep 24, 5:58 pm, "Peter R." wrote:

On 9/23/2007 2:31:29 AM, scott moore wrote:

After trying the published approach a couple of times,
I then tried using it in a standard pattern. I wanted
to see if I could use it like a standard ILS, where the
GS becomes active on the approach.

The glideslope appears when the final approach becomes the active fix.

If you are in "Vectors to Final" mode, that will be quite a way out...
the length
of the magenta line or thereabouts. Handy when trying to meet the
requirements for glideslope coupling on autopilots.

Bill Hale BPPP instructor

When it is not VTF the G/S becomes active at the IF, assuming WAAS is
"green."

On VTF the lateral ramp down in Garmin W boxes begins at 30 miles, LPV
or not. The 145/146 specs do not mandate that, but Garmin elected to
implement in that manner. I am not sure, but I suppose the G/S could
become active (assuming WAAS in the "green) as far as 30 miles out on VTF.
Old September 27th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 9/26/2007 12:40:36 AM, Bill wrote:

If you are in "Vectors to Final" mode, that will be quite a way out...
the length
of the magenta line or thereabouts. Handy when trying to meet the
requirements for glideslope coupling on autopilots.

I haven't tried VTF on a GPS approach with the 430W yet, but given your
description I look forward to doing so the next VMC opportunity.

--
Peter

430W doubling in cost? bdl Owning 19 August 18th 07 11:11 PM
Garmin 430W holding help? Paul kgyy Piloting 1 April 10th 07 11:36 PM
Garmin 430W/530W first impressions Viperdoc[_4_] Instrument Flight Rules 9 February 27th 07 02:10 AM
GNS 430W vs GNS 480 Ron Gordon Instrument Flight Rules 66 January 4th 07 06:45 PM
Falke/T61 register Ian Walton Soaring 1 June 13th 06 09:06 AM