LS3-A water bags

Old December 15th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS3-A water bags

I want to remove the water bags in my LS3-A and check them for leaks.
The only hole I see at the wingtip is a 3/8 hole located on the bottom
about 2 or three inches from the tip. How do I get the bag out
without ruining the ability to get it back in?

Also, the seat belts have been in the ship since new. No tags on the
belts. They are in fair shape but I am replacing them anyway. My
question is, since these belts are original, and no TSO tags, how did
the annual get signed off every year? (I know how the annual got
signed off. 200 bucks and your done) But as owners of these
sailplanes we are legally responsible for the airworthiness of these
ships. How many of us are getting pencil-whipped anuals. Is this a
concern as the average age of the fleets is getting older? This may
be a beer-in-the bar discussion but I am curious as to who is getting
inspections done by an IA experienced in glass sailplanes or just
getting a quick sign off by the powered aircraft IA who works ourt of
the back of his truck?

Thanks
Mike Martin
Old December 15th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Well Mike, do you feel better now that you have bashed those who might
have the information you seek? I have answers to both of your
questions, but you won't getting them from me!
JJ Sinclair
Graduated from USAF A&E mechanic school, Shepard AFB, June 1952

Old December 15th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 15, 5:27 am, wrote:

[...]

Mike Martin- Hide quoted text -

JJ,
My wife tells me that I have this ability to be to direct. The
internet seems to magnify this and what I. thought was an honset
question for discussion apparently offended you. I apoligize.

Your advise on this site has always been valuable. You have helped me
out on several other occasions. I would hate to lose that resource
because of my ill worded post to the internet. I hope you will change
your mind and help me out.

Mike Martin

Old December 15th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

there are ways to do both..
ask the experienced sailplane mechanic to whom you paid for your last
annual.
BT

Old December 20th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Mike,

The bags come out through the root end... not the tip.

Not terribly tricky... but you need to understand the whole system
before you start pulling them apart. And (WHATEVER YOU DO, BE SURE THAT
YOU DO NOT LET THE RETENTION CORD SLIP FROM THE PULLEY!!)

One way of checking them is to simply fill them with a few gallons of
water. However, leaks could be in a couple of different places instead
of the bags themselves. YMMV

Larry "01" Goddard

former LS3-a driver

:

Old December 22nd 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:27:40 -0800, mmartin46 wrote:

I want to remove the water bags in my LS3-A and check them for leaks.
The only hole I see at the wingtip is a 3/8 hole located on the bottom
about 2 or three inches from the tip. How do I get the bag out without
ruining the ability to get it back in?

I have done this befo

1) Have a look at the manual. Also there is a works instruction from LS
on doing this. If possible get someone who has done it before to brief
you. Don't start before you know how it works inside.

2) There is a cord which goes from the end of the wingbag around a pulley
which is located inside the wing, near the tip, and back down the wing to
where it is tied, at the wing root. You need to untie this to get the bag
out, but as the bag comes out, the cord goes into the wing. If you let
the end of the cord disappear into the wing, you WILL need the services
of somebody with experience, ingenuity and skill of JJ to get the bag
back into the wing.

(The original cord, as installed by LS, is not long enough for the bag to
be removed without the end getting lost - so you have to extend it. Then
the joint between the original and the extension cord has to travel
around the pulley without getting jammed. All this is explained in the
manufacturers instructions).

3) There is a large diameter "nut" on the outlet pipe of the bag that you
have to loosen to get the bag out. You can only just get your hand into
the wing far enough to grip it and if it is tight you will never get
enough force on it to loosen it. We have a special tool that the previous
owner devised for loosening the nut.

Maybe you should join the LS owners forum on Yahoo groups. Many people
who have know how to do this are there.

Good Luck

Ian
Old December 24th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 22, 2:17*pm, Ian wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ian and Larry,
I have a maintenance manual but it makes no mention of the water
bags. Your description helps clarify the installation. I will email
DG and see if they have a copy of the service insturction you
mentioned.

I tried combing the yahoo groups and could not find any LS groups. If
you know of one could you you post it here?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Mike

Water Bags Ramy Soaring 1 November 12th 14 07:22 PM
Water bags ASM Soaring 0 May 26th 07 08:00 PM
ASW-24 water bags Sam Fly Soaring 0 May 27th 05 11:08 PM
Water, water, everywhere, but none for thirsty wings.... Chris OCallaghan Soaring 0 November 21st 04 03:14 PM
Pub Bags and Kneeboards Pilot3400 Military Aviation 0 July 21st 04 03:35 PM