Starting soaring. Where is the best place to learn and fly within 100mi from NYC?

Old March 15th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default Starting soaring. Where is the best place to learn and fly within100 mi from NYC?

On Mar 14, 2:46*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Mar 13, 7:32*pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:07:42 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
With 100 miles of NYC there is JFK or LGA or EWR...
Take a flight to RNO... drive south an hour and arrive at Minden NV.

I heard they've been giving soaring lessons recently from LGA...

Nah, it's just gliding lessons and you are dunked at the end of each
flight.

And it comes with complimentary drinks: the house special is two shots
of Grey Goose and a splash of cold water.

-T8
Old March 15th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flymaule

A bit far, but within your 100 mi radius--consider Philadelphia Glider
Council (PGC). A large club (125 members) with an all glass fleet of
8 gliders and 2 tow planes. View at www.pgcsoaring.org. We have
several NY members as well as members from GA, DE, NJ, and MD.

Skip Guimond
Old March 16th 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greggy

Wurtsboro, NY or Blairstown, NJ.....Stay away from the club
sceene...it could take more than a summer....go to one of the
commercial operators at Blairstown, or Wurtsboro.

Wurtsboroairport.com Yards Creek soaring, Blairstown, NJ

GL

On Mar 11, 7:10*pm, VladC wrote:
Hi there,
I'd like get into the soaring. My plan is to get certified over the
summer.
Where is the best flying conditions and club not too far from NYC (100
mi).

I appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
Vlad

Old March 17th 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
VladC

Thanks you guys for all your help!
I took my first flight in Z-Hills, Florida. I like the club way of
getting certified. Working for the club to get free training does
sound nice. I got the SSA membership and now I’m choosing btw.
Blairstown and Valley Soaring. Both are close to a drop zones where I
skydive.

Does ACA club in Blairstown provides instructors and planes or only
commercial Yards Creek Soaring does?
As for many of us, due to a family, financial consideration would play
a big role.
I did contacted both clubs but it must be a slow time, no responce
yet.

Regards,
Vlad
Old March 17th 10, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Kiray

On Mar 16, 9:21*am, Greggy wrote:
Wurtsboro, NY or Blairstown, NJ.....Stay away from the club
sceene...it could take more than a summer....go to one of the
commercial operators at Blairstown, or Wurtsboro

I went from my first demo ride to license in fourth months in the
"club scene" at Philadelphia Glider Council (1998). You get out what
you put in..
Old March 21st 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

I went from my first demo ride to license in fourth months in the
"club scene" at Philadelphia Glider Council (1998). You get out what
you put in..

Exactly! And, remember that the license is just a stepping stone. After
you get the license, then what? It's all flying.

Tony V. LS6-b