Licensing order

Old March 18th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Licensing order

On Mar 15, 6:23*pm, Matt wrote:
Hi all,
I've been looking into getting my private pilot's license. I've taken
test flights in a cessna (172SP) and a glider (GROB 103). I really
liked the glider, but I also like the benefits of the private.

What order would be best to get both licenses? Should I get a private
first with a glider addon or go for the glider first and work toward
the private?

Also, would getting a private be worthwhile even if I mostly fly
gliders?

thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Something that you might consider as far as some of the advice you
have received so far......

It takes on average, realistically, 60 to 80 hours of training in
airplanes to get a private single engine land rating.......Not the 40
hour minimum listed in the FAR's.

If you were to get a glider rating FIRST, and some soaring experience
on top of that, you should realistically cut the airplane training
down, close that minimum 40 hours. That is a huge savings in time
and money, IF you want both ratings. On the other hand, having the
airplane rating, the min time for glider training is very little, but
again not realistic.

Its been my experience that airplane pilots need about 15 training
flights in gliders to solo, then at least another 20 solo flights,
plus some prep flights for the practical. This is for "sharp"
airplane pilots......some take far more training. But that is only to
get the rating by passing the practical. It take a looooooong time to
become a "good" glider pilot.

For comparison, most of my students starting from scratch in gliders
take around 40 training flights, and 40 solo flights.

I completed my airplane add-on in 42 hours, and that was spread out
over several years. I already had commercial glider and a lot of
soaring time.

So to sum up..........An airplane pilot will cut his glider training
in half. A glider pilot can cut his airplane training in half.

Cookie

Old March 18th 10, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 17, 9:10*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 15, 6:23*pm, Matt wrote:

[...]

This is consistent with what I have observed- well said.
UH
Old March 19th 10, 04:49 PM
tomcatvf51 tomcatvf51 is offline
Junior Member

Location: SE PA

As a Airplane and Glider CFI I would encourage most people to start out in a Glider, get the private and then move on to the airplane. The hardest student for me is a low time private airplane pilot who does not have many recent hours. I end up having to cover up all the instruments in the glider to get their eyes outside. In particular, students that have got their ticket on a glass airplane seem to spend all their time inside the cockpit. A number of "bad" airplane habits have to be broken. Numerous times now, the low time private airplane pilot takes longer to solo than the person that has never flown before. Plus, they usually have no formation experience. As far as glider pilots moving over to an airplane, they are ready to solo in a few flights, spend most of their time flying cross country and are ready to take the check ride at 40 hours. Some of the glider time counts towards the 40 hours but you really have to dig into Part 61 to figure it out and just so there isn't a conflict with the examiner most of my students get their 40th airplane hour on the flight up the the examiner.

A caveat is for the older first time pilot. My rule of thumb is that it takes about 20 glider flights to solo for someone 20 years old or younger, increasing one flight for every year older than 20 years. My 70 year old student took close to 70 flights to solo and my 45 year old student took around 45 flights. Teenagers are great to instruct, they make a mistake, you show them the correct way and they never forget. So an older first time pilot might be better starting in an airplane with the ability to do landings over and over on the same flight.

Now for someone doing a glider add-on with a lot of aircraft flight time, usually flying the tow light bulb comes on during the second tow and they are ready to solo on the third or fourth flight. Just need to get them using the rudder.

Just my 2 cents worth after instructing in airplanes for 25 years and gliders for 12 years.

- Barry Muhlenberg, CFIG Cloudniners, Morgantown (O03), PA
Old March 21st 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Dean wrote:
Matt,

Its more cost efficient to get the power license first and then the
add-on glider rating. You only need 10 solo flights(with a 360 degree
turn) to get a glider add-on rating(no written required).

Yes, and then you'll have a glider rating - but you won't be a glider
pilot. UH has it right, it takes time and experience.

We have a local College whose prime reason for being is to pump out
bodies to fill right seats. Nothing wrong with that. They also have a
Grob 109B or two and all of their graduates get CFI-Gs as well. One
wanted to come and instruct for our (pure glider) club. We had to
decline his offer. Becoming a glider pilot takes time.

Tony V.

Licensing Question - US Gary Emerson Soaring 5 December 10th 07 11:28 PM
Hypothetical ?? About Licensing Kyle Boatright Piloting 5 March 14th 07 12:59 PM
Gyro's and Licensing TM Rotorcraft 0 December 31st 06 01:56 AM
licensing for homebuilts Tater Schuld Home Built 24 February 27th 06 11:55 AM
BGA and licensing Mark James Boyd Soaring 6 August 24th 04 03:16 AM