Mushroom cloud over NK

Old September 12th 04, 05:15 AM
Bob Urz

Default Mushroom cloud over NK

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=6211095

Bob

Old September 12th 04, 05:24 AM
Bob Coe

That's never a good sign...

Old September 12th 04, 06:05 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Bob Urz wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...RBAEKSF FA?ty
pe=topNews&storyID=6211095

Bob

If it was nuclear, I am sure that our satellites would have verified it.
Old September 12th 04, 01:20 PM
Chad Irby

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
Bob Urz wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...ECRBAEKSF FA?
type=topNews&storyID=6211095

If it was nuclear, I am sure that our satellites would have verified it.

Not if it was a shallow underground burst.

We'd get geophysical confirmation if that were so, though.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old September 12th 04, 06:03 PM
nobody

Glenfiddich wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 05:05:14 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Urz wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...RBAEKSF FA?ty
pe=topNews&storyID=6211095

Bob

If it was nuclear, I am sure that our satellites would have verified it.

It could have been a large TNT blast to calibrate sensors for
an upcoming nuke test.

ANY large explosion from that region is bad news.

It was an antimatter bomb.

Old September 14th 04, 03:48 AM
Marc Reeve

Ian MacLure wrote:

"Bob Coe" wrote in news:fcQ0d.24167$ni.22295@okepread01:

That's never a good sign...

Given it was apparently close to the PRC border, I cannot imagine
Beijing is very happy if in fact it is a nuke of some sort.
I expect radiation monitoring or Vela satellite data will soon
establish what it was.
I'd say it was another giant economy size accidental detonation
of something like that train earlier this year.

IBM

They're claiming it was an explosives-assisted excavation (read: pour in a
couple thousand gallons of ANFO and ignite) for a new hydroelectric reservoir.

The lack of radiation seems to support this theory.
Old September 14th 04, 01:20 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Marc Reeve writes:
Ian MacLure wrote:

"Bob Coe" wrote in news:fcQ0d.24167$ni.22295@okepread01:

That's never a good sign...

Given it was apparently close to the PRC border, I cannot imagine
Beijing is very happy if in fact it is a nuke of some sort.
I expect radiation monitoring or Vela satellite data will soon
establish what it was.
I'd say it was another giant economy size accidental detonation
of something like that train earlier this year.

IBM

They're claiming it was an explosives-assisted excavation (read: pour in a
couple thousand gallons of ANFO and ignite) for a new hydroelectric reservoir.

The lack of radiation seems to support this theory.

One would think that if, indeed they were doing that, it would be
better tamped - that's an awful lot of wasted explosive, if you're
throwing that much stuff in the air.

It is the sort of thing that somebody would do if they were, say,
calibrating a test range for a nuclear shot. Or trying to play
propoganda games. (No, it wasn't a well-hidden nuke shot - a nuke has
several ideosyncratic signatures that would be a certain tipoff, and
seismographic detection can be done from anywhere.)
The Chinese certainly aren't happy about this. If the Minimum Leader
had any sense, he'd hunker down & shut up, not set up a nuclear
weapons testing range on the border of my largest opponent.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster