FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

Old November 29th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

Can somebody explain why on earth our highest ranking pilots are barred from competition in the 2013 Argentina WGC??

Not sure what you mean by this......
John Cochrane

I understand the rules which prohibit a pilot like Doug Jacobs to
compete in WGC 2013 in Argentina. My question to all reading this
forum is why we're these rules created? What's the reason for this
rule to prohibit a pilot like Doug Jacobs to compete in a club class
world championship? Just curious of the history behind how this came
about.

Old November 29th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

This

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:02:10 PM UTC-5, Scott Alexander wrote:
Can somebody explain why on earth our highest ranking pilots are barred from competition in the 2013 Argentina WGC??

Not sure what you mean by this......

John Cochrane

I understand the rules which prohibit a pilot like Doug Jacobs to

compete in WGC 2013 in Argentina. My question to all reading this

forum is why we're these rules created? What's the reason for this

rule to prohibit a pilot like Doug Jacobs to compete in a club class

world championship? Just curious of the history behind how this came

about.

This restriction was dropped per the announcement on the SSA website Sept 2010 and ratified by the SSA BOD Jan 2011.
QT

Old November 29th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Wednesday, 28 November 2012 07:25:04 UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:17:54 PM UTC-8, Ron Gleason wrote:

On Tuesday, 27 November 2012 17:38:13 UTC-7, wrote:

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:31:05 PM UTC-8, Ron Gleason wrote:

On Tuesday, 20 November 2012 07:42:32 UTC-7, wrote:

The U.S. is moving towards recognizing the Club Class in 2013. A poll has been created to validate interest in establishing FAI (IGC) rules / tasking philosophy in this new class. If approved the U.S. Club Class would be the ONLY U.S. racing class under FAI (IGC) racing rules.

Please sign the petition IF YOU are interested in supporting or flying US Club Class under FAI (IGC) rules / tasking philosophy.

In the optional personal comment section please enter (if applicable):

1. Your position on the US seeding list.

2. If you have access to or own a Club Class glider, what type.

3. If you are familiar with IGC rules and prefer those rules over US rules.

4. If you would financially or otherwise support development of the US Club Class under FAI (IGC) rules.

5. If you don't currently fly US contests but would start flying US Club Class under FAI (IGC) rules.

6. If you currently fly US contests (Standard, Open, 15m, 18m or Sports) and are interested in flying US Club Class under FAI (IGC) rules.

7. Any other comments welcome!

Link to petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/262/8...out-exception/

Sean Franke

US Club Class Team Member

Sean, how are you proposing to score these contests? Are you going to use SeeYou?

Ron Gleason

SeeYou is popular and works well. I propose using SeeYou unless a better solution is brought up.

Sean Franke

Hate to dive deep into details since this is a theoretical discussion but will the SSA have to approve the SeeYou scoring script you will use? Or will you use 'default' SeeYou Competition scoring parameters? Do you have people and/or resources identified that are able to use SeeYou for scoring?

Sorry but devil is in the detail(s).

Ron Gleason

Do you see any reason the SSA won't approve? Unseen problems?

Sean Franke

Other than the 1-26 class I not sure how the SSA RC has allowed anything other than Winscore in the past. I see no problems using SeeYou Competition, like any scoring program you need experience with it. There are a number of 'administrative' steps that become manual with SeeYou.
Old November 29th 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Other than the 1-26 class I not sure how the SSA RC has allowed anything other than Winscore in the past. *I see no problems using SeeYou Competition, like any scoring program you need experience with it. *There are a number of 'administrative' steps that become manual with SeeYou.

There is no rules-required official scoring program. Use a slide rule
if you want to. 1-26ers use their own program.

John Cochrane
Old November 30th 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 29 November 2012 16:20:16 UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:

Other than the 1-26 class I not sure how the SSA RC has allowed anything other than Winscore in the past. *I see no problems using SeeYou Competition, like any scoring program you need experience with it. *There are a number of 'administrative' steps that become manual with SeeYou.

There is no rules-required official scoring program. Use a slide rule

if you want to. 1-26ers use their own program.

John Cochrane

Thanks John, need to find and dust off that slide ruler!
Old November 30th 12, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:24:07 PM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:

On Thursday, 29 November 2012 16:20:16 UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:

Other than the 1-26 class I not sure how the SSA RC has allowed anything other than Winscore in the past. *I see no problems using SeeYou Competition, like any scoring program you need experience with it. *There are a number of 'administrative' steps that become manual with SeeYou.

There is no rules-required official scoring program. Use a slide rule

if you want to. 1-26ers use their own program.

John Cochrane

Thanks John, need to find and dust off that slide ruler!

The SeeYou scoring module very easy to use with FAI rules. SeeYou was highly successfully when used by the American scorers during the 2012 World Championship in Uvalde this [ast summer. They all had minimal previous experience with it. I am sure other scorer's could pick it up just as easily.

SeeYou is good software, well supported by Naviteer and used by many major contests worldwide. Utilizing this software for the 2013 US FAI Club Class Nationals would be plug and play simple. My wife is excellent with both SeeYou and WinScore. She would be happy to help score (or fully score) for the contests I attend in 2013. I am also willing to train via GoToMeeting anytime...

Sean
F2
Old November 30th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Here is a link to the manual for SeeYou Competition: http://download.naviter.com/docs/cucompetition.pdf

It is a quick, simple read...
Old November 30th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 29 November 2012 20:46:20 UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
[...]

F2 wrote - They all had minimal previous experience with it

this is an untrue statement, some of us, including me, have much experience with SeeYou Competition. Make sure you have your facts correct.

Will be watching to see how this unfolds, good luck. I support the SSA competition committee approach, I fly a ASW20 BL 8-)
Old November 30th 12, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Ron,

Thanks for clarifying. I was not aware of previous experience unless perhaps you are referring to the Pre-Worlds in Uvalde the year before.

May I ask you to further clarify this "much" experience with See You Competition (with US Scorer's) prior to this summers World Championship in the USA. Please be specific and list what competitions you or others have scored using SeeYou Comp (I am assuming you mean in the USA?).

Could you expound on what that experience was like in terms of learning curve, ease of use, etc.

How would you review your experience using SeeYou Competition at the World Championships with this previous experience? Was it reasonably easy to use? Was it unusable? How does it compare to Winscore?

Sincerely,

Sean

Club Class Nationals 5 ugly Soaring 37 September 24th 10 03:27 AM
US 15 Meters Nationals and Region V South Club Class [email protected] Soaring 0 March 12th 09 03:59 PM
Establishing Club Class/Too Many Nationals/Not Enough Competitors Tim[_2_] Soaring 14 October 2nd 08 03:34 PM
AUS Club Class Nationals Overall Results Mal Soaring 0 January 27th 06 09:55 AM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM