70 kg 31:1 glider is here to stay?

Old November 20th 04, 01:46 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:00:39 GMT, "Pete Reinhart"
wrote:
.. Most one design
classes ultimately end up something like the 1-26 class just to get the
participation.

Seems to be effective. Maybe there's a point there that everyone is
missing, like "fun"?

Old November 20th 04, 01:47 AM
Slick

To me this plane is fascinating. I'm amazed by the stall speed of 20 mph. It
sounds like it would be a great idea for soaring around very scenic areas,
where you don't want to rush around all of the time. As well, it would be
comforting to know that if an emergency landing was needed in an
un-inhabitable area, that the crash could be at very slow speed. If it's
durable, easy to assemble/disassemble, and reasonably priced I believe this
would make and excellent club ship.
"Andre Volant" wrote in message
om...
For soaring, this is it.
New racing class?
Why fly fast when you can fly slower.
What's a rush anyway?
Race slower, cover less ground, easier retrieve.
Stalls at 31.4 km/h

http://www.revilo-france.fr/avgauchesthil2.jpg
http://www.revilo-france.fr/3vues.jpg

Empty weight env. 70 Kg
Span 15 meters
Lenght 5,35 meters
Aspect ratio 21,3
Area 10,56 m2
Glide ratio 31 at 54 Km/h
Stall 31,4 Km/h
Minimum sink rate 0,42 m/s at 40 Km/h
VNE 140 Km/h

Andre

Old November 20th 04, 08:25 AM
Pete Brown

Charles Yeates wrote:
Depends on pocketbook, eh? Some can afford a PW-5 and some ASH25M
Enjoyment of each can be equal.

Charles:

This is exactly the case.

I have always thought that the huge increment in the
enjoyment of my life come from when I have wings.

The step I take I go from -0- wings to 20/1 wings is an
infinitely bigger leap than when I go from 20/1 to 40/1.

I look forward to the day when I can introduce my non-winged
friends to flying in a PW-6 or any other aircraft. The
magic occurs when we leave the ground and inhabit the sky.

Pete

Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return." -- Leonardo da Vinci.

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old November 20th 04, 10:57 AM
Avron Tal

Another interesting one:
http://www.aeros.com.ua/products/sailplane/index.htm

Avron Tal
Old November 20th 04, 03:03 PM
Jack Harkin

Stewart Kissel wrote in message ...
Gee...that sure explains how a 1-26 won the OLC...with
a lot of very long flights.

At 23:06 19 November 2004, wrote:
One guy buys a PW5. Another guy buys a Libelle or
Std Cirrus, flys
circles around the PW5, and has $10K or so left over
to spend on booze
or hookers or whatever. Who has got more enjoyment
for his money?

Might have something to do with the pilot?
Old November 20th 04, 03:28 PM
Shawn

Avron Tal wrote:
Another interesting one:
http://www.aeros.com.ua/products/sailplane/index.htm

Looks like fun, but the fact that the best glide occurs at about the
stall speed of my Mosquito suggests that penetration ability will be
limited. Also, given that it takes me twice as long to rig as anybody
else, an advertised rig time of 40 minutes is a big negative.
As a step up from hang gliding or over from 1-26s, it looks good.
Does SH know about this?
http://www.aeros.com.ua/products/hg/discus.htm

Shawn
Old November 20th 04, 03:36 PM
Robert Ehrlich

----------
Dans l'article , Charles
Yeates a écrit :

Depends on pocketbook, eh? Some can afford a PW-5 and some ASH25M
Enjoyment of each can be equal.

And others like mysef and many members of my club can't afford anything,
or wouldn't have any money for paying for launches after buying a PW-5,
but our club can afford 4 LS4, 2 Pégases, 1 ASW24, 2 Discus, 2 LS6 (17.5
& 18m), so why would we even consider buying a PW-5?
Old November 20th 04, 04:29 PM
Mike Stringfellow

Somehow, drifting around in a speed-challenged sailplane so I can
crash into trees slowly doesn't have quite so much appeal as flying
quickly cross-country and landing at an airfield!
Old November 20th 04, 05:25 PM
Eric Greenwell

Robert Ehrlich wrote:

----------
Dans l'article , Charles
Yeates a écrit :

Depends on pocketbook, eh? Some can afford a PW-5 and some ASH25M
Enjoyment of each can be equal.

And others like mysef and many members of my club can't afford anything,
or wouldn't have any money for paying for launches after buying a PW-5,
but our club can afford 4 LS4, 2 Pégases, 1 ASW24, 2 Discus, 2 LS6 (17.5
& 18m), so why would we even consider buying a PW-5?

To compete in the World Class competitions?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

North Island NZ glider pilots, farm/ranch stay advice pls Kizuno Soaring 1 September 22nd 04 01:37 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM