70 kg 31:1 glider is here to stay?

Old November 20th 04, 05:44 PM
Mike Ziaskas

Though this ship looks like a hoot to fly, I have my
doubts whether this ship could be aerotowed by conventional
towplanes. __Mike

At 02:12 20 November 2004, Slick wrote:
To me this plane is fascinating. I'm amazed by the
stall speed of 20 mph. It
sounds like it would be a great idea for soaring around
very scenic areas,
where you don't want to rush around all of the time.
As well, it would be
comforting to know that if an emergency landing was
needed in an
un-inhabitable area, that the crash could be at very
slow speed. If it's
durable, easy to assemble/disassemble, and reasonably
priced I believe this
would make and excellent club ship.
'Andre Volant' wrote in message
. com...
For soaring, this is it.
New racing class?
Why fly fast when you can fly slower.
What's a rush anyway?
Race slower, cover less ground, easier retrieve.
Stalls at 31.4 km/h

http://www.revilo-france.fr/avgauchesthil2.jpg
http://www.revilo-france.fr/3vues.jpg

Empty weight env. 70 Kg
Span 15 meters
Lenght 5,35 meters
Aspect ratio 21,3
Area 10,56 m2
Glide ratio 31 at 54 Km/h
Stall 31,4 Km/h
Minimum sink rate 0,42 m/s at 40 Km/h
VNE 140 Km/h

Andre

Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in
the World! 100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via
Encryption =---

Mike Z

Old November 20th 04, 06:29 PM
Robert Ehrlich

----------
Dans l'article , Eric
Greenwell a écrit :

Robert Ehrlich wrote:

----------
Dans l'article , Charles
Yeates a écrit :

Depends on pocketbook, eh? Some can afford a PW-5 and some ASH25M
Enjoyment of each can be equal.

And others like mysef and many members of my club can't afford anything,
or wouldn't have any money for paying for launches after buying a PW-5,
but our club can afford 4 LS4, 2 Pégases, 1 ASW24, 2 Discus, 2 LS6 (17.5
& 18m), so why would we even consider buying a PW-5?

To compete in the World Class competitions?

This is the only reason for which the 5 PW-5 registered now in France were
bought. No, only 4 of them, one was won as the prize for the 1st World Air
Games. The 2 winners of the 2 first internationnal World Class competitions,
Fred Hoyeau and Julien Henry then reverted to the old FAI classes.

As many of us, I am not a competitor, so this would not be a good reason for
me, maybe I will try some day, but anyway using a club glider, so not in the
World Class.
Old November 20th 04, 07:59 PM
Paul Little

Of course here is the latest in FL sailplanes - not
even in production yet...

http://www.zhwin.ch/archaeopteryx/english.php

Old November 20th 04, 08:11 PM
Michel Talon

Eric Greenwell wrote:

To compete in the World Class competitions?

The point is that no more than 1/10 if not 1/100 members of
our clubs wants to compete. ****ing contests are not our most precious
asset, we old europeans ...

--

Michel TALON

Old November 21st 04, 02:07 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, "Slick" wrote:

...I'm amazed by the stall speed of 20 mph...

I would be too - if I believed it.

Bob K.
Old November 21st 04, 02:46 AM
Pete Reinhart

I believe it Bob,
All of the the gliders iIve ever flown as far as I can remember have been
fully stalled at 20 mph. Most have started somewhere between 40 and 50
though.
Cheers!

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
om...

Old November 21st 04, 02:49 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Good points.

Let me think back... there was a day when the 2-33 sufficiently
inspired me. And not long after when the 1-26 was as pretty and nimble
as you could want a glider to be. There were glass gliders on the
field, but they didn't diminish my interest in those gliders I had
access to.

Let's be clear about something... real pilots need to fly. When I
decided I wanted to fly the best, I changed my career goals and found
a way to afford it, rather than whining about a lack of acceptably
cheap, aesthetically pleasing, high performance sailplanes.

Whining about what I don't have seems to me an exercise in futility.
Even worse, whining about other people who are honestly trying to keep
others from whining... well, it's a sad thing, indeed. If you are a
real pilot, as opposed to someone who just likes to tell his friends
he's a pilot, you'll fly what you can afford and love it. Or you'll
find a way to affort your dreams. All the better if someone is
inspired to find you a better price/performance ratio. Who cares what
it looks like?
Old November 21st 04, 03:26 PM
Bob Korves

Earlier, "Slick" wrote:

...I'm amazed by the stall speed of 20 mph...

I would be too - if I believed it.

Bob K.

The numbers quoted by manufacturers for empty weight, stall speed, minimum
sink, and yes, especially L/D, are purely marketing numbers and mostly
fiction.

There are aircraft that if you used 1.3 VSO for approach calculated by the
advertised stall speed you would never make it to the runway!

Also note that the stall speeds given by the manufacturers are usually given
at the minimum possible (or impossible) mass. Then again, I weigh 85
kilos...

So, Bob, are you going to change this state of affairs with the HP-24, and
say so loudly, or continue to add the customary percentage? (-:

To paraphrase, "There are lies, damn lies, and specifications". Caveat
Emptor.
-Bob Korves

Old November 21st 04, 03:37 PM
Ian Johnston

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:41:19 UTC, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

: Where I object to these low performance gliders is that they fly in the face
: of a century of soaring progress. They seem to say, "since we can't compete
: with the fast guys, lets change the rules".
:
: If I am to joust with the forces of nature over hostile terrain, I want all
: the performance I can buy. Mother Nature just won't let you change her
: rules.

On the other hand, traditional soaring is dying all over the world
while hang/paragliding are booming.

Ian

North Island NZ glider pilots, farm/ranch stay advice pls Kizuno Soaring 1 September 22nd 04 01:37 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM