Motorgliders and TE Probes

Old November 23rd 04, 05:34 PM
Paul Remde

Default Motorgliders and TE Probes

Hi,

I have a question for motorglider owners. I sell variometers and TE probes
but I'm still learning. A customer is building a Europa motorglider and he
is wondering if he can mount a TE probe on the fin and connect it to the
variometer, or will the propwash cause problems. Is it necessary to use
some sort of pneumatic switch to switch between TE and static input for the
variometer?

His pitot and static ports are on a boom that is mounted to the wing.

Thank you,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old November 23rd 04, 05:38 PM
Stefan

Paul Remde wrote:

is wondering if he can mount a TE probe on the fin and connect it to the
variometer, or will the propwash cause problems.

The vario will not be too accurate in the propwash, but who needs an
accurate vario when the prop is turning?

Is it necessary to use
some sort of pneumatic switch to switch between TE and static input for the
variometer?

Not necessary, but recommended.

Stefan

Old November 23rd 04, 07:15 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I received a few very nice e-mails from reputable sources recommending the
use of a pneumatic switch to switch between TE and Static input for a
motorglider. That is good information. This newsgroup is fantastic!

It was suggested that the switch could be made to be automatic. That sounds
great. It is my understanding that even very small leaks can cause large
inaccuracies in TE functionality - so we must be careful about that of
course. Does anyone have any recommendations for manual or automatic
pneumatic switches? It would be great to get feedback from someone who has
done this already.

Old November 23rd 04, 07:19 PM
Steve Hill

I think most of the newer variometer systems can electronically calculate
total energy, without the need for any TE probe...I have tried this and
while I haven't met with great success in comparison to using an actual TE
probe on my DG-400, I would speculate that the Europa is not going to be
high enough performing to know the difference in the very minor differences
between a probe and what the vario system will electronically compensate. I
will say that when I tried the electronic setup in my DG, there was a gust
filter the previous owner had installed, which I didn't know about until
later...after removing that filter, my TE probe was much more accurate, but
my guess is that electronically I could have compensated the system fairly
accurately.

Steve.

Old November 23rd 04, 07:34 PM
Raphael Warshaw

Paul:

I got a nice manual pneumatic switch for use in my oxygen system from
Mountain High a few years ago. You might check with them.

Ray Warshaw

Old November 23rd 04, 07:48 PM
Eric Greenwell

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I have a question for motorglider owners. I sell variometers and TE probes
but I'm still learning. A customer is building a Europa motorglider and he
is wondering if he can mount a TE probe on the fin and connect it to the
variometer, or will the propwash cause problems.

The reading will bounce around, but usable except when trying to center
weak lift while under power.

Is it necessary to use
some sort of pneumatic switch to switch between TE and static input for the
variometer?

It would likely help.

His pitot and static ports are on a boom that is mounted to the wing.

Since he is building it, I suggest he consider a TE tube on the wing,
clear of the prop wash. That should be easy, since he is already doing
that with the pitot and static. Or, use a vario with electronic TE and
just use the pitot/static.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old November 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
Gary Evans

Miniature toggle routing valves are also available
through MSC Industrial Supply Co. mail order.

This is page 3950 of their on-line PDF catalog. Note
the routing valve at mid-page.

http://tinyurl.com/5hv9o

This is their web site.

http://tinyurl.com/629x5

At 20:30 23 November 2004, Tim Mara wrote:
Clippard Industries in Cincinnati Ohio makes several
types of Pneumatic
switches.....
these were commonly used years ago back when sailplane
pilots used to have
to make their own and a few variometer manufacturers
like Richard Ball made
alternative Pneumatic inputs for Netto's and Speed
to Fly variometers from
normal TE variometers
tim

Old November 23rd 04, 10:05 PM
Brian Case

My Guess on the Europa is that with the front mounted Propeller and
the rather High Vertical Tail, He could just mount it has High as
possible on the Vertical fin and have little problem with the TE Prob.
I suspect that most of the prop wash would miss the TE prob anyway.

Brian
Old November 23rd 04, 10:31 PM
John Giddy

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a question for motorglider owners. I sell variometers and TE

probes
but I'm still learning. A customer is building a Europa motorglider and

he
is wondering if he can mount a TE probe on the fin and connect it to the
variometer, or will the propwash cause problems. Is it necessary to use
some sort of pneumatic switch to switch between TE and static input for

the
variometer?

His pitot and static ports are on a boom that is mounted to the wing.

Thank you,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

I mounted a vertical TE Probe on the top of the fin on our SF25C FALKE
motorglider, connected to a dedicated vario (Borgelt B40). The
aircraft already had a Winter vario connected directly to the static
ports which acts more like a VSI.
The TE probe seems to work very well. The sensing holes near the tip
of the probe would be (from memory) about 10 inces above the top of
the fin.
Regarding switches to change from static to TE, many GA aircraft use
such switches to give an alternative static source for the instruments
in case the primary static ports become blocked. Maybe one of the
aircraft supply houses would have them.
Cheers, John G.
Old November 23rd 04, 10:49 PM
Tim Mara

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a question for motorglider owners. I sell variometers and TE

probes
but I'm still learning. A customer is building a Europa motorglider and

he
is wondering if he can mount a TE probe on the fin and connect it to the
variometer, or will the propwash cause problems. Is it necessary to use
some sort of pneumatic switch to switch between TE and static input for

the
variometer?

His pitot and static ports are on a boom that is mounted to the wing.

Thank you,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Lambada vs Sinus motorgliders Andre van Niekekerk Soaring 2 June 9th 04 11:28 AM
Motorgliders (long) JJ Sinclair Soaring 98 October 9th 03 10:11 PM
Motorgliders (long) M B Soaring 1 September 23rd 03 09:15 PM
Latest Newsletter Pipistrel Motorgliders Michael Coates Home Built 18 September 19th 03 01:25 AM
Latest Newsletter Pipistrel Motorgliders Michael Coates Soaring 20 September 19th 03 01:25 AM