IFR with a VFR GPS

Old November 15th 05, 01:49 PM
Ron Lee

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

There is no risk. Anyone that says there is a risk in the use of a handheld
GPS for IFR enroute navigation in US controlled airspace is not a real
safety expert with actual knowledge of aviation.

Steven, when then are handheld GPS units not allowed to be used for
IFR navigation?

You can do as you wish. Darwinism works well in aviation as in other
endeavors.

Ron Lee
Old November 15th 05, 02:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Lee" wrote in message

Steven, when then are handheld GPS units not allowed to be used for
IFR navigation?

There is no specific prohibition on them.

You can do as you wish. Darwinism works well in aviation as in other
endeavors.

That sounds like you do believe there is a risk in the use of a handheld GPS
for IFR enroute navigation in US controlled airspace. Please identify that
risk.

Old November 15th 05, 03:19 PM
Doug

I think the lack of certified mounting is what makes VFR GPS a backup
for flight in IMC, rather than a primary. Note that an IFR GPS includes
installation in it's design. They are installed to be part of the scan.
There may be VFR installations that are indeed in the scan and
convenient enough to use, but the typical VFR installation is lacking
in this department.

I have a King KLN90B in the panel and a Garmin 195 handheld. I do use
the Garmin when in the clouds, as a backup and for overall situational
awareness. In my case, my VFR Garmin is not nearly as good as my panel
mount King. Installation is the primary difference. There is also the
issue of training and just what you are supposed to do when. The King
manual has written procedures for flight in IMC/IFR environment, the
VFR unit does not.

Old November 15th 05, 03:30 PM
Jose

Cumulo Granite.
Explain.

If you require explanation, it would be useless.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 15th 05, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Have you ever read either TSO-c146a or TSO-c129? One of the requirements
specifies that the database in an IFR-certified box adhere to a higher
tolerance of corruptibility. Are you sure the VFR portable's database was
built to the same specifications? If not--higher risk.

I can go on and list each item-by-item but you seem to be literate so you
can read the TSOs at your leisure. Bottom line is as I stated in my previous
post that you don't personally believe the requirements outlined in these
documents reduce risk in any way, shape, or form.

If that's the case, I'm glad you don't help the FAA develop these standards.

Marco Leon

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

Old November 15th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..

If you require explanation, it would be useless.

You mean you're unable to explain.

Old November 15th 05, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message

Have you ever read either TSO-c146a or TSO-c129? One of the requirements
specifies that the database in an IFR-certified box adhere to a higher
tolerance of corruptibility. Are you sure the VFR portable's database was
built to the same specifications? If not--higher risk.

How so?

I can go on and list each item-by-item but you seem to be literate so you
can read the TSOs at your leisure. Bottom line is as I stated in my
previous
post that you don't personally believe the requirements outlined in these
documents reduce risk in any way, shape, or form.

If that's the case, I'm glad you don't help the FAA develop these
standards.

If you believe there is a higher risk I think you should be able to identify
that risk.

Old November 15th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

If you require explanation, it would be useless.
You mean you're unable to explain.

To you, I'm unable to explain.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 15th 05, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jose" wrote in message

To you, I'm unable to explain.

No, you're unable to explain at all.

Old November 15th 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jose wrote:

If you require explanation, it would be useless.

You mean you're unable to explain.

To you, I'm unable to explain.

LOL. You are holding a mirror to him and McNicoll is attacking his own
reflection like a junk yard dog.

Hilarious.

--
Peter