Your Chance to Design a Fly-In

Old November 13th 05, 12:16 AM
Bob Noel

Default Your Chance to Design a Fly-In

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
more than five seconds....

and that will on your website when....?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old November 13th 05, 12:41 AM
Jay Honeck

But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
more than five seconds....

and that will on your website when....?

Hey, I've got to *work* with these guys, ya know...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 13th 05, 02:22 AM
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
more than five seconds....

and that will on your website when....?

Hey, I've got to *work* with these guys, ya know...

I'm sure someone reading this thread could blur/fuzz out everyone
else but you. :-)

Old November 13th 05, 03:47 AM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
[snips]
Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.

This will be the second annual show,

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Lots and lots of chairs and benches. People love to sit.

Montblack

Old November 13th 05, 04:08 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm hoping we can get a bunch
of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?

Contact all war museums with flyable aircraft within about 600 miles; most of
the best birds displayed at flyins in this area come from museums in New York or
New England. Also call up the CAF; Iowa isn't that far from one of their main
bases. Many of their planes are privately owned, and some warbird owners are
happy to have an excuse to fly their plane to an exhibit. It helps a lot if you
can provide some gas at your end. Also talk around locally. There's bound to be
at least a T-6 or two not far away.

For flyovers, you might try the nearest Air National Guard, or go for broke --
contact the PR department of the USAF and ask if something impressive will be in
the air that day and might be able to divert a bit and fly over. Who knows?
Maybe they'll display a modern fighter if you let them set up a recruiting table.

Lastly (or maybe firstly) contact EAA and see if they can help. I expect they're
likely to want some bread, but maybe not.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old November 13th 05, 07:33 PM
Tim

"With this donation, the joy and wonder of flight will be passed on to
our youth, ensuring a place for them in the sky!"

That's funny, I thought kids or some people are naturally disposed to
the 'joy and wonder of flight...' You can't really 'pass it on' with a
museum in my opinion. Unless there are a lot of hands on things that
are somewhat dangerous most kids don't give a hoot.

I would bet an endowment for a bunch of 'first flight' fuel purchases
and Young eagle volunteers would be a better way to keep a steady stream
of kids interested in flight.

It seems to me that today the airports and planes are just not as
accessible as they once were - due to cost, perception of danger,
security concerns, etc. Anything we can do to make it easier for kids
to hang around an airport and watch planes would be a great thing. I am
not necessarily against static displays in museums, but kids usually
want to 'do' stuff.

Just my opinion.

Old November 14th 05, 01:49 AM
Jay Honeck

Lastly (or maybe firstly) contact EAA and see if they can help. I expect
they're likely to want some bread, but maybe not.

They are going to be doing one of the two pancake breakfasts, AND helping
with the design (and possible construction) of the aviation display at the
Children's Museum! We also expect that they will be doing a Young Eagles
day in conjunction with the show.

EAA is going to be an integral part of this show, for sure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 05, 01:56 AM
Jay Honeck

"With this donation, the joy and wonder of flight will be passed on to
our youth, ensuring a place for them in the sky!"

That's funny, I thought kids or some people are naturally disposed to
the 'joy and wonder of flight...' You can't really 'pass it on' with a
museum in my opinion. Unless there are a lot of hands on things that
are somewhat dangerous most kids don't give a hoot.

I think a flight simulator that looks like an airplane, with a stick and
throttle and moving control surfaces, ought to capture the imagination of
the kids, don't you?

I would bet an endowment for a bunch of 'first flight' fuel purchases
and Young eagle volunteers would be a better way to keep a steady stream
of kids interested in flight.

Ah, now you're jumping ahead a couple of years. This will be the second
annual show, and we hope it will (1) raise public awareness of the airport,
and (2) raise money for an great aviation-related charity.

In future years, we would like to fund a flight training scholarship(s) for
worthy youth, among other things! THEN we will really be helping GA, IMHO.

It seems to me that today the airports and planes are just not as
accessible as they once were - due to cost, perception of danger,
security concerns, etc. Anything we can do to make it easier for kids
to hang around an airport and watch planes would be a great thing. I am
not necessarily against static displays in museums, but kids usually
want to 'do' stuff.

The Childrens Museum is located at our local (quite large) shopping mall,
and it is literally mobbed with kids from age 2 - 12 every day. THIS is the
place to capture their imagination, IMHO.

If we catch 'em there, we'll clean 'em and fry 'em later on out at the
airfield!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 05, 04:03 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

EAA is going to be an integral part of this show, for sure.

Fine, but have you asked the national organization for advice on the matter of
getting a military flyby or visits from warbirds? They seem to be able to do it
pretty well, so maybe they can give you some tips.

Old November 14th 05, 04:34 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

EAA is going to be an integral part of this show, for sure.

How about seeing if anyone in the chapter has a partially built airplane
that they would be able to bring and display. Most people have no idea that
people can actually build an airplane that you can really fly in!
--
Jim in NC