GPS 396 audio terrain warnings

Old December 7th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default GPS 396 audio terrain warnings

Does anyone else have their Garmin 396 connected to the audio in their airplane?

If so, do you get terrain warnings every time you approach an airport to land?

I do, but Garmin doesn't seem to be very interested in helping. I've exchanged
several emails with their tech support. They don't acknowledge that there is
anything wrong.

They say they have "some algorithms" to prevent the audio terrain alert when
approaching an airport to land. They say they might not work correctly for all
airports. My experience is that they don't work for any airport I have visited.

If anyone else is seeing this behavior, please contact Garmin so that they will
know I'm not the only one.

Thanks.
Old December 7th 05, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

That's never happened to me. I've had the audio connected (listening to
music) and I did have it on during a landing or two. Will try it out
some more.

The prob I've had with the audio is a loud buzz unless I unplug the
power and run on battery.

Of course, my unit has had problems - sent it in twice. Finally got a
new box.

Old December 7th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Maule Driver wrote:
That's never happened to me. I've had the audio connected (listening to
music) and I did have it on during a landing or two. Will try it out
some more.

Thanks, MD. I'd appreciate knowing what you find out. You get the "500" callout
at 500 AGL, right? After that, I get a cacaphony of "Terrain, terrain, pull up,
pull up!".

The prob I've had with the audio is a loud buzz unless I unplug the
power and run on battery.

I don't have that symptom. Sparkchasers put a molex connector right underneath
the yoke so I can connect to ship's power and tie into the audio panel. I'm not
trying to listen to music, though.

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367

Old December 8th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article 1133984655.396756@sj-nntpcache-3, Dave Butler
wrote:
I do, but Garmin doesn't seem to be very interested in helping. I've
exchanged
several emails with their tech support. They don't acknowledge that there is
anything wrong.

I have noticed this problem at airports with higher terrain at the
approach/departure end of the runway. My home airport is one such
airport.

I think there was discussion on the Beech list a while ago about this
issue. I believe that Garmin informed someone on the list that the 396
filters terrain alerts within 2nm of the airport, and that MAY be the
case relative to the center of the field, but I know that it certainly
isn't relative to the runway threshold. Someone then mentioned that
Garmin stated that an increase to 4nm was planned for a future update.
However, that increase doesn't appear to be present in the current code
(v2.70).

JKG

Old December 8th 05, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The terrain warnings after the 500 foot alert "pull up, pull up!" are a
distraction. To be turning the volume down or putting the terrain
volume in mute is not what the pilot needs to be doing the last 500
feet of the landing. Howerver, this is truly a great GPS/weather
system. I hope that Garmin will delete these alerts below 500 feet
agl when landing at the destination airport with a software upgrade. I
had to send my 396 in due to intermitten XM radio audio distortion.
Garmin fixed the unit with a quick turn around. The problem with the
audio buzz does not exist on my 396. Audio is very clear. Buzz sound
may be an electrical ground problem or due to an alternator that has a
bad diode.

Larry Jones

Old December 8th 05, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Terrian warnings need to stop below 500 feet when landing at the
destination airport. Last 500 feet does not need to be a distraction
to pilot. It is not a good time to be lowering the volume or setting
to mute. This is my only complant.

The 396 is a great GPS/weather system. Display is much better than
296. XM audio sounds great too.