HPH Twin Shark

Old October 6th 18, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HPH Twin Shark

Hello,
Tough one, ASG 32 or HPH Twin Shark.
HPH delivery and price is more appealing but did anyone had pleasure to fly one?
Old October 6th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Filling out the discusssion to consider other options, the Duo Discus XL is the best bang for the buck in the 20 M class, unless you are looking for a self-launch.

Duo Discus has about a 1 year delivery time and Arcus about 18 months.
Old October 6th 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 5:59:42 PM UTC+1, Dave Springford wrote:
Filling out the discusssion to consider other options, the Duo Discus XL is the best bang for the buck in the 20 M class, unless you are looking for a self-launch.

Duo Discus has about a 1 year delivery time and Arcus about 18 months.

Self-launch is a must.
Old October 6th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

HPH claims empty mass of 500kg for the self-launcher, which is ~80kg less compared to the 32.
Old October 7th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

So why isn't an Arcus M in the frame?
Old October 7th 18, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Gill

At 02:09 07 October 2018, waremark wrote:
So why isn't an Arcus M in the frame?

Arcus is much nicer to fly than the 32. However, the Arcus has a
tendancy to 'bob' its nose down upon applying throttle, it has a
skid/nose wheel, but its much nicer to have the tail on the ground.
32 engine is a bit more complex to operate (and different engine to the
arcus/twin shark).
I've not flown the shark (one coming to my place next year, so I'll find
out then!)

I operate a DG1001M and it is much better as a self launching glider
than the Arcus/32. It doesn't handle/go as well as the arcus though.

Chris

Old October 8th 18, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Re Chris Gill saying the Arcus bobs forward onto the nose wheel when applying throttle at the start of the ground run. Yes it can and it is an issue, but it doesn't happen on a smooth surface, and generally not if suitable tail ballast is carried. And even if it does bob forward onto the nose wheel that is not a big problem. So while it is an issue I would consider it quite minor. Another minor issue is that the Arcus has a smaller fuselage fuel tank at only 14 litres (3.5 US gals) so I use the wing bags more often than I would with a larger fuse tank - which is a fiddle.
Old October 8th 18, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 9:15:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello,
Tough one, ASG 32 or HPH Twin Shark.
HPH delivery and price is more appealing but did anyone had pleasure to fly one?

Yes! I flew the Twin shark this summer in Kutna Hora, CZ! All I can say is that it is like flying a Rolls Royce! Shear elegance, totally smooth controls. It was a dream to fly! I would definitely wait for the Twin Shark!!
Old October 9th 18, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 11:15:40 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, October 6, 2018 at 9:15:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello,
Tough one, ASG 32 or HPH Twin Shark.
HPH delivery and price is more appealing but did anyone had pleasure to fly one?

Yes! I flew the Twin shark this summer in Kutna Hora, CZ! All I can say is that it is like flying a Rolls Royce! Shear elegance, totally smooth controls. It was a dream to fly! I would definitely wait for the Twin Shark!!

That's what I wanted to hear, someone who actually flew that glider. The first few were sent to Africa and it will be next year before we will have one in the UK.