Disc brakes sticking

Old December 24th 05, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Disc brakes sticking

My brakes have been dragging ever since I got our Cessna 210 back from annual last month. They had replaced
the pads and repacked the bearings. At first I thought it was just because of the new pads, and it should
"wear in" after a few takeoffs/landings/taxis. But last night I jacked up each and noted that it is still
dragging significantly -- taks two hands to even turn the wheel, and very difficult to pull out of the hangar.

What would cause the brakes to not release adequately? Any suggestions on diagnosing it further? Eventually I
will take it up with my mechanic, but he is in a different city and very busy, etc, etc. The brakes are easy
to get to since there are no wheel pants. BTW they are Mccauley wheels and brakes.

Also, who was it that posted a link to a great photo essay of replacing tubes and/or tires and/or brakes? I
think it was posted here within the last year, but my googling has not been successful...

--
Thanks!
John Clonts

Old December 24th 05, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Did your mechanic do anything to the brakes besides replace the pads? The
inside of the caliper cylinder walls may need honed.

"John Clonts" wrote in message
My brakes have been dragging ever since I got our Cessna 210 back from

annual last month. They had replaced
the pads and repacked the bearings.

snip
Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old December 24th 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 12/24/2005 9:57 AM, John Clonts wrote:

[...]

Are the pads too thick (perhaps the wrong ones?)

Does the parking break actuate the wheel cylinders? Could there be
a problem there?

Sacramento, CA
Old December 24th 05, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:57:43 GMT, "John Clonts"
wrote:

My brakes have been dragging ever since I got our Cessna 210 back from annual last month. They had replaced
the pads and repacked the bearings. At first I thought it was just because of the new pads, and it should
"wear in" after a few takeoffs/landings/taxis. But last night I jacked up each and noted that it is still
dragging significantly -- taks two hands to even turn the wheel, and very difficult to pull out of the hangar.

What would cause the brakes to not release adequately? Any suggestions on diagnosing it further? Eventually I
will take it up with my mechanic, but he is in a different city and very busy, etc, etc. The brakes are easy
to get to since there are no wheel pants. BTW they are Mccauley wheels and brakes.

I had a problem like that develop on my Warrior. One brake started
dragging. I noticed that the floating brake pad, the one with the
holes that slide over the caliper pins, was binding. I convinced the
A&P to take a look and suggested that the holes could be reamed to
relieve the interference. He reamed the holes slightly and that solved
the problem. That pad may bind if it's at a slight angle to the pins.

RK Henry

Old December 25th 05, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

As others have stated, check the wheel bearing first. Failing that,
check to see if the caliper mounting pins are free. Work the caliper
back and forth to see if you can get the piston to retract a bit. If
not, it may be that the piston is stuck. Remove the caliper and use a
large c-clamp to push the piston back in a little. If it won't go, you
probably have a stuck piston. You will need to disassemble and
clean/reseal. If the piston goes back in easily but the caliper
pins/hardware are binding, you will need to clean that out.

Good Luck,
Mike
My brakes have been dragging ever since I got our Cessna 210 back from annual last month.

Old December 26th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"John Clonts" wrote in message ...
My brakes have been dragging ever since I got our Cessna 210 back from annual last month. They had replaced
the pads and repacked the bearings. At first I thought it was just because of the new pads, and it should

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bled a little fluid as I pushed back the piston to create some "slack".
Then I rapped on the housing to confirm that both pads were able to float free. The wheels turned freely.
After re-applying the brakes they still don't spin quite freely, but it does seem to be a lot easier to turn
them than it was before.

Gorgeous day here 70 degrees and CAVU. Had to fly this afternoon, and am taking the family for viewing lights
this evening!

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old December 28th 05, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 23:30:44 GMT, "John Clonts"
wrote:

"John Clonts" wrote in message ...
My brakes have been dragging ever since I got our Cessna 210 back from annual last month. They had replaced
the pads and repacked the bearings. At first I thought it was just because of the new pads, and it should

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bled a little fluid as I pushed back the piston to create some "slack".
Then I rapped on the housing to confirm that both pads were able to float free. The wheels turned freely.
After re-applying the brakes they still don't spin quite freely, but it does seem to be a lot easier to turn
them than it was before.

Gorgeous day here 70 degrees and CAVU. Had to fly this afternoon, and am taking the family for viewing lights
this evening!

Somebody already mentioned a problem with his Warior. We too have had
a similar problem which appears to be corrosion caused by runway
de-icing fluid. - So how much ice do you get in Texas????

Old December 28th 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Have you tried changing the brake fluid in the line. As in drain the
whole thing out. The reason I mention this in my plane the fluid started
to turn to jelly and actually had to be pumped out.

It all started so innocently too. Decreased brake sensitivity, worse in
cold weather. Braking required more and more force. Until it was worse
and I forced them to look further. Everybody concerned was surprised.
Perhaps this is going on with your plane, made noticable with new pads.
Some airplanes require a fluid change every five years.

John