RST Audio Panel Legality

Old January 15th 05, 01:43 PM
Matt Whiting

Dale Alexander wrote:
"RST Engineering" wrote in message

He made the cardinal mistake when dealing with the FAA...he told the

truth.

Jim

Careful Jim, that'll come back and haunt you the next time you run for
Governor...

Isn't that Governator in CA? :-)

Matt

Old January 15th 05, 04:50 PM
Ron Natalie

RST Engineering wrote:

Reading that sentence, can you POSSIBLY construe "owner built part" from the
process? He PAID somebody to do the work that the owner was supposed to do
himself. We are VERY CLEAR that the owner of the aircraft must do the
assembly or the part cannot be legally installed on a certificated airplane.

Not so fast Jim. I can't say based on the limitted info presented by the
original poster, but your statement isn't true on face value. The FAA
doesn't require the parts under the owner-produced rule to actually be
constructed by the hand of the owner. If I need a part made, I can go
write up a list of specifications, go to a machine shop, have it made up
to those specifications, inspect it to verify that the work has been done
properly, and then have it installed. This isn't a rule like the amateur
built where the part has to be done for the education of the builder.

However, this only covers the production of the part. Just because you
build the part yourself, doesn't mean that you are free to install it in
your plane any more than if you bought it from a FAA-approved manufacturer.
The authority to produce the part, and the authority to have it installed
are seperate.
Old January 15th 05, 05:12 PM
RST Engineering

Not so fast, Ron. I agree with your statement that YOU can write up a list
of specifications, do any drawings necessary, and go to a machine shop to
actually fabricate the part.

This is a horse of a different cruller. He took MY parts and MY drawings,
and simply handed them off to another person to fabricate. In my opinion
(and my opinion only) this is one step removed from your scenario. In this
case, the owner was simply taking a design in with his left hand and
transferring it to the fabrication shop with his right hand. I'd argue that
the spirit, if not the law, of 21.303(b)(2) was violated.

Jim

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Old January 16th 05, 10:39 PM
Dave

Hi all
Produced means produced, not built.
I think that he satisfies the requirement with step #2.

Heres a list of five things that qualifies the owner to have produced
the part. Only one of these needs to apply.
(BTW, I didn't come up with these these came from an FAA website)

1. provide the manufacturer with the design or performance data from
which to make the part, or

2. provide the manufacturer with the materials to make the part, or

3. provide the manufacturer with fabrication processes or assembly
methods to make the part, or

4. provide the quality control procedures to make the part, or

5. personally supervised the manufacturer of the part.

Ripped from:
http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/news/arch...gust/IvsWe.htm

Hope this helps

Dave