Capt. Al Haynes sorta OT.

Old December 30th 03, 10:45 PM
James Blakely

Default Capt. Al Haynes sorta OT.

I know everyone hear remember Capt. Haynes. Capt. Haynes was the pilot of
United flight 232 when the center engine suffered an uncontained failure
and the DC-10 lost all of its hydraulic systems. Capt. Haynes landed the
ship at Sioux City using differential power. His handling of the emergency
is considered an example on how to manage cockpit resources.

However, do you know the family tragedies he has had to face since then?
His wife passed away in 1999 and his son died in 1997. Now it his daughter
who needs help. Laurie Haynes Arguello has been diagnosed with aplastic
anemia. The only treatment is a bone marrow transplant. A donor has been
located but the cost of the transplant and follow-up treatment is over
$250,000.

Capt. Haynes is trying to raise the money for the treatment. So far, he has
raised about $30,000.

If you wish to make a donation to Laurie's treatment, please click:
http://www.transplants.org/

According to the site, the donations are tax-deductible but you should check
with your tax advisor.

NOTE: I am not representing Capt. Haynes, Ms. Arguello, nor the National
Foundation for Transplants. I read this story in the paper and decided to
make a donation. I just thought that as pilots, you may be interested as
well. Go ahead and flame me if you want.

Old December 30th 03, 10:59 PM
James Blakely

"James Blakely" wrote in
message ...
I know everyone hear remember Capt. Haynes. Capt. Haynes was the pilot of

Of course, the above sentense should read: "I know everyon here remembers
Capt. Haynes."

Please excuse the typo.

Old December 30th 03, 11:12 PM
Martin Hotze

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:45:09 GMT, "James Blakely"
wrote:

A donor has been
located but the cost of the transplant and follow-up treatment is over
$250,000.

aaah. the US welfare system at work :-)
The above amount equals what? 2 bombs in Iraq?

SCNR,

#m

f-up2poster
--
harsh regulations in North Korea (read below link after reading the story):
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/04/open-mikulan.php
Old December 30th 03, 11:32 PM
Bill

A donor has been
located but the cost of the transplant and follow-up treatment is over
$250,000.

aaah. the US welfare system at work :-)
The above amount equals what? 2 bombs in Iraq?

Maybe, depends on what kind of bombs. In any case, its money well spent.

Old December 31st 03, 12:54 AM
Mike Spera

Flame you? Nope. Made a donation. This guy has been through hell enough
times. Maybe United should chip in $100k or so. Capt. Haynes and the
cockpit team probably saved the airline $100 million in additional
lawsuits (over 100 pax lived through the crash).

Any United employees on line? Please pass this request on.
Thanks,
Mike

James Blakely wrote:
[...]

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old December 31st 03, 03:08 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:
A donor has been
located but the cost of the transplant and follow-up treatment is over
$250,000.

aaah. the US welfare system at work :-)
The above amount equals what? 2 bombs in Iraq?

Charity and welfare are not the same. I'm sure what you meant to say is
that's how the US welfare system SHOULD work... people helping people,
as opposed to the government stealing from one group of people to give
to another, with no accountability from the recipients.

JKG
Old December 31st 03, 09:24 AM
Martin Hotze

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:08:15 GMT, Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Charity and welfare are not the same. I'm sure what you meant to say is

charity?
this is begging. nothing else.
(maybe a little whining; but I understand it as it is his relative having
cancer and the government better spends his [your!] tax dollars on bombing
foreign countries and establishing TFRs all over your own country)

#m

once again f-up2poster (!!!)
Old December 31st 03, 02:39 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:
Charity and welfare are not the same. I'm sure what you meant to say is

charity?
this is begging. nothing else.
(maybe a little whining; but I understand it as it is his relative having
cancer and the government better spends his [your!] tax dollars on bombing
foreign countries and establishing TFRs all over your own country)

I don't see any begging in the original post. All the poster did was
inform everyone that Capt. Haynes' daughter needs help.

One of the characteristics that makes the United States so great is that
people are willing to help other people in need, and not just other
Americans, but people from all over the world. As you demonstrate,
though, our generousity is often not appreciated by those from other
countries.

JKG
Old December 31st 03, 02:44 PM
Martin Hotze

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:39:13 GMT, Jonathan Goodish wrote:

[take it from the not so rich and make the rich even richer]
As you demonstrate,
though, our generousity is often not appreciated by those from other
countries.

Yes, your generous bombs are not appreciated.

#m

AND NOW HONOR THE FOLLOW UP 2 POSTER!
Old December 31st 03, 04:15 PM
Marco Leon