Don't skip that runup!

Old July 5th 04, 12:50 PM
Roger Long

Default Don't skip that runup!

I picked took over our 172N from another club member who I know to be one of
our most conscientious pilots who follows all leaning and other
recommendations carefully. This plane almost never has rough mags and I
watched as he went through the plug clearing shut down procedure. He told me
the engine was running beautifully.
We fueled the plane and I taxied about 100 yards to the run up area leaned
to the max for ground operations. On run up, I had 220 RPM drop on the left
mag and the engine was so rough the plane bounced on the gear. I cleared it
but it took a lot of hard running.

A plug can foul that fast. It isn't something that always builds up slowly.
Don't skip that run up and always do it as close to the takeoff point as the
taxiway layout permits.

--
Roger Long

Old July 6th 04, 09:08 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:50:50 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I picked took over our 172N from another club member who I know to be one of
our most conscientious pilots who follows all leaning and other
recommendations carefully. This plane almost never has rough mags and I
watched as he went through the plug clearing shut down procedure. He told me
the engine was running beautifully.
We fueled the plane and I taxied about 100 yards to the run up area leaned
to the max for ground operations. On run up, I had 220 RPM drop on the left
mag and the engine was so rough the plane bounced on the gear. I cleared it
but it took a lot of hard running.

A plug can foul that fast. It isn't something that always builds up slowly.
Don't skip that run up and always do it as close to the takeoff point as the
taxiway layout permits.

Twice while I was flying the Cherokee 180 I had a very rough mag
check. Both times I parked it and found the creamic near the tip had
broken off and dropped into the gap.

I do a run up even If I only was on the ground long enough to go to
the can.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old July 6th 04, 04:13 PM
Jim Fisher

"Roger Long" wrote in message
A plug can foul that fast. It isn't something that always builds up

slowly.
Don't skip that run up and always do it as close to the takeoff point as

the
taxiway layout permits.

I flew back from the beach with the family a couple of years ago. The two
hour flight was uneventful and I parked the plane in the hangar for the
night.

The next morning, I went to fly again and had similar symptoms as you did
except I couldn't clear the plugs. Had to replace the left mag.

So, either the mag failed during my flight back from the beach and I didn't
notice or it failed during the last crank . . . Or perhaps gremlins sneaked
in the hangar overnight. It was a little unnerving to think it might have
failed during flight and I didn't notice.

So, yeah, just 'cause you had no run-up problems during the previous flight
doesn't mean you won't have them on the next.

--
Jim Fisher

Old July 7th 04, 12:44 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message ...
So, either the mag failed during my flight back from the beach and I didn't
notice or it failed during the last crank . . . Or perhaps gremlins sneaked
in the hangar overnight. It was a little unnerving to think it might have
failed during flight and I didn't notice.

So, yeah, just 'cause you had no run-up problems during the previous flight
doesn't mean you won't have them on the next.

I just had a Cherokee fail a runup a couple weeks ago with a student.
I showed him how to clear the plugs but the mag was clearly dead. My
concern was that he was going to switch back to the other mag before
pulling the throttle down. If you get next to nothing on a mag during
runup, don't switch back to the good mag or you may blow out your
exhaust. Let the engine die or pull the power back to idle before you
switch back to a working mag.

-Robert
Old July 7th 04, 03:34 AM
Teacherjh

If you get next to nothing on a mag during
runup, don't switch back to the good mag or you may blow out your
exhaust. Let the engine die or pull the power back to idle before you
switch back to a working mag.

Why? How? What about switching to "both"?

Jose

Old July 7th 04, 04:34 AM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

If you get next to nothing on a mag during
runup, don't switch back to the good mag or you may blow out your
exhaust. Let the engine die or pull the power back to idle before you
switch back to a working mag.

Why? How? What about switching to "both"?

Switching to "both" would constitute switching back to a good mag.

As for the reason, it's because without either mag operating (one shorted
out on purpose, the other dead), a bunch of unburned fuel can accumulate
very quickly. Restart the fire by switching the good mag back on, and you
could wind up with a big fireball or exhaust fire.

That said, even having heard that advice before, the time that I found a
dead mag on a run-up, I completely forgot the advice and flipped the mag
switch back to both. It was a straight-forward reflex: if you don't like
what happened when you do something, restore back to the previous
configuration.

Fortunately, nothing bad happened.

Pete

Old July 7th 04, 03:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Why? How? What about switching to "both"?

Switching to "both" would constitute switching back to a good mag.

As for the reason, it's because without either mag operating (one shorted
out on purpose, the other dead), a bunch of unburned fuel can accumulate
very quickly. Restart the fire by switching the good mag back on, and you
could wind up with a big fireball or exhaust fire.

Good stuff -- I learned something vital here today. Gotta store that one in
the old brain bank.

Thanks, guys.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 7th 04, 07:29 PM
Dan Luke

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
If you get next to nothing on a mag during runup,
don't switch back to the good mag or you may blow
out your exhaust. Let the engine die or pull the
power back to idle before you
switch back to a working mag.

Thanks, Robert; I never thought about that. I hope I have enough on the
ball to remember stay on the bad mag if it ever happens to me.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 8th 04, 07:04 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
If you get next to nothing on a mag during
runup, don't switch back to the good mag or you may blow out your
exhaust. Let the engine die or pull the power back to idle before you
switch back to a working mag.

That's how "youths" make cars backfire. Switch off the ignition then
turn it on again after a short while. Makes a big bang.

Paul