IFR to Charlotte in a Mooney

Old January 5th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR to Charlotte in a Mooney

Anyone flown IFR into CLT in a piston single? I've got a commercial
flight leaving CLT next month. I'd be flying in around 4pm on
weekday.

Thanks!
Chris
Old January 6th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

John, et. al.

Thanks to all for the great info!

I know what you mean about landing on 23 and turning before the
intersection. I was lucky enough to get into DCA before it was
shutdown to GA. I was given ILS36 circle 3 and made the turnoff
before the intersection - even after tower asked "minimum time thru
interesection". I was somewhat disappointed I did not get an "atta
boy" on that one, but I was also in 172 then, so maybe it was
expected.

I also talked to my departure controller today (CAE). They have a LOA
with CLT - Single pistons can go IFR direct below 7K, rather than
being assigned the UNARM arrival - waaaay out to the west before back
in.

Getting all the info before going is important - not many people
probably know about the LOA's between sectors/airspace. The only way
I know of finding out about those is to ask the local controller, i.e.
no web site or info in the AF/D.

Again, thanks for the local tricks - intersection departures/slow
times, etc. My main concern in getting in to make my commercial
connection, I really don't mind the wait going out.

Any idea what the FBO charges for ramp space? I know there is a $15
landing fee waived with 10 gal purchase.

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:07:27 -0500, "John Collins"
wrote:

Chris,

Arrive and depart during the slow times. The current slow times can be
found at http://www.cltatct.jccbi.gov/Slowtimes.htm Fuel can be expected to
be expensive. Your taxi time is much reduced if you can land on 36R/18L. If
you are arriving VFR, fly to the east of the extended centerline of the
north/south runways before you contact approach control and well before you
enter the Class B. This will give you the greatest chance of getting a
runway on the FBO side.

On 36R, the turnoff to the FBO is more than 3000 ft from the threshold and
is angled, though not quite a high speed. Try to get off at this exit, the
second one on the right. Don't get off at the first exit to the right, as
departing GA traffic use this for an intersection departure.

On 18L, you might want to request landing long and plan to touch down about
a 1000 ft beyond the crossing runway. The FBO is on the left past the
National Guard ramp.

If you have good short field performance and are assigned 23, there is
approximately 1100 feet from the threshold to the first taxiway to the left
(taxiway D) and it is angled although not a high speed. Right after this
taxiway you cross 18 L and may have an extended taxi to the ramp as you must
cross the active runway. In my Bonanza I only need about 700 feet of ground
roll to get stopped with no wind, so I like to turn off at taxiway D when
landing on 23. This usually amazes the tower, but the taxiway is straight
to the FBO without crossing any runways. The taxiways are wide and often
ground control will have two GA types pass each other with both given
instructions to remain to the right.

Remember to use the correct ATIS for arrival and departure. When you call
for your departure clearance, just read back your transponder code unless
you have a question. I prefer to do my run-up prior to calling for taxi, I
hold short of Taxiway D on the Wilson ramp.

If you are departing during a push, do not accept an intersection departure,
only use full length. Once you are in line, your TO position is first come
first serve. Keep back 200 to 300 feet behind the jet in front of you so
you won't get blown off the taxiway. You can wait for ever during a push at
an intersection. If traffic is light, accept the intersection departure.
If you are full length, you can depart sooner if you waive the wake
turbulence delay, but only do this if there have just been departures in
front of you and no heavies in front such as a 767 or 757. Just plan to
liftoff within the first 1500 ft of runway, well before the point the jet
aircraft are rotating.

Expect to be asked to keep up your speed on approach and final and be
situationally aware of traffic behind you. Plan to spend the minimum time
on the runway you can. It helps if on final that you visually identify your
touchdown point and which taxiway you plan on exiting the runway. You make
no friends if you cause a go around.

If it is IFR, I like to fly about a half a dot of fly down on the HSI to
avoid wake turbulence. I am ok following a jet on final, but just plan on
remaining at or above his flight path and touch down well past where he
touches down. I won't accept a landing if I am closely following an
arriving jet and the tower advises of a departing jet before my arrival,
I'll just call going around and ask for a vector. So far, the tower has
always asked for the reason, I tell them I can't avoid wake turbulence
behind a arriving jet and departing jet. In the few times this has happened
to me, the tower has instructed the departing jet to hold short. My other
wake turbulence avoidance no-no is allowing a vector to place my path under
an arriving jet. I will say unable, wake turbulence avoidance.

Old January 6th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 17:50:57 -0500, am wrote:

John, et. al.

Thanks to all for the great info!

Don't forget to do your part, and report back!
Old January 8th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Bill Watson wrote:
How do you waive the wake turbulence delay? Not sure how that works.
I'm very STOL and can usually avoid it easily.

All you have to do is tell them that you waive wake turbulence separation.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 9th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Jan 7, 8:55*pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:
Bill Watson wrote:
How do you waive the wake turbulence delay? *Not sure how that works.
I'm very STOL and can usually avoid it easily.

All you have to do is tell them that you waive wake turbulence separation.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Be careful about waiving wake turbulence delays at an airport like
this. There are some fine people that should still be with us but are
now six feet under because of this. Saving a few minutes is not worth
rolling upside down and dying in a fiery crash. Have you seen the
videos of visible wake vortices and how long they can persist?
Getting off early before the airliner's rotation point is one thing,
but unless you can outclimb it, you're still going to have to go
through the wake at some point if it hasn't dissipated. If you hit a
bad wake at 200-300 feet it's not much better than hitting it twenty
feet off the deck -- your odds of survival are not good. The, "rotate
quick before the point where they did" plan only works if you can then
make an immediate upwind turn to get out of the flight path.
Operationally you can't always do this.

Watch out for wake from departures on a close parallel too. I got hit
by an F-16's wake as I departed 4L at SSC right after it took off on
4R and it rolled me 60 degrees in about an 1/8 of a second.

Old January 10th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

wrote:
Be careful about waiving wake turbulence delays at an airport like

this. There are some fine people that should still be with us but are
now six feet under because of this. Saving a few minutes is not worth
rolling upside down and dying in a fiery crash. Have you seen the
videos of visible wake vortices and how long they can persist?
Getting off early before the airliner's rotation point is one thing,
but unless you can outclimb it, you're still going to have to go
through the wake at some point if it hasn't dissipated.

Not necessarily. I waived wake turbulence on an almost daily basis back when I
was flying cancelled checks. Wake turbulence forms from the point of takeoff
and goes down and away from the heavier aircraft. It also drifts with the wind,
just as an aircraft will. So how did I waive and avoid with such great success?

I popped off the ground way before the airliner did and turned away anywhere
from 45 to 90 degrees from the runway heading as soon as my gear was up,
depending on my clearance. In other words, I outran it.

I flew the same route every day. I already had my clearance given to me by
Clearance Delivery and it most defintely did not include anything like "hold
runway heading until at 1100 feet".... something that would put in the danger
zone.

If you hit a
bad wake at 200-300 feet it's not much better than hitting it twenty
feet off the deck -- your odds of survival are not good. The, "rotate
quick before the point where they did" plan only works if you can then
make an immediate upwind turn to get out of the flight path.
Operationally you can't always do this.

You'll know after talking with Clearance Delivery. You'd make the request to
waive later to the tower... if it were appropriate. I'm not suggesting it
always would. I'm just saying it often is.

Watch out for wake from departures on a close parallel too. I got hit
by an F-16's wake as I departed 4L at SSC right after it took off on
4R and it rolled me 60 degrees in about an 1/8 of a second.

Heh.... I once got a healthy scare at altitude following a C-47 a good mile
ahead of me. I can't say with absolute confidence that it was the guilty party
but it was the only exciting rolling turbulence I hit in a 200 mile leg. I was
in a Cherokee Six out over the water coming back from the Bahamas in excellent
VFR weather in the cool of the early morning.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com