AOPA gliding video

Old November 6th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

Default AOPA gliding video

New AOPA Pilot magazine video
Go to:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...ss_flight.html

Tom
Old November 7th 11, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stephanevdv

Nice.

Just one remark: in this video, everybody seems to be wearing a
baseball cap while flying. I wonder why.

In Belgium where I live, the safety commitee of the Flemish soaring
federation deems this type of cap unfit for glider flying. The same is
true in most of the surrounding countries.

Arguments against baseball caps:
- the large visor (peak) is blocking out part of the visibility,
unless very carefully positioned;
- the brim often collides with the canopy, hampering visibility and/or
head rotation, especially for tall people;
- ears and neck are left without protection against sun rays;
- the knob on the summit of the cap can damage the canopy in
turbulence.

That's why most European glider pilots wear a bucket hat. Not really
trendy, but safe (does not hamper look out) and efficient (protects
face, ears and neck)...

Old November 7th 11, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

I agree. I was recently involved in an internet debate with some power
pilots in the UK, who regard our “beanie” (Bucket?) hats as stupid. I
explained how functional they are and that baseball caps are not
permitted unless worn backwards when flying, which some of them then
took as being snobbish!

I remarked that they presumably don’t bother with any upwards
lookout.

Chris N.
Old November 7th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Nov 7, 3:48*am, stephanevdv wrote:
[...]

Same in the US, nobody in their right mind wears a baseball cap in a
glider - and for the same reasons you are listing.
Old November 7th 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Nov 7, 7:41*am, Chris Nicholas wrote:
I agree. I was recently involved in an internet debate with some power
pilots in the UK, who regard our “beanie” (Bucket?) hats as stupid. I
explained how functional they are and that baseball caps are not
permitted unless worn backwards when flying, which some of them then
took as being snobbish!

I remarked that they presumably don’t bother with any upwards
lookout.

Chris N.

There are a number of "knobless" baseball caps out there, including (I
think) the AOPA one seen in the video. I flew with one of these once
when I left my bucket hat at home and the biggest problem (as noted)
was forward and upward visibility. I ended up turning it backwards.

What I want is a bucket hat with padding - my bald head keeps whacking
the canopy in rough thermals!

Mike
Old November 7th 11, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 11/7/2011 1:06 PM, Mike the Strike wrote:

There are a number of "knobless" baseball caps out there, including (I
think) the AOPA one seen in the video.

The 'knob' on a baseball cap is easily removed using common tools. The
lack of upward visibility is the main reason that I don't wear them. I'm
thinking of a new book about glider pilots. The working title is either
"We Who Wear Funny Hats" or Guido's Glider Guider Guide". :-)

Tony
Old November 9th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 6, 10:34*am, Tom wrote:
New AOPA Pilot magazine video
Go to:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...hallenges_powe...

Tom

Good Job Tom
And I don't care about the hats.
Maybe if people didn't think they needed to wear dopey looking hats we
would get more pilots.- LOL
We need all the positive exposure we can get.
UH
Old November 9th 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bravovictor

Agreed. The AOPA has had several nice glider articles recently. They
also are the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to airspace and regulatory
issues that impact the glider world as well as general aviation
overall. It is an organization worthy of our support.