IFR with a VFR GPS

Old November 11th 05, 01:25 AM
Ron Lee

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

"Stan Prevost" wrote:

That seems to be an overly broad statement. I have put "VFR GPS" in Remarks
when filing /U for an off-airways (random) route and had controllers
specifically refer to using my VFR GPS to proceed direct to an intersection.
Whether they should have done so is another issue. But is sure seemed to
make a difference.

Your non-IFR GPS has intersections in it? What model is it?

Ron Lee

Old November 11th 05, 02:46 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Ron Lee wrote:
"Peter R." wrote:
Ron Lee wrote:
You should note that if you lose lock (too few satellites) then your
display will start flashing (or portions of it). That is not RAIM
which determines if you have a signal error.

Just to clarify, are you saying that a *VFR* GPS's screen flashes when the
GPS loses the required number of satellites for position calculation and
that error is not a result of built-in RAIM?

Portions do such as position. Take your favorite handheld and look
at various displays. Note that some will flash until you get a solid
GPS lock.

my handheld keeps updating and displaying as though I kept going
straight ahead at the same exact speed and course as when it
lost the lock. So there is NO warning at all.

Gerald

Old November 11th 05, 04:05 AM
John Theune

Gerald Sylvester wrote:

Ron Lee wrote:

"Peter R." wrote:

Ron Lee wrote:

You should note that if you lose lock (too few satellites) then your
display will start flashing (or portions of it). That is not RAIM
which determines if you have a signal error.

Just to clarify, are you saying that a *VFR* GPS's screen flashes
when the
GPS loses the required number of satellites for position calculation and
that error is not a result of built-in RAIM?

Portions do such as position. Take your favorite handheld and look
at various displays. Note that some will flash until you get a solid
GPS lock.

my handheld keeps updating and displaying as though I kept going
straight ahead at the same exact speed and course as when it
lost the lock. So there is NO warning at all.

Gerald

What model is this? I've owned a Garmin 195 and Magellan 500 and both
started flashing if the lost the signal. I had a older non aviation Gps
and as I recall it did not flash when it lost signal. From my
experience and that of other pilots I've talked with all the aviation
GPS tell you when you lost signal. By the way how does your unit update
if you have lost the signal? I can see it freezing and displaying the
same info but how would it update?
John
Old November 11th 05, 04:12 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
. net...

my handheld keeps updating and displaying as though I kept going straight
ahead at the same exact speed and course as when it
lost the lock.

Does the distance also remain the same?

Old November 11th 05, 04:24 AM
Stan Prevost

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

That seems to be an overly broad statement. I have put "VFR GPS" in
Remarks when filing /U for an off-airways (random) route and had
controllers specifically refer to using my VFR GPS to proceed direct to
an intersection. Whether they should have done so is another issue. But
is sure seemed to make a difference.

In what way?

I misremembered the flight on which I received direct to an intersection.
On that flight, I had filed a combination of airways and direct VOR. At one
point, a controller asked if I could use my VFR GPS to navigate direct to an
intersection, bypassing the VOR I was flying on an airway to.

Do you think I would have been asked to use my VFR GPS to navigate direct to
an intersection if I had not indicated on the flight plan that I was
equipped with a VFR GPS?

Old November 11th 05, 04:37 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message

I misremembered the flight on which I received direct to an intersection.
On that flight, I had filed a combination of airways and direct VOR. At
one point, a controller asked if I could use my VFR GPS to navigate direct
to an intersection, bypassing the VOR I was flying on an airway to.

Do you think I would have been asked to use my VFR GPS to navigate direct
to an intersection if I had not indicated on the flight plan that I was
equipped with a VFR GPS?

My statement was made with regard to filing the flight plan. You don't need
to put "VFR GPS" in remarks when you file if you want a direct route. Just
file direct, ATC will assume you can fly what you file.

Old November 11th 05, 02:04 PM
Charles O'Rourke

Ron Lee wrote:

Your non-IFR GPS has intersections in it? What model is it?

My Garmin GPSMAP 196 has intersections in it. I sure wish it had
airways in there by name too, that would be handy.